[Q] /system/app/books.apk unexpected contents. But no such apk exist!

Search This thread

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
My Nexus 7 LTE is rooted with stock ROM. I am trying to upgrade to 4.4.2 and it failed because of the error message:

/system/app/books.apk unexpected contents. Installation aborted.

However, searching the folder using ES Explorer, I don't even see this books.apk

My questions are:
1. How is it possible the upgrade fail for an apk that didn't even exist?

2. If all else fail, what can I do to upgrade to 4.4.2 via OTA?

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
My Nexus 7 LTE is rooted with stock ROM. I am trying to upgrade to 4.4.2 and it failed because of the error message:

/system/app/books.apk unexpected contents. Installation aborted.

However, searching the folder using ES Explorer, I don't even see this books.apk

My questions are:
1. How is it possible the upgrade fail for an apk that didn't even exist?

2. If all else fail, what can I do to upgrade to 4.4.2 via OTA?

When you rooted your N7, did you by chance delete some of the "unnecessary" Google apps like Google Play Books? Because if you've removed any of those system apps, the update will fail everytime. That's what this looks like to me. Are you using a custom recovery, or stock recovery?

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
When you rooted your N7, did you by chance delete some of the "unnecessary" Google apps like Google Play Books? Because if you've removed any of those system apps, the update will fail everytime. That's what this looks like to me. Are you using a custom recovery, or stock recovery?

Ah you're right! I did uninstall Google Play Books using Titanium Backup. I thought this is just another Google Apps, since it is available from Google Play.

I don't have recovery like TWRP.

I'll try installing these Google Apps again and installing the updates.

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
Ah you're right! I did uninstall Google Play Books using Titanium Backup. I thought this is just another Google Apps, since it is available from Google Play.

Yeah. If that's the only thing you did, then reinstalling them should do the trick.

Reactions: lanwarrior

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yeah. If that's the only thing you did, then reinstalling them should do the trick.