[Q] Newly Rooted - Settings Questions

Search This thread

shoelessLinda

Jun 1, 2014
Firstly, huge props to all the devs here for making it possible for me to continue using my Note 3 the way I would prefer! The OTA downloaded to my phone and I wanted to avoid it. Being new to the root process, I spent several days reading here before getting my courage up, but I finally did it yesterday!

• SM-N900V - MJE build now rooted via Vroot

• SU replaced with SuperSU

• Still running my stock 4.3 as I had no issues with it (as I become more comfortable with the process, I'll try other ROMs and perhaps the kitkat NC2, but I'm too green at the moment and would need hand-holding)

• Now using Titanium Backup Pro and ES File Explorer

I have a few total N00B questions ...I could not find answers to in my searches, if someone would be so kind as to help (and please don't laugh ;) )
1) USB debugging: do I leave it on or only turn it on when I need to do some type of operation, and if the latter, how will I know when to turn it on? Are there any risks to leaving it on?
2) Security: unknown sources, I unchecked again after root. Any reason to keep it checked?
3) Titanium Backup: Seems very complicated, but I did manage to freeze SDM. Any specific settings I should consider?
4) How secure is root once it's done, is there anything that can undo it? Anything additional I should do to protect it?
Thanks so much in advance for any additional guidance, I'm loving learning here!

Welcome to the world of phone freedom - it's a whole new world once you're out from under the thumb of Big Red...!

Your questions are all excellent and I'll give you my $0.03 (inflation, you know...):

1) TiBu requires USB debugging be enabled for proper functioning. I don't know why. But if you've not got it enabled, TiBu will throw up a splash screen warning you that it's not gonna be able to do what you want it to do.

2) No reason to keep unknown sources checked. A nice new process in one of the updates (don't know whether it's a Sammy thing or a 4.x.x thing) is that it will go back to unchecked when you side load (it'll flash a warning about unknown sources in setting when you try to side load and you've not checked ok to unknown sources. When you go to settings to allow the install, it'll have as default to go back to secure, not accept from unknown sources after this initial install - works very well). So just keep it off and you'll only check it when you need to. While it's not an issue just yet, this makes sure no one can install some malware without your doing the dumb thing and saying yes to it.

3) Use TiBu to make a schedule or two. I have it renew all my backups twice weekly. It's not something you HAVE to do, but if you want to wipe and flash, you've got access to you most recent apps and settings. Be sure to be careful with TiBu though - it's powerful and with that power, you can f*** your phone up pretty badly. I recently had a schedule to wipe cache 3x/week and it ended up killing my alarms... Try to explain to your boss your late because you're a geek...

4) Root is pretty secure. You can lose it in an update but assuming you've loaded MJE 4.3 and you're happy with that, you'll never lose root unless you purposely rescind it. You'll likely not if/when you update to 4.4 either but I've heard tales of people changing ROMs or updating and losing root. It's never happened to me but stranger things have, so I guess it's possible.

Welcome to the cutting edge! It's freaking awesome up here!

You just changed your smart phone to an effing genius phone! Congrats!

"I've got a revolution behind my eyes..."

--Battle Flag

Reactions: shoelessLinda

shoelessLinda

Jun 1, 2014
Welcome to the world of phone freedom - it's a whole new world once you're out from under the thumb of Big Red...!

Your questions are all excellent and I'll give you my $0.03 (inflation, you know...):

1) TiBu requires USB debugging be enabled for proper functioning. I don't know why. But if you've not got it enabled, TiBu will throw up a splash screen warning you that it's not gonna be able to do what you want it to do.

2) No reason to keep unknown sources checked. A nice new process in one of the updates (don't know whether it's a Sammy thing or a 4.x.x thing) is that it will go back to unchecked when you side load (it'll flash a warning about unknown sources in setting when you try to side load and you've not checked ok to unknown sources. When you go to settings to allow the install, it'll have as default to go back to secure, not accept from unknown sources after this initial install - works very well). So just keep it off and you'll only check it when you need to. While it's not an issue just yet, this makes sure no one can install some malware without your doing the dumb thing and saying yes to it.

3) Use TiBu to make a schedule or two. I have it renew all my backups twice weekly. It's not something you HAVE to do, but if you want to wipe and flash, you've got access to you most recent apps and settings. Be sure to be careful with TiBu though - it's powerful and with that power, you can f*** your phone up pretty badly. I recently had a schedule to wipe cache 3x/week and it ended up killing my alarms... Try to explain to your boss your late because you're a geek...

4) Root is pretty secure. You can lose it in an update but assuming you've loaded MJE 4.3 and you're happy with that, you'll never lose root unless you purposely rescind it. You'll likely not if/when you update to 4.4 either but I've heard tales of people changing ROMs or updating and losing root. It's never happened to me but stranger things have, so I guess it's possible.

--Battle Flag

Thank you so kindly for your excellent and thorough response! (Please forgive my rude delay in replying back, I have been slammed planning for a month long road trip)

I'm relieved to know my questions weren't silly ones; I figure if it's a question in my mind, it may help others as well. For now the only added benefit I have experienced with root is avoiding the kitkat upgrade and ridding myself of that dang nag screen, but this alone is enough to thrill me! When I return from my travels, I look forward to seeing what more this "genius phone" of mine can do!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

--Battle Flag