[Canada][Bell/Telus/Rogers/etc] i747m Android 4.3 Jelly Bean available + root method

Search This thread

HiKsFiles

Aug 7, 2010
Québec city

:victory: Good news, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean for the Canadian i747m is here!! :victory:

Android version : 4.3
Version number / Baseband : I747MVLUEMK5
Kernel version : 3.0.31-2140838​

Thanks to @hyelton who provided fast mirrors to, as of now, Bell, Telus, Rogers and Koodo images
http://storagecow.eu/index.php?dir=Xda/Galaxy+S3/Stock+Roms/4.3/Canada/

Old links below. They still work, but are awfully slow!

If you are running stock, check if an OTA is available for you.
If not, you can alway get it from sammobile.com or samsung-updates.com... links to official firmwares below.
Please note, we are missing Virgin image links!

If you're looking for pre-rooted & deodexed CWM/TWRP flashable versions (with or without KNOX), please look at @kriEv thread here

Guys, please keep all canadian i747m 4.3 Jelly Bean discussions here so that we do not clutter the forum with useless threads.

Installation & root method with CF-Root by @SkyboneNoya
Update:
If you already have a custom recovery installed :
Make a recovery backup of your current rom
(to restore to after you get a custom recovery installed and save it to your computer as well as backing up all SD cards... It’s just a good practice.)

If coming from any other ROM than stock 4.1.2 :
Install 4.1.2 update with odin via SamMobile.com
Clear data/cache/dalvik in recovery (or hang on the Samsung logo for the night).
Upgrade to 4.3 OTA or via Odin
Hint : Use provided links to your carriers images above! ;)

Root method
Go to [SGH-I747/M] CF-Auto-Root|
Follow the steps on post 2 in that thread.
Once rebooted: open up SuperSU, click OK then normal and reboot.

I used the KNOX uninstaller and when trying to restore back to stock I had google apps issue warning locking me out of the system. So use at your own discretion.
You should be good to go.
The rest is pretty easy.

Also, you might have trouble installing custom roms at this point. I747MVLUEMK5 is probably not listed in the installers yet. That's a whole other story.
Other options here as well if the above didn’t work for you. |Guide|How-To| Root & Install Custom Recovery for 4.3 Update |22 Nov 2013|

To enable USB debugging through Developer Options, go in System Settings/About and click on build number about 7 times. (old google trick if you didn’t know)

PS. Thanks and donations to Chainfire and other helping community members creating these easy to find threads for us should be common cents ;)

WARNING : Carrier IQ seems to be present for all 3 major carriers as found here by @DexedrineXR
UPDATE : @D0T-C0M got an answer from Fido, who asked Samsung directly, stating that no phone sold in Canada has Carrier IQ installed.
Source here

DISCLAIMER : I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards or whatever happens to your phone. You are expected to know what you are doing when attempting to flash your phone.

Last edited:

Wond3r

Aug 24, 2008
Thanks! Just waiting for a pre rooted telus version to pop up on here now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

alexvtr

Just completed the update. So far, so good.
Some minor (but nice) visual enhancements, speed is at least as good as before, nothing to complain about but nothing groundbreaking (but nobody was expecting that from 4.3).
Can't post a screeshot right now but baseband is mk5 and kernel is 3.0.31-2140838

I updated with kies and I'm with Rogers.
I haven't done a factory reset (like I usually do after a major update) but the responsiveness of my phone makes me believe it may not be necessary. Time will tell.

Reactions: shaboobla

TKG26

Aug 29, 2008
Stupid queation... Can i flash the zip through twrp.? Or do i nees to go back to stock unrooted state to get this update.?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

TKG26

Aug 29, 2008
Ok thanks.

Ill fireup odin tonight im on 4.1.2 rooted rom now.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

fr3d0x

May 7, 2009
im on quntum rom kitkat right now,can i flash this with odin? or i have to install 4.1.2 first¿?

SkyboneNoya

Jan 21, 2012
im on quntum rom kitkat right now,can i flash this with odin? or i have to install 4.1.2 first¿?

Using Odin to go back to 4.1.2 Fido here. Pick whatever carrier 4.1.2 you need from Firmwares.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

Had to go into recovery which I still had after flashing 4.1.2 over odin. Wiped data/cache and reboot.

Downloaded installed 4.3 OTA Just going to try gain root and see how it goes.

Last edited:

entheogenx

Oct 6, 2013
Updating the baseband

Hi, I am running my s3 i747m fido on Quantum Rom V3 RC3 kitkat 4.4. I was wondering can i flash the Fido baseband using recovery. (I have Clockwork Mod for my recovery screen). Or do I need to go back to stock to do this first?

thanks

Andrew_han

Jul 15, 2011
Stratford
Was on quantam, downloaded this and flashed it via odin, installed fine but taking forever to boot just samsung and the led is blue

entheogenx

Oct 6, 2013
what if I use only clockworkmod to flash it? Will it brick my phone ?

Also I bought the phone from Rogers but I am using it with Fido. Which baseband should I use Fido or Rogers?

shaboobla

Also I bought the phone from Rogers but I am using it with Fido. Which baseband should I use Fido or Rogers?

The files on sammobile are full firmware files, which include bootloader, modem etc. You can use kies or odin to flash them but i don't think you can through cwm.

I'd use the Rogers firmware if it was me, but I can't be sure.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: entheogenx

SkyboneNoya

Jan 21, 2012
My post above explains how to get 4.3 ota from quantum 4.4 I've yet to try gain root.

Using Odin to go back to 4.1.2 Fido here. Pick whatever carrier 4.1.2 you need from Firmwares.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

Had to go into recovery which I still had after flashing 4.1.2 over odin. Wiped data/cache and reboot.

Downloaded installed 4.3 OTA Just going to try gain root and see how it goes.

Was on quantam, downloaded this and flashed it via odin, installed fine but taking forever to boot just samsung and the led is blue

Try get into recovery and wipe data/cache

Use whatever firmware you got with the phone. Rogers would come with Rogers.

Reactions: Andrew_han

entheogenx

Oct 6, 2013
Thanks for the replies.

Because I am not too familiar with Odin, If I go back to stock and install the 4.3 firmware via OTA then root the phone and install Quantum Rom will the firmware still be updated? Sorry if it is a newb questions.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts