/efs partition not being mounted

Search This thread

Bloodyskullz

Oct 13, 2010
I just got a note 2 (i317m - canadian carrier model) that got messed up some how. When attempted to boot the phone it said unable to mount efs partition. My research tells me that partition that contains module info such as IMEI, bluetooth, wifi are stored in that partition. Now I realize why the repair guy wanted $350 to fix it.

Is there a way I can tackle this problem on my own and try and fix it? Apparently there is a tool here in XDA that can wipe the partition but I am not sure if that would rebuild it and allow me to mount it so I can create a new data file with the IMEI number in it.

Where should I start to attempt to fix the problem.

Please note, I can still access recovery (currently TWRP installed) and download mode and use ODIN if necessary to flash back a stock rom BUT can't mount to the computer for any file transfers nor can I boot the android device (stays at samsung logo). I have no issue using ADB is neccessary if I am lead in the right direction. This phone is already trashed in the eyes of the owner so its basically a little project for me to tackle when i have time to kill.

Last edited:

m.b.jikre

Nov 30, 2012
Pune
I just got a note 2 (i317m - canadian carrier model) that got messed up some how. When attempted to boot the phone it said unable to mount efs partition. My research tells me that partition that contains module info such as IMEI, bluetooth, wifi are stored in that partition. Now I realize why the repair guy wanted $350 to fix it.

Is there a way I can tackle this problem on my own and try and fix it? Apparently there is a tool here in XDA that can wipe the partition but I am not sure if that would rebuild it and allow me to mount it so I can create a new data file with the IMEI number in it.

Where should I start to attempt to fix the problem.

Please note, I can still access recovery (currently TWRP installed) and download mode and use ODIN if necessary to flash back a stock rom BUT can't mount to the computer for any file transfers nor can I boot the android device (stays at samsung logo). I have no issue using ADB is neccessary if I am lead in the right direction. This phone is already trashed in the eyes of the owner so its basically a little project for me to tackle when i have time to kill.
Have you tried flashing your official rom? Flash your official firmware by downloading it from sampro.pl or sammobile.com, flash it with PC Odin under PDA tab.
After you done, don't let reboot your phone, goto recovery by pressing vol up+ menu key then power key(continuously hold it until your phone restarts might be 4~8 secs.) Then check 'Wipe Cache Partition', and then reboot phone.