[Tutorial] How to flash factory images with LG Flashtool

Search This thread

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
Only you are the responsible if you brick your device. I tried the whole method a few times and no problems so far, but random things could happen.

What is LG Flashtool?
  • LG Flashtool is used by LG to flash firmwares to phones.

What are the advantages of using LG Flashtool?
  • The flashing process is faster than the fastboot flashing process.
    [*]You don't need unlocked bootloader to flash.
    [*]It locks bootloader and resets tamper flag.

What are the disadvantages of using LG Flashtool?
  • Your battery level must be over 10%.
    [*]It changes the device factory version. If your phone had KFS78N version of android initially and you flash a KRT16M firmware, then the device factory version is going to change from KFS78N to KRT16M.
    [*]LGD821AT-00-V10a-NXS-XX-OCT-01-2013-KFS78N-USER-16G+0 ==> LGD821AT-00-V10b-NXS-XX-OCT-31-2013-KRT16M-USER-16G+0
    [*]This info stored on the misc partition at the 0x00008800 offset. You can change it back to the original one if it bothers you.
    [*]To get your original device factory version then just open the log file in the LOG folder which is created at the location of the DLL and TOT file and search for "device factory version" text.
    [*]I made a flashable zip (mirror) which bacups the device factory version to /sdcard/version.txt. After the backup just copy the txt to your PC. Then here is the restore zip (mirror). Just place the version.txt to /sdcard and flash the zip to restore.

Preparation (you have to do it only for the first time)

• Download LG drivers (mirror)and install it.
  • Download LG Flashtool (mirror)and install it.
  • Create a folder where you put the DLL and the Firmware file.
  • Download DLL: D820 (mirror) (North American version) D821 (mirror) (Global version). Place the DLL to the created folder.
  • Download firmware: D820 (mirror) (North American version) D821 (mirror) (Global version) Place the TOT file to the created folder.
  • Turn off the phone.
  • Hold down volume_up key then connect USB cable.
  • If you see these screens bellow then the phone is in Download Mode and you are on the right path:
    12389368801_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png
    2556083392_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png
  • Let windows to install the drivers for the new devices.
  • Change the port number to 41:
7987198111_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. Open Device Manager.
  2. Right click on LGE Mobile USB Serial Port (COMxx) (where xx is the port number).
  3. Click on Properties.
8179622862_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. Select Port Settings tab
  2. Click on Advance...
310314793_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. Change COM Port Number to COM41

If you don't want to flash any firmware yet just hold down the power key for 10-15 secs then your phone turns on.

Flashing the firmware

• Enter your phone to Download Mode.
  • Start LG flash tool.
  • If Model Config window does not start, then click on the sign with two cogwheels.
4651856764_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. Place a tick next at Select Manual Mode
  2. Click on "..." and select the DLL file for your device.
  3. Click on Add to add the TOT file.
  4. Click OK.
12294208695_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. Click on the yellow arrow sign to start flashing.
699082986_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. If you see READY!!, then reconnect your phone. Then "Waiting for Connection" text will appear in the COM41 window.
11663889367_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. At 80% the phone will shut off, don't be scared.
11562205838_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. DONE! The LED on the phone is starts blinking green. Just remove the usb cable wait until the blinking stops then turn on your device.

Restore device factory version (optional)
  1. Create a new txt file called "version.txt" and open it.
  2. Paste your device factory version from the log file located in the LOG folder where the DLL and TOT file are. Search for "device factory version" text in the log file
  3. Copy version.txt to the root of the sdcard (/sdcard).
  4. Download the restore_device_factory_version.zip (mirror).
  5. Flash restore_device_factory_version.zip in recovery.

Videos

LG Flashtool:
Restore device factory version:

Credits
All the guys from [REF] [TOT] Stock Firmware Collection for Nexus 5 (D820 & D821) thread.

Code:
In PDF ([URL="https://mega.co.nz/#!584SzYbC!hSiymZnhn1SVBqwjOY7qsXB4PvgPnYDwYRnMIid9pfE"].docx for translate[/URL]):
[URL="https://mega.co.nz/#!koRHkIYa!L6esc81aRvQ3PdbklRgdrQZTIu-vbhhbfC6mam4gIzo"]English-English_LGFlashtool.pdf[/URL]
[URL="https://mega.co.nz/#!lwZxhDLa!9L9HE0qjGZ3iIxi01m6nm1EYt23zllri8K9s__5Nmcw"]Magyar-Hungarian_LGFlashtool.pdf[/URL]

Last edited:

funky_snowman

Jul 3, 2011
I've never really thought of Fastboot as slow by any means. Writing a system.IMG can take a few seconds, but everything else is generally done within a couple of seconds. Writing to memory sounds safer to me as well. If it ain't broke, as they say.

ilanderek

Apr 13, 2013
Mexico
This is awesome! People its not only that it is REALLY faster and secure to flash with this, but think of it in this way, my phone got screwed up, my flash memory died there for I tried to RMA it, the fact that the bootloader was unlocked was a problem and since there was no way to fix it I had to battle for a while, I RECOMMEND THIS WAY OF FLASHING GREATLY in case something happens to your phone you can be sure your warranty will be still there!:good:

maxal

Jan 17, 2012
Southampton
Hi, Can you help me please.I have downloaded everything and set up the drivers as instructed but when I click on start Lg flash tool to start the process I get a message saying LG USB/Parallel lock key is not detected and then a login box pops up which has the country set as Republic of Korea in the first box and then it wants an ID and password entered. SOLVED

Last edited:

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Great work @bitdomo on putting this together!

How is this quicker than fastboot?

Sent from my Nexus 5

I've never really thought of Fastboot as slow by any means. Writing a system.IMG can take a few seconds, but everything else is generally done within a couple of seconds. Writing to memory sounds safer to me as well. If it ain't broke, as they say.
I think one of the main advantages that bitdomo may have forgot to mention is that this will work even if fastboot won't (in most cases). For example, say you had a bad bootloader flash, and now you cannot access the bootloader. Consequently, you are not able to flash images using fastboot. However, using LG Flash Tool (or LGNPST) should still allow you to flash your device and get back to a stock state.

Now, the one thing that remains is to figure out how to flash the device using QPST... :)

Last edited:

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd

I think one of the main advantages that bitdomo may have forgot to mention is that this will work even if fastboot won't (in most cases). For example, say you had a bad bootloader flash, and now you cannot access the bootloader. Consequently, you are not able to flash images using fastboot. However, using LG Flash Tool (or LGNPST) should still allow you to flash your device and get back to a stock state.

Now, the one thing that remains is to figure out how to flash the device using QPST... :)

Yes I forgot to say that :).

People who killed their bootloaders get Qualcomm HS-USB QDloader 9008 device (without drivers it is QHSUSB_BULK) when they connect their devices to the PC. If they try to enter Download mode they get a black screen as well, but on the pc LGE androidnet serial usb port device comes up. Atleast two out of two people's phone do these symptoms. I don't know what's with the others. LGE androidnet serial usb port device is used to setup CDMA networks on nexus 5, there is a thread about it somewhere. So in short LGE androidnet serial usb port is useless for LG flashtool.

I started an investigation on LGE androidnet serial usb port device to figure out why this comes up for that two people. I found out when you try to enter to Download mode then the phone boots up the LAF image, which is a kernel image like recovery.img or boot.img. I extracted the ramdisk of the LAF (it is on the laf partition) and I found this file init.laf.usb.rc.

Code:
# init.laf.usb.rc

# it can run as user cable
on property:ro.boot.laf=USER
	wait /sys/class/android_usb/android0/enable
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/enable 0
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/idVendor 1004
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/idProduct 6000
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/bDeviceClass 2
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/bDeviceSubClass 0
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/bDeviceProtocol 0
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/f_acm/acm_transports tty
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/f_diag/clients diag
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/functions acm,laf
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/enable 1

# it can run as user cable for PID of verizon
on property:ro.boot.laf=VUSER
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/idProduct 6246
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/bDeviceClass 239
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/bDeviceSubClass 2
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/bDeviceProtocol 1
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/functions acm,laf,ecm

# it can run as factory cable(910K USB cable)
on property:ro.boot.laf=910K

# it can run as factory cable(56K USB cable)
on property:ro.boot.laf=56K

# it can run as factory cable(130K USB cable)
on property:ro.boot.laf=130K

# it can run as user cable for QCT PID
on property:ro.boot.laf=QCOM
	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/idVendor 05C6
    write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/idProduct 903A
    write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/functions mtp,laf

So, for some reasone for those two guys the laf runs the "on property:ro.boot.laf=QCOM" lines and not the "on property:ro.boot.laf=USER" lines. In the comments you can see both of this mode triggered by "user" cable. I think "user" cable means the normal usb cable. There are 3 more "modes" for 56k, 130k, 910k cables all of these three are identical with "on property:ro.boot.laf=USER" settings. Maybe if that two people get or make one of those cable then they can avoid to get the "on property:ro.boot.laf=QCOM" lines run.

I attached the ramdisk to this post.

Attachments

• ramdisk.rar
    5 MB · Views: 258
Last edited:

RoxAbout

Sep 13, 2010
Climax, Ks.
[/I]
[/LIST]

[/CODE]

Hi as I was on the image link on mega the one that is named as the same as the one installed on my phone...you have the folder marked "Converted"
How is the image Converted/modified?
Thanks in advance
:confused:

P.S. Could you also Please post the md5 chksums for all of the files, save a brick!

Last edited:

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
Hi as I was on the image link on mega the one that is named as the same as the one installed on my phone...you have the folder marked "Converted"
Thanks in advance

P.S. Could you also Please post the md5 chksums for all of the files, save a brick!

Converted means it is from the other nexus 5 variant. I just changed a text from D820 to D821 and vice-versa, since all nexus 5 the same, using tot images from the other variant cant cause problem. To test out my theory i flashed the d820 kfs78n rom to my d821 and no problem. Here read this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51651325&postcount=82

Tot files has crc check, but if you feel it safer i can make the md5 sums.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el

Reactions: efrant and RoxAbout

Cuxx

Feb 22, 2010
Hey. I tried this method because I want to go back 2 stock & reset the tamperflag

But I got this (check the screenshot). I used both files (oct/dec)/ It's the 16GB version (europe/821).

Wrong driver?

The device had LGD821AT-00-V10d-NXS-XX-DEC-11-2013-KOT49H-USER-16G+0 on it.

Attachments

• lge.PNG
    lge.PNG
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,270
Last edited:

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
Hey. I tried this method because I want to go back 2 stock & reset the tamperflag

But I got this (check the screenshot). I used both files (oct/dec)/ It's the 16GB version (europe/821).

Wrong driver?

The device had LGD821AT-00-V10d-NXS-XX-DEC-11-2013-KOT49H-USER-16G+0 on it.

It should work. you get those screens on your phone what I posted in the OP? If it is that case then it must be a driver issue. The device name in the device manager seems okay.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Only you are the responsible if you brick your device. I tried the whole method a few times and no problems so far, but random things could happen.

What is LG Flashtool?
    • LG Flashtool is used by LG to flash firmwares to phones.

What are the advantages of using LG Flashtool?
    • The flashing process is faster than the fastboot flashing process.
      [*]You don't need unlocked bootloader to flash.
      [*]It locks bootloader and resets tamper flag.

What are the disadvantages of using LG Flashtool?
    • Your battery level must be over 10%.
      [*]It changes the device factory version. If your phone had KFS78N version of android initially and you flash a KRT16M firmware, then the device factory version is going to change from KFS78N to KRT16M.
      [*]LGD821AT-00-V10a-NXS-XX-OCT-01-2013-KFS78N-USER-16G+0 ==> LGD821AT-00-V10b-NXS-XX-OCT-31-2013-KRT16M-USER-16G+0
      [*]This info stored on the misc partition at the 0x00008800 offset. You can change it back to the original one if it bothers you.
      [*]To get your original device factory version then just open the log file in the LOG folder which is created at the location of the DLL and TOT file and search for "device factory version" text.
      [*]I made a flashable zip (mirror) which bacups the device factory version to /sdcard/version.txt. After the backup just copy the txt to your PC. Then here is the restore zip (mirror). Just place the version.txt to /sdcard and flash the zip to restore.

Preparation (you have to do it only for the first time)

• Download LG drivers (mirror)and install it.
    • Download LG Flashtool (mirror)and install it.
    • Create a folder where you put the DLL and the Firmware file.
    • Download DLL: D820 (mirror) (North American version) D821 (mirror) (Global version). Place the DLL to the created folder.
    • Download firmware: D820 (mirror) (North American version) D821 (mirror) (Global version) Place the TOT file to the created folder.
    • Turn off the phone.
    • Hold down volume_up key then connect USB cable.
    • If you see these screens bellow then the phone is in Download Mode and you are on the right path:
      12389368801_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png
      2556083392_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png
    • Let windows to install the drivers for the new devices.
    • Change the port number to 41:
    7987198111_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. Open Device Manager.
    2. Right click on LGE Mobile USB Serial Port (COMxx) (where xx is the port number).
    3. Click on Properties.
    8179622862_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. Select Port Settings tab
    2. Click on Advance...
    310314793_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. Change COM Port Number to COM41

If you don't want to flash any firmware yet just hold down the power key for 10-15 secs then your phone turns on.

Flashing the firmware

• Enter your phone to Download Mode.
    • Start LG flash tool.
    • If Model Config window does not start, then click on the sign with two cogwheels.
    4651856764_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. Place a tick next at Select Manual Mode
    2. Click on "..." and select the DLL file for your device.
    3. Click on Add to add the TOT file.
    4. Click OK.
    12294208695_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. Click on the yellow arrow sign to start flashing.
    699082986_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. If you see READY!!, then reconnect your phone. Then "Waiting for Connection" text will appear in the COM41 window.
    11663889367_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. At 80% the phone will shut off, don't be scared.
    11562205838_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

1. DONE! The LED on the phone is starts blinking green. Just remove the usb cable wait until the blinking stops then turn on your device.

Restore device factory version (optional)
    1. Create a new txt file called "version.txt" and open it.
    2. Paste your device factory version from the log file located in the LOG folder where the DLL and TOT file are. Search for "device factory version" text in the log file
    3. Copy version.txt to the root of the sdcard (/sdcard).
    4. Download the restore_device_factory_version.zip (mirror).
    5. Flash restore_device_factory_version.zip in recovery.

Videos

LG Flashtool:
    Restore device factory version:

Credits
    All the guys from [REF] [TOT] Stock Firmware Collection for Nexus 5 (D820 & D821) thread.

Code:
    In PDF ([URL="https://mega.co.nz/#!584SzYbC!hSiymZnhn1SVBqwjOY7qsXB4PvgPnYDwYRnMIid9pfE"].docx for translate[/URL]):
    [URL="https://mega.co.nz/#!koRHkIYa!L6esc81aRvQ3PdbklRgdrQZTIu-vbhhbfC6mam4gIzo"]English-English_LGFlashtool.pdf[/URL]
    [URL="https://mega.co.nz/#!lwZxhDLa!9L9HE0qjGZ3iIxi01m6nm1EYt23zllri8K9s__5Nmcw"]Magyar-Hungarian_LGFlashtool.pdf[/URL]

Sent from my Nexus 5

Fastboot: Phone restarts twice. Send the images to the phone memory, after the whole image has been sent, then the phone write it to the emmc from the memory.
    LG flashtool: writes the images directly to the emmc.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Yes I forgot to say that :).

People who killed their bootloaders get Qualcomm HS-USB QDloader 9008 device (without drivers it is QHSUSB_BULK) when they connect their devices to the PC. If they try to enter Download mode they get a black screen as well, but on the pc LGE androidnet serial usb port device comes up. Atleast two out of two people's phone do these symptoms. I don't know what's with the others. LGE androidnet serial usb port device is used to setup CDMA networks on nexus 5, there is a thread about it somewhere. So in short LGE androidnet serial usb port is useless for LG flashtool.

I started an investigation on LGE androidnet serial usb port device to figure out why this comes up for that two people. I found out when you try to enter to Download mode then the phone boots up the LAF image, which is a kernel image like recovery.img or boot.img. I extracted the ramdisk of the LAF (it is on the laf partition) and I found this file init.laf.usb.rc.

Code:
    # init.laf.usb.rc

# it can run as user cable
    on property:ro.boot.laf=USER

# it can run as user cable for PID of verizon
    on property:ro.boot.laf=VUSER
    	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/idProduct 6246
    	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/bDeviceClass 239
    	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/bDeviceSubClass 2
    	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/bDeviceProtocol 1
    	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/functions acm,laf,ecm

# it can run as factory cable(910K USB cable)
    on property:ro.boot.laf=910K

# it can run as factory cable(56K USB cable)
    on property:ro.boot.laf=56K

# it can run as factory cable(130K USB cable)
    on property:ro.boot.laf=130K

# it can run as user cable for QCT PID
    on property:ro.boot.laf=QCOM
    	write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/idVendor 05C6
        write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/idProduct 903A
        write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/functions mtp,laf

So, for some reasone for those two guys the laf runs the "on property:ro.boot.laf=QCOM" lines and not the "on property:ro.boot.laf=USER" lines. In the comments you can see both of this mode triggered by "user" cable. I think "user" cable means the normal usb cable. There are 3 more "modes" for 56k, 130k, 910k cables all of these three are identical with "on property:ro.boot.laf=USER" settings. Maybe if that two people get or make one of those cable then they can avoid to get the "on property:ro.boot.laf=QCOM" lines run.

I attached the ramdisk to this post.
    Thanks in advance

Converted means it is from the other nexus 5 variant. I just changed a text from D820 to D821 and vice-versa, since all nexus 5 the same, using tot images from the other variant cant cause problem. To test out my theory i flashed the d820 kfs78n rom to my d821 and no problem. Here read this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51651325&postcount=82

Tot files has crc check, but if you feel it safer i can make the md5 sums.