[REG Hack] How to get live tiles working again [Possible solution for all]

Search This thread

colossus_r

Feb 10, 2007
Huawei P40 Pro
I have my HD2 flashed with WP7 rom and i very happy with it...

After installing more apps withlive tiles i start to have probs with live tiles not working or updating..

I start digging the web for possible solution and i ended up at this site
http://mobilitydigest.com/the-live-...m_campaign=Feed:+FuzeMobility+(Fuze+Mobility)

This article was a relevation to me...
I learn a lot about the live tiles and that developers with bad apps can be the cose of the this problem...

So the short story :

If you have problem with live tiles then open the registry and check those 2 keys
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PushClient\Endpoints
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PushClient\ManagedEndpoints

Probably the Endpoint key has more that 20 entrys and the ManagedEndpoints arround 10 keys..

What i did to solve my live tile prob
1. I did disable the live update in all my apps.
2. I Delete all the keys in the Endpoints keys ans reboot my phone.
3. After that i start all the live till apps and re-enable the live tile ...

After 10 min boom!!!!!!!!! all my live tiles where working again...

I know that a lot of ppl have probs with live tiles so if anyone try this please report back your findings
Thanks again Jim Szymanski from Mobility Digest for this usefull info

Update
Seems that if you delete the key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PushClient\Endpoints its faster (than deleting one by one all the entrys)
and does the same job.

colossus

Last edited:

colossus_r

Feb 10, 2007
Huawei P40 Pro
curious, any live tile? can you name just one which doesn't work to check? Since I am not missing anything I guess mine must be all working.

I was having probs with most of the non MS live tiles sinse i did install and remove a lot of apps...
For example Beezz and tweetmo are 2 apps with probs...

Now after trying this all are OK...
I did some search the net and seems that its a problem with a lot of WP7 users...

colossus

bevoc

Jan 3, 2008
kuala lumpur
no problems here

i guess its just an issue with ported wp7 on hd2. i have sideloaded a lot of 3rd party live tiles and all seem to behave well, before and after nodo update. but i will keep this thread in mind just in case my start screen screws up later. good find and thanks for sharing.

p/s: my friend is using wp7 on hd2 and his livetiles (even the default contacts) does not update and soemtimes seemed like it crashed

tomgreer

Dec 1, 2008
I used this to fix the live tile problem on my Samsung Focus. It worked great.

None of my non-Microsoft live tiles were working at the time.

BruthazKeepah

Feb 18, 2008
London
wowww...no one has any live tile probs to try this ?????

Any one with some feedback?????
Found the Mobility Digest article few weeks ago, and have been regularly using it. Works brilliant and sorts out the problem.

One thing that helps "kick-start" the live tiles (after doing like first post says) is to start the app, and do something with (i.e. if its a chat client, send & recieve a message... If its Send to WP7, send yourself a link, etc)... once this is done, it should be ready to push things again.

optyqus

Sep 8, 2007
Romania, NT
What 3rd party apps have live tiles? None of the apps I installed seem to have live tiles (htc youtube, facebook, xda app etc). Standard live tiles like People & Zune work perfect on my HD2.

Sent from my HTC HD2 Gingerbread using XDA Premium App

colossus_r

Feb 10, 2007
Huawei P40 Pro
What 3rd party apps have live tiles? None of the apps I installed seem to have live tiles (htc youtube, facebook, xda app etc). Standard live tiles like People & Zune work perfect on my HD2.
Sent from my HTC HD2 Gingerbread using XDA Premium App
Here is a big list of WP7 live tile apps
http://wmpoweruser.com/a-long-big-of-windows-phone-7-live-tile-apps/

so in order to fix live tiles i need to make some changes in registry ?
cause i wrote nothing about editing it
and how u disabled all updates in apps ?
sorry for that but im new in whole registry editing stuff

Yes to fix this you need to make some changes to the registry with a registry editor...
To disable the live time from apps you go in every app that has live tile and disable the functionanily from apps settings...

colossus

Last edited:

megagprime

Aug 6, 2008
WORKED PERFECTLY ON MY LG OPTIMUS7 =)

Thank you, now my astronomy tile of the day works like its supposed to ;)

stupid m$

kronos1

May 30, 2009

After installing more apps withlive tiles i start to have probs with live tiles not working or updating..

http://mobilitydigest.com/the-live-...m_campaign=Feed:+FuzeMobility+(Fuze+Mobility)

I learn a lot about the live tiles and that developers with bad apps can be the cose of the this problem...

So the short story :

If you have problem with live tiles then open the registry and check those 2 keys

Probably the Endpoint key has more that 20 entrys and the ManagedEndpoints arround 10 keys..

I know that a lot of ppl have probs with live tiles so if anyone try this please report back your findings

colossus

what endpoints key you delete? "Endpoints" only? or "Menage Endpoinst" keys to? How can l disable live tiles,l have hd7 and my live tiles htc hub,marketplace search,are dead-not changing

Update: done it all and nothing,htc hub live tile does not update

Last edited:

colossus_r

Feb 10, 2007
Huawei P40 Pro
what endpoints key you delete? "Endpoints" only? or "Menage Endpoinst" keys to? How can l disable live tiles,l have hd7 and my live tiles htc hub,marketplace search,are dead-not changing
Update: done it all and nothing,htc hub live tile does not update

Hi m8
You must delete all the entrys in the Endpoints branch....NOT the ManagedEndpoints

Then you must reboot the phone and wait for a while ...
Also there is a version of HTC hub (1.5) that i use and works fine...
If you can install xaps's (sideloading) then i will post it tomorow from my office

colossus

Hi m8
If you can install xaps's (sideloading) then i will post it tomorow from my office
colossus
thanks again for the instructions. I coudn't tell whether live tiles were working or not. I deleted the entries in the endpoints anyway and rebooted (there were about 15 of them). curious about the htc hub you got though. you think that will work on an LG? the one I side-loaded is v 1.0.

btw, reading the original article carefully, it doesn't matter whether you delete the keys under ManagedEndpoints. The author in fact went so far and deleted both keys Endpoints & ManagedEndpoints and rebooted. they are being recreated by apps with live tiles. But deleting keys under Endpoints alone is sufficient as colossus_r points out.

thanks again for making us aware of this 'bug'

Last edited:

colossus_r

Feb 10, 2007
Huawei P40 Pro
thanks again for the instructions. I coudn't tell whether live tiles were working or not. I deleted the entries in the endpoints anyway and rebooted (there were about 15 of them). curious about the htc hub you got though. you think that will work on an LG? the one I side-loaded is v 1.0.

btw, reading the original article carefully, it doesn't matter whether you delete the keys under ManagedEndpoints. The author in fact went so far and deleted both keys Endpoints & ManagedEndpoints and rebooted. they are being recreated by apps with live tiles. But deleting keys under Endpoints alone is sufficient as colossus_r points out.

thanks again for making us aware of this 'bug'

Hi m8...

This is the version of the HTC hub that i use ....its a patched 1.5 version
I got it from the forum .. sorry i cant remember where
http://hotfile.com/dl/114379117/ebffc0a/HTC_Hub.v1.5_OK.rar.html

Please report back if its working

rastx

Jan 10, 2008
Houston, TX
Possible solution for all except DVP

Would love to use this fix on my Dell Venue Pro except there is no registry editor capable of deleting these registry keys. I have a total of 25 endpoint entries, one managed endpoint entry, and as a result one functional live tile. Uninstalling and reinstalling applications has no effect on the problem or the entries. :(

kronos1

May 30, 2009
Hi m8
You must delete all the entrys in the Endpoints branch....NOT the ManagedEndpoints

Then you must reboot the phone and wait for a while ...

still nothing,has any one done this actually on hd7??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So the short story :

Update
    Seems that if you delete the key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PushClient\Endpoints its faster (than deleting one by one all the entrys)
    and does the same job.

colossus
    wowww...no one has any live tile probs to try this ?????

Any one with some feedback?????
    how can you do this for the samsung focus? I have 29 endpoints and cannot delete them with the registry editor.

Unfortunately, the registry editor can only modify keys on the Samsung Focus, not delete them. The creator of the registry editor said that an update (or a Samsung Focus version) would be coming soon... a month and a half ago. Sadly, I don't think it's been released yet.
    As an update to the original post in the thread, this is what you can do to get/keep your live tiles working. For each key ManagedEndpoints key (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PushClient\ManagedEndpoints) there should be one Endpoints key (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PushClient\Endpoints). Problem is, after soft resets and for other unexplained reasons, push/live tile apps disconnect reconnect, additional Endpoints keys. When your Endpoints grows too large (estimated 22 to 30 keys), apps will stop registering so live tiles will start to fail.

So every once in a while do this.
    1.) Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PushClient\ManagedEndpoints and open each key. Open the sub-key under the key and you will find an entry for Cookie. Record the first string of characters, like: C540F8BB or E3EBB287, etc.
    2.) Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PushClient\Endpoints and match each key to one of the cookie references recorded above. Everything else needs to be deleted as they are extra, leftovers that were not properly deleted.

If you accidentially delete the wrong Endpoint, no worries as it will be recreated the next time you open the push/live tile app. But ideally, you should always have an equal number of ManagedEndpoints and Endpoints, 1 for 1. It looks like Microsoft has finally (quietly) acknowledged this as a problem and a correction (hopefully) will be coming with Mango. See the comment below from a Microsoft employee posted in the Microsoft App Developer Forum a few days ago:

Hi,
    I searched our internal issues database. There was a problem where endpoint information was being persisted in the phone's internal registry even after Tile and Toast are unbound and the service is restarted or the phone is rebooted; which might explain the channel open failures described in this discussion. This appears to be fixed now. Hopefully this problem will resolve itself as phones get updated with newer OS images in the future.
    - Mark

Let's hope so.