[14/6/12][ROM] [Touch Install] GB.XXKPH.WT-0.4.0 for Galaxy Player 5.0 Intl & US

Search This thread

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
prezel.png

Custom ROM GB.XXKPH.WT-0.4.0

This is a rework of my previous ROM using a new EU stock ROM (XXKPH). The biggest change from my previous ROM is the installation. I am now using the AROMA installer that has been popping up in many different Android phones. It turns our that the AROMA installer works pretty well with Galaxy Player. It will open up more options for ROM developers in packaging their ROM.

Latest News & Status

[06/14/2012] V0.4.0 is now up for testing.
[06/10/2012] Added a screenshot of RTL support in the coming (V0.4.0) release.
[06/06/2012] V0.3.0 is now up for testing.
[06/01/2012] Added a few screenshots of the installer. V0.3.0 is coming!
[05/04/2012] v0.2.2 is confirmed to be working on US devices.
[05/03/2012] The installation issue is fixed in v0.2.2. So far it is tested on Intl device only. US device users please report back whether the fix is working or not.
[04/29/2012] There is still an installation issue with US devices. [FIXED]
[04/29/2012] Release of v0.2.1. Creating "rom-settings" folder on internal sdcard for used with device id hack.
[04/28/2012] Release of v0.2.0.

Latest Version
GB.XXKPH.WT-0.4.0(International or US)
md5sum: 3ae1f94aa1c99e86d42051199975d32c

Previous Versions
GB.XXKPH.WT-0.3.0(International or US)
md5sum: 4bf58cec58dd2cb3082a8cfcb986d825

GB.XXKPH.WT-0.2.2(International or US)
md5sum: b519a5b603c5dc3e0bb7879d543b348c

Features:
  • (new) Right to left language support. MultiLing keyboard is added if you need one to enter middle east languages.
  • Refactoring of device ID hack
  • Included "WT ROM Tweaker" app for modifying phone parameters
  • Derived from XXKPH 2.3.6 EU ROM
  • AROMA Installer
  • Deodexed, Rooted & Busybox
  • No kernel (so that it works for both US & Intl)
  • Advanced power menu (added Reboot, Recovery & Download)
  • Lidroid Quick Panel (aka 13 status bar toggle buttons with long press)
  • Device ID hack (Similar to Meticulus' hack but a different implementation. See more info below)
  • Change ro.product.model to GT-I9000 for better market compatibility
  • Three choices of boot animation
  • TW Launcher 4.5, GO Launcher EX
  • Whatsapp (good for testing device ID hack)

Additional Tools

• Format-ext4 (i.e. lagfix) This will format /system, /data, /datadata (dbdata) and /cache to ext4. You can use this to wipe your device before installing the base ROM.
  • Format-rfs This will format /system, /data, /datadata (dbdata) and /cache to rfs. You can use this to wipe your device before installing the base ROM.

Version History:
Code:
Change Log:
V0.4.0
- RTL support
- Include MultiLing keyboard

V0.3.0
- Refactoring of device ID hack.
- Added WT ROM Tweaker app for modifying phone parameters.

V0.2.2
- Fixed mount/unmount issue on US devices.

V0.2.1
- Create "rom-settings" folder on sdcard for used by device id hack.

V0.2.0
- Device ID hack
- Changed ro.product.model to GT-I9000 for better compatibility
- Optional boot animations
  (ICS, Glowing Android & Bios)
- Optional launchers
  (TW Launcher 4.5, GO Launcher EX)
- Apps
  (Whatsapp)

V0.1.0
- AROMA Installer
- No kernel
- Deodexed
- Rooted
- Busybox
- Advanced power menu
  (added Reboot, Recovery & Download)
- Lidroid Quick Panel
  (13 status bar toggle buttons)

Prerequisites
  • You have a Galaxy Player 5.0 International or US (YP-G70).
  • For US device, you need to have Entropy's kernel. You can get the kernel in this thread.
  • For international device, you need to have rumirand's kernel. You can get the kernel in this thread.
  • Your internal SD card has more than 200M bytes free.

Installation Instructions
  1. Copy the zip package you downloaded from the link above to your internal sd card.
  2. Turn off your device.
  3. Boot your device into recovery mode by pressing Vol Up+Home+Power. You can release your buttons once you see the Samsung logo.
  4. In main menu, use "wipe data/factory reset" clean up your data directory.
  5. In advanced menu and do a "Wipe Dalvik Cache".
  6. In main menu, select "install zip from sdcard".
  7. Then select "choose zip from internal sdcard".
  8. Pick the zip file you put on the internal sdcard.
  9. Select "Yes" to start the flashing.
  10. Now the AROMA installer will start. Follow the installation steps shown.
  11. At the end of the installation, press 'Finish' and you will go back CWM Recovery.
  12. DO NOT WIPE data after the installation! Otherwise you will wipe out apps installed in the data partition!
  13. If it is a success, go back to main menu and select "reboot system now".

Installation Instructions for Mods
  1. Install the base ROM first using the instructions as shown above.
  2. Install the additional mod using "install zip from sdcard" in CWM.
  3. No need to do data wipe after the installation.
  4. If you want to revert to the base ROM, flash the uninstaller (if available).

Acknowledgement
  • rumirand - For his big contribution in rj's kernel, make sure you visit his kernel thread for latest kernel goodies!
  • Entropy512 - For his big contribution in CWM and kernel deveplopment and helpful comments in the forum. If you have a Galaxy Player 5.0 US, you may find something useful in his kernel thread.
  • dsixda - For his marvelous ROM Kitchen. If you are a newbie like me, make sure you check out his ROM Kitchen thread.
  • Daneshm90 - For his wonderful Auto_Deodexer script. Particularly useful if you want to understand the command behind the scene. See his thread here.
  • untermensch - For his guide on advanced power menu.
  • clockworx, Decad3nce & racks11479 - For their guide on device ID hack.
  • Fr4gg0r - For his TW Launcher 4.5.
  • lidroid - For his 14 status bar toggle buttons.
  • amarullz - For his AROMA Installer.
  • madmack - For his Arabic patch.
  • And countless people who posted on XDA.

Last edited:

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
Information for ROM users

• Device ID Hack - I have made quite a lot of changes to the device id hack. The phone parameters are now moved from "rom-settings" on sdcard to "/data/property" which is a much more standard way to handle properties. Another important feature is the "WT ROM Tweaker" app. The app gives you the ability to change phone parameters like network operator, SIM card serial no. and etc.

Below are some other Network Operators that you can try

Network Operator/ Network Operator Name/Network Country ISO
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    310260 T-Mobile us
    310004 Verizon us
    302720 Rogers ca
    22802 sunrise ch
    22801 swisscom ch
    22803 orange ch
    26207 o2 - de de
    26203 simyo de
    22201 Telstra au
    23203 T-Mobile at
    20416 T-Mobile nl
    27203 Meteor ie
    45419 PCCW hk

• Using Whatsapp - Whatsapp is still not showing up on market therefore I have included the apk in the ROM. With the device ID hack, the Whatsapp can be run on Galaxy Player. After accepting the Whatsapp's agreement, you will be asked for a phone number. You need to enter a REAL phone number for the verification to work. It will try to send a sms to your phone number for verification. But of course the sms verification will fail because the phone number does not belong to the Galaxy Player. After a few minutes, Whatsapp will present you with another option by calling your phone number. You will receive a call from Whatsapp playing back the verification code to you. You can then use the code to register Whatsapp. Now you are set. However, this registration is tied to the IMEI generated by the device id hack. Therefore DO NOT delete the "rom-settings" folder under your sdcard. Otherwise you need to do it all over again when a new IMEI is generated.
  • 13 status bar toggle buttons - To use the toggles, slide down the notification and you can slide the buttons left and right. Pressing the button will toggle the item. Long press the button will bring you to the setting. You can also use the include Quick Setting app to enable and reorder these buttons.
  • Installation Log - If you experience installation issues, you can save the installation log at the last step of your installation. It should be located at the same folder as your ROM zip.

Attachments

• golauncher.jpg
    golauncher.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 3,140
  • go-app-drawer.jpg
    go-app-drawer.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,722
  • launcher-selection.jpg
    launcher-selection.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 2,413
  • device-setting.jpg
    device-setting.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 2,355
  • adv-power-menu.jpg
    adv-power-menu.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,081
  • 13buttons-H.jpg
    13buttons-H.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 2,068
  • deviceid1.jpg
    deviceid1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 2,256
  • deviceid2.jpg
    deviceid2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,994
  • deviceid3.jpg
    deviceid3.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,886
  • 13buttons-V.jpg
    13buttons-V.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,757
  • whatsapp.jpg
    whatsapp.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,799
  • aroma0.jpg
    aroma0.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,239
  • aroma1.jpg
    aroma1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,285
  • aroma6.jpg
    aroma6.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,337
  • aroma7.jpg
    aroma7.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,253
  • aroma9.jpg
    aroma9.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,230
  • aroma10.jpg
    aroma10.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,246
  • wt-rom-tweaker.jpg
    wt-rom-tweaker.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,168
  • RTL1.jpg
    RTL1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,082
Last edited:
Reactions: alireza21

Trae329

Nov 2, 2011
Going to test this right now. Sounds awesome! :D

EDIT: Tried this ROM. It is very smooth, I like it a LOT. However, I'm having some trouble. I can't seem to pick an optional launcher. It doesn't work; it just brings me to the regular TouchWiz 3.0 interface. :L Otherwise, this ROM is great.

Last edited:

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011

EDIT: Tried this ROM. It is very smooth, I like it a LOT. However, I'm having some trouble. I can't seem to pick an optional launcher. It doesn't work; it just brings me to the regular TouchWiz 3.0 interface. :L Otherwise, this ROM is great.

Can you provide more information on the steps you did? Also the TW 4.5 looks very similar to 4.5.

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
This looks great on paper. Gonna try it now and report back later.

Thank you for the effort!

EDIT: The installation went well, but I can't turn on WiFi and Bluetooth. When I try to turn WiFi, it only says "Error".
I have an US version of the SGP 5.0

I only have an Intl version. You are probably the first one try it on US device. Can you give some more information on your installation steps?

SirRhor

I only have an Intl version. You are probably the first one try it on US device. Can you give some more information on your installation steps?

I tried it flashing the ROM from the internal SD card as noted on the instructions.
On the Aroma installer I picked the Stock SGP Boot animation, Touchwiz 4.5 and the Device ID hack.
Once it was completed, I went back to CWM and I rebooted the device.
Everything went well, until I tried to turn WiFi on, then Bluetooth.

After that I tried flashing the ROM from the external SD Card.
I then picked the Stock SGP Boot animation, Default Launcher and the Device ID hack. Same results.

I will keep trying with different configurations.

I hope it helps. Thank you again for this new option.

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
I tried it flashing the ROM from the internal SD card as noted on the instructions.
On the Aroma installer I picked the Stock SGP Boot animation, Touchwiz 4.5 and the Device ID hack.
Once it was completed, I went back to CWM and I rebooted the device.
Everything went well, until I tried to turn WiFi on, then Bluetooth.

After that I tried flashing the ROM from the external SD Card.
I then picked the Stock SGP Boot animation, Default Launcher and the Device ID hack. Same results.

I will keep trying with different configurations.

I hope it helps. Thank you again for this new option.

That's odd. Can you capture the installation log at the last step of the installation? You should see a button for saving the log.

On my device, wifi and bluetooth seems to be working correctly. One possibility is that there are some files that are leftover from previous ROM in /system. In addition to full data wipe, you can try mounting /system and format it under "mounts and storage" in CWM. This will ensure everything got wiped.

SirRhor

That's odd. Can you capture the installation log at the last step of the installation? You should see a button for saving the log.

On my device, wifi and bluetooth seems to be working correctly. One possibility is that there are some files that are leftover from previous ROM in /system. In addition to full data wipe, you can try mounting /system and format it under "mounts and storage" in CWM. This will ensure everything got wiped.

I will provide you with log, but tomorrow, sleepy time here. :)

And yes, everytime I flash a new ROM, I do wipe everything, including Dalvik's, and I never had any problems.
Let's hope tomorrow more users will try this ROM on a US device and see if they too have the same issues as me.

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
I will provide you with log, but tomorrow, sleepy time here. :)

And yes, everytime I flash a new ROM, I do wipe everything, including Dalvik's, and I never had any problems.
Let's hope tomorrow more users will try this ROM on a US device and see if they too have the same issues as me.

Thanks for trying it out.

Trae329

Nov 2, 2011
@WT Ho,

I tried the ROM and selected Go Launcher the next time, and still gave me TW Launcher 3.0. It didn't even install Go Launcher. Also, the Play Store worked for me on Stock ROM. WiFi might have problems with this ROM, but I'll try it again from Stock ROM and give results.

SirRhor

I tried many configurations.
I was not able to reproduce the WiFi problem not turning on, same for Bluetooth.

When I choose to install the Device ID hack is when problems arise. I can connect to wifi but I can't log in to my Google account or my Amazon app store app account.

I choose different launchers and boot animations but I get no problems.

Here's the link for my installation log:

http://db.tt/bS4vPtjs

Sent from my YP-G70

Reactions: WT Ho

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
I tried many configurations.
I was not able to reproduce the WiFi problem not turning on, same for Bluetooth.

When I choose to install the Device ID hack is when problems arise. I can connect to wifi but I can't log in to my Google account or my Amazon app store app account.

I choose different launchers and boot animations but I get no problems.

Here's the link for my installation log:

http://db.tt/bS4vPtjs

Sent from my YP-G70

Yes. Actually I can reproduce the Google log in problem when Device ID hack is selected. This is because the hack requires a directory "rom-settings" on the internal sdcard (i.e. /sdcard/rom-settings). You can manually create that folder on the sdcard.

I will upload a patched release that will create that folder automatically.

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
@WT Ho,

I tried the ROM and selected Go Launcher the next time, and still gave me TW Launcher 3.0. It didn't even install Go Launcher. Also, the Play Store worked for me on Stock ROM. WiFi might have problems with this ROM, but I'll try it again from Stock ROM and give results.

I wonder if you have done a data wipe AFTER installing the ROM? If you do that, you will wipe all the apps that are stored on /data including the launcher you installed.

If that's not what happen, I have to look at your installation log, which can be saved at the last step of the installation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    prezel.png

Custom ROM GB.XXKPH.WT-0.4.0

This is a rework of my previous ROM using a new EU stock ROM (XXKPH). The biggest change from my previous ROM is the installation. I am now using the AROMA installer that has been popping up in many different Android phones. It turns our that the AROMA installer works pretty well with Galaxy Player. It will open up more options for ROM developers in packaging their ROM.

Latest News & Status

[06/14/2012] V0.4.0 is now up for testing.
    [06/10/2012] Added a screenshot of RTL support in the coming (V0.4.0) release.
    [06/06/2012] V0.3.0 is now up for testing.
    [06/01/2012] Added a few screenshots of the installer. V0.3.0 is coming!
    [05/04/2012] v0.2.2 is confirmed to be working on US devices.
    [05/03/2012] The installation issue is fixed in v0.2.2. So far it is tested on Intl device only. US device users please report back whether the fix is working or not.
    [04/29/2012] There is still an installation issue with US devices. [FIXED]
    [04/29/2012] Release of v0.2.1. Creating "rom-settings" folder on internal sdcard for used with device id hack.
    [04/28/2012] Release of v0.2.0.

Latest Version
    GB.XXKPH.WT-0.4.0(International or US)
    md5sum: 3ae1f94aa1c99e86d42051199975d32c

Previous Versions
    GB.XXKPH.WT-0.3.0(International or US)
    md5sum: 4bf58cec58dd2cb3082a8cfcb986d825

GB.XXKPH.WT-0.2.2(International or US)
    md5sum: b519a5b603c5dc3e0bb7879d543b348c

Features:
    • (new) Right to left language support. MultiLing keyboard is added if you need one to enter middle east languages.
    • Refactoring of device ID hack
    • Included "WT ROM Tweaker" app for modifying phone parameters
    • Derived from XXKPH 2.3.6 EU ROM
    • AROMA Installer
    • Deodexed, Rooted & Busybox
    • No kernel (so that it works for both US & Intl)
    • Advanced power menu (added Reboot, Recovery & Download)
    • Lidroid Quick Panel (aka 13 status bar toggle buttons with long press)
    • Device ID hack (Similar to Meticulus' hack but a different implementation. See more info below)
    • Change ro.product.model to GT-I9000 for better market compatibility
    • Three choices of boot animation
    • TW Launcher 4.5, GO Launcher EX
    • Whatsapp (good for testing device ID hack)

Additional Tools

• Format-ext4 (i.e. lagfix) This will format /system, /data, /datadata (dbdata) and /cache to ext4. You can use this to wipe your device before installing the base ROM.
    • Format-rfs This will format /system, /data, /datadata (dbdata) and /cache to rfs. You can use this to wipe your device before installing the base ROM.

Version History:
    Code:
    Change Log:
    V0.4.0
    - RTL support
    - Include MultiLing keyboard

V0.3.0
    - Refactoring of device ID hack.
    - Added WT ROM Tweaker app for modifying phone parameters.

V0.2.2
    - Fixed mount/unmount issue on US devices.

V0.2.1
    - Create "rom-settings" folder on sdcard for used by device id hack.

V0.2.0
    - Device ID hack
    - Changed ro.product.model to GT-I9000 for better compatibility
    - Optional boot animations
      (ICS, Glowing Android & Bios)
    - Optional launchers
      (TW Launcher 4.5, GO Launcher EX)
    - Apps
      (Whatsapp)

V0.1.0
    - AROMA Installer
    - No kernel
    - Deodexed
    - Rooted
    - Busybox
    - Advanced power menu
      (added Reboot, Recovery & Download)
    - Lidroid Quick Panel
      (13 status bar toggle buttons)

Prerequisites
    • You have a Galaxy Player 5.0 International or US (YP-G70).
    • For US device, you need to have Entropy's kernel. You can get the kernel in this thread.
    • For international device, you need to have rumirand's kernel. You can get the kernel in this thread.
    • Your internal SD card has more than 200M bytes free.

Installation Instructions
    1. Copy the zip package you downloaded from the link above to your internal sd card.
    2. Turn off your device.
    3. Boot your device into recovery mode by pressing Vol Up+Home+Power. You can release your buttons once you see the Samsung logo.
    4. In main menu, use "wipe data/factory reset" clean up your data directory.
    5. In advanced menu and do a "Wipe Dalvik Cache".
    6. In main menu, select "install zip from sdcard".
    7. Then select "choose zip from internal sdcard".
    8. Pick the zip file you put on the internal sdcard.
    9. Select "Yes" to start the flashing.
    10. Now the AROMA installer will start. Follow the installation steps shown.
    11. At the end of the installation, press 'Finish' and you will go back CWM Recovery.
    12. DO NOT WIPE data after the installation! Otherwise you will wipe out apps installed in the data partition!
    13. If it is a success, go back to main menu and select "reboot system now".

Installation Instructions for Mods
    1. Install the base ROM first using the instructions as shown above.
    2. Install the additional mod using "install zip from sdcard" in CWM.
    3. No need to do data wipe after the installation.
    4. If you want to revert to the base ROM, flash the uninstaller (if available).

Acknowledgement
    • rumirand - For his big contribution in rj's kernel, make sure you visit his kernel thread for latest kernel goodies!
    • Entropy512 - For his big contribution in CWM and kernel deveplopment and helpful comments in the forum. If you have a Galaxy Player 5.0 US, you may find something useful in his kernel thread.
    • dsixda - For his marvelous ROM Kitchen. If you are a newbie like me, make sure you check out his ROM Kitchen thread.
    • Daneshm90 - For his wonderful Auto_Deodexer script. Particularly useful if you want to understand the command behind the scene. See his thread here.
    • untermensch - For his guide on advanced power menu.
    • clockworx, Decad3nce & racks11479 - For their guide on device ID hack.
    • Fr4gg0r - For his TW Launcher 4.5.
    • lidroid - For his 14 status bar toggle buttons.
    • amarullz - For his AROMA Installer.
    • madmack - For his Arabic patch.
    • And countless people who posted on XDA.
    V0.3.0 is now up for testing! The key feature is the ability to change phone parameters through the included "WT ROM Tweaker" app.

If you are able to get hold of a real phone, you can copy those parameters to your galaxy player.

During the install, you can choose from 3 different phone profiles for HK, US and UK. I have been using the HK profile without much problem but US and UK profiles will need more testing as there are quite a bit of guess work going on in the random generation of SIM serial no. and subscriber ID. One important test is to check if it interfere with the operation of Google market.
    Any progress on the fixed rom? i really like this rom and want to use it badly :)

Sent from my YP-G70 using XDA

It will be online today.

EDIT: Version 0.2.2 is now online, please see if it solves the installation issue on US devices.
    Information for ROM users

• Device ID Hack - I have made quite a lot of changes to the device id hack. The phone parameters are now moved from "rom-settings" on sdcard to "/data/property" which is a much more standard way to handle properties. Another important feature is the "WT ROM Tweaker" app. The app gives you the ability to change phone parameters like network operator, SIM card serial no. and etc.

Below are some other Network Operators that you can try

Network Operator/ Network Operator Name/Network Country ISO
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      310260 T-Mobile us
      310004 Verizon us
      302720 Rogers ca
      22802 sunrise ch
      22801 swisscom ch
      22803 orange ch
      26207 o2 - de de
      26203 simyo de
      22201 Telstra au
      23203 T-Mobile at
      20416 T-Mobile nl
      27203 Meteor ie
      45419 PCCW hk

• Using Whatsapp - Whatsapp is still not showing up on market therefore I have included the apk in the ROM. With the device ID hack, the Whatsapp can be run on Galaxy Player. After accepting the Whatsapp's agreement, you will be asked for a phone number. You need to enter a REAL phone number for the verification to work. It will try to send a sms to your phone number for verification. But of course the sms verification will fail because the phone number does not belong to the Galaxy Player. After a few minutes, Whatsapp will present you with another option by calling your phone number. You will receive a call from Whatsapp playing back the verification code to you. You can then use the code to register Whatsapp. Now you are set. However, this registration is tied to the IMEI generated by the device id hack. Therefore DO NOT delete the "rom-settings" folder under your sdcard. Otherwise you need to do it all over again when a new IMEI is generated.
    • 13 status bar toggle buttons - To use the toggles, slide down the notification and you can slide the buttons left and right. Pressing the button will toggle the item. Long press the button will bring you to the setting. You can also use the include Quick Setting app to enable and reorder these buttons.
    • Installation Log - If you experience installation issues, you can save the installation log at the last step of your installation. It should be located at the same folder as your ROM zip.

Can you provide more information on the steps you did? Also the TW 4.5 looks very similar to 4.5.