[Q] How to update to sense 5?

Search This thread

luis4ever

Apr 16, 2009
Salamanca
Hi guys I think I know how to do it but any help or advise is always appreciated. This is what I know:

1.- I downloaded RUU from: http://dl3.htc.com/application/HTC_One_X_RUU_5.18.502.1.exe
2.- Phone Information: Android 4.1.1, HTC Sense 4+, Software Version 3.18.502.6 710RD, BaseBand 0.24p.32.09.06_10.130.32.34L Hboot version 2.14.
3.- Phone is not rooted, not boot loader unlocked, supercid'ed or nothing.

So as far as I know I just need to install HTC Sync for dab and fast boot drivers and after that connect phone with debug enabled, run RUU utility and wait for finish update?

Thanks in advance

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
If you ever want to unlock your bootloader do not take that update, it has patched the latest root exploit. I'd suggest unlocking your bootloader, installing TWRP recovery, installing Superuser or SuperSU to get root, getting s-off, all before considering running the RUU. If you don't do this before taking the update you may never be able to unlock the phone.

Once you've done all that you can leave the bootloader unlocked and still run the RUU. This way you can experience the update but already have the freedom of an unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my Evita

Reactions: luis4ever

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
So as far as I know I just need to install HTC Sync for dab and fast boot drivers and after that connect phone with debug enabled, run RUU utility and wait for finish update?

Just follow the instruction on the following webpage under "Manual system update instructions":
http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-x-att/news/

HTC Sync is required, but fast boot drivers are not required, and I don't believe USB debugging is required either.

Once you run the RUU executable, it will walk you through step-by-step. Also be aware this will wipe the data partition (but not the "virtual SD" partition). So backup your data accordingly. I'd also backup what is on the virtual SD, just to be safe.

As timmaaa mentioned, the new RUU and OTA updates close the existing exploits, so if you have any desire to mod the phone in the future, its highly recommended to SuperCID, unlock bootloader, S-off before running the RUU.

luis4ever

Apr 16, 2009
Salamanca
Just follow the instruction on the following webpage under "Manual system update instructions":

HTC Sync is required, but fast boot drivers are not required, and I don't believe USB debugging is required either.

Once you run the RUU executable, it will walk you through step-by-step. Also be aware this will wipe the data partition (but not the "virtual SD" partition). So backup your data accordingly. I'd also backup what is on the virtual SD, just to be safe.

As timmaaa mentioned, the new RUU and OTA updates close the existing exploits, so if you have any desire to mod the phone in the future, its highly recommended to SuperCID, unlock bootloader, S-off before running the RUU.

So, what you both recommend is:

Follow timmaaa thread to get supercid and then unlock boot loader via HTC Dev and after that run rumrunner to get S-OFF?

If that's correct I have a question, can I run a RUU with S-OFF and Supercid? Do I have to relock bootloader in fastboot to run?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro

Follow timmaaa thread to get supercid and then unlock boot loader via HTC Dev and after that run rumrunner to get S-OFF?

If that's correct I have a question, can I run a RUU with S-OFF and Supercid? Do I have to relock bootloader in fastboot to run?

Yes that's right. You need to use the 3.18 root method to get SuperCID, then you can unlock your bootloader. Once you unlocked your bootloader you can install TWRP recovery which will allow you to install root. Once you have root you can get s-off.

The only way you can safely run an RUU with SuperCID is if you have s-off, if you run an RUU with SuperCID and s-on you'll brick your phone. You don't need to relock the bootloader.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007

I clearly stated: "if you have any desire to mod the phone in the future, its highly recommended to SuperCID, unlock bootloader, S-off before running the RUU"

So I'm not sure why you are asking what I recommend.

If you want further clarification: If you ever want to root, or install custom ROMs on the phone, then you should SuperCID, unlock the bootloader, S-off before running the RUU.

If you intend to keep the phone stock, and never root or install custom ROMs, then its okay to run the 5.18 RUU.

Yes, you can. And you should be able to do so with the bootloader unlocked.

Also, be aware that running past Jellybean RUUs with SuperCID and S-on will brick the phone. Its not known whether this still holds true for 5.18 RUU, but I'd assume it does, and never run the RUU with SuperCID and S-on. Simply get S-off first.

Last edited:

pandasa123

Jul 20, 2013
South Grafton
There isn't a reason not to get s off either. Super easy with rumrunner and from there use fastboot oem writecid

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you ever want to unlock your bootloader do not take that update, it has patched the latest root exploit. I'd suggest unlocking your bootloader, installing TWRP recovery, installing Superuser or SuperSU to get root, getting s-off, all before considering running the RUU. If you don't do this before taking the update you may never be able to unlock the phone.

Once you've done all that you can leave the bootloader unlocked and still run the RUU. This way you can experience the update but already have the freedom of an unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my Evita

Yes that's right. You need to use the 3.18 root method to get SuperCID, then you can unlock your bootloader. Once you unlocked your bootloader you can install TWRP recovery which will allow you to install root. Once you have root you can get s-off.

The only way you can safely run an RUU with SuperCID is if you have s-off, if you run an RUU with SuperCID and s-on you'll brick your phone. You don't need to relock the bootloader.

I clearly stated: "if you have any desire to mod the phone in the future, its highly recommended to SuperCID, unlock bootloader, S-off before running the RUU"

So I'm not sure why you are asking what I recommend.

If you want further clarification: If you ever want to root, or install custom ROMs on the phone, then you should SuperCID, unlock the bootloader, S-off before running the RUU.

If you intend to keep the phone stock, and never root or install custom ROMs, then its okay to run the 5.18 RUU.

Yes, you can. And you should be able to do so with the bootloader unlocked.

Also, be aware that running past Jellybean RUUs with SuperCID and S-on will brick the phone. Its not known whether this still holds true for 5.18 RUU, but I'd assume it does, and never run the RUU with SuperCID and S-on. Simply get S-off first.