[RECOVERY] Official Release of TWRP recovery now available

Search This thread

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
Will this be updated for kltespr?

TWRP is compiled in a unified fashion, made to work with all s5 variants. I am not the creator but that gives me the impression that they don't want individual builds for each model. I have made a version that reports kltespr as its type, its over in the regular development section for sprint s5. I plan on continuing to make as long as I am using CM, which is pretty far into the foreseeable future. So there may not be an official kltespr release, but the klte release works for it and I have made one labelled as kltespr so it works for CM if you use mine. Also I think somebody else did the same from what I have read, but have yet to come across their link, here is a link to mine http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52260413

Reactions: Herk718 and jch8828

robak1965

Jul 7, 2013
TWRP is compiled in a unified fashion, made to work with all s5 variants. I am not the creator but that gives me the impression that they don't want individual builds for each model. I have made a version that reports kltespr as its type, its over in the regular development section for sprint s5. I plan on continuing to make as long as I am using CM, which is pretty far into the foreseeable future. So there may not be an official kltespr release, but the klte release works for it and I have made one labelled as kltespr so it works for CM if you use mine. Also I think somebody else did the same from what I have read, but have yet to come across their link, here is a link to mine http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52260413

miked63017, you appear to be very knowledgeable about recovery builds, and as you know "unified" builds are rarely grand unified which is all inclusive. S5, S5 Sport, S5 Active, etc. The builds just don't work across all variants, so in my opinion it shouldn't be called unified.

Anyway, what I wanted to pick your brain about was in fact the S5 Sport variant, specifically if it might be the same issue, or if you have experimented with TWRP build for this?

I am trying compile my own build setup but as a beginner I am probably many weeks away from putting anything together. More of just a slow learning process for me.

Sent from my BN Nook HD using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: miked63017

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
miked63017, you appear to be very knowledgeable about recovery builds, and as you know "unified" builds are rarely grand unified which is all inclusive. S5, S5 Sport, S5 Active, etc. The builds just don't work across all variants, so in my opinion it shouldn't be called unified.

Anyway, what I wanted to pick your brain about was in fact the S5 Sport variant, specifically if it might be the same issue, or if you have experimented with TWRP build for this?

I am trying compile my own build setup but as a beginner I am probably many weeks away from putting anything together. More of just a slow learning process for me.

Sent from my BN Nook HD using XDA Premium HD app

Honestly I haven't ever compiled TWRP from source. I compiled the s5 kernel from source, after tweaking the config. I got a few hints on what needed to be tweaked by asking around. After that I basically injected the different kernel into the official build, similar to how you would do it if you were using a kitchen. IMO though kitchens are too confusing and you never really know exactly what they are doing unless you read the source of the kitchen. That's basically how I learned to do everything I can do, dig through the source of various android kitchens. I have compiled kernels and lots of other stuff before I ever picked up an android device so I guess I had a little head start in that regard. The s5 uses a kernel with dtb, which was new to me when I got the s5, so it is slightly more complicated than the older devices I was used to. @sleshepic and @garwyn gave me some really useful pointers when I got my s5, thanks guys. I could go into how to do it here, but if you google, or search the forums, you will find many in detail tutorials. Try searching "how to unpack boot.img android". The process is the same across all devices pretty much, the newer ones require a newer version of the tool. Basically once unpacked you can swap out kernels and modify the initramfs, then repack and flash. I attempted to make one for the sport using the sport kernel, and fstab files from the sport, but apparently it boots to recovery then immediately reboots to system. I don't have a sport so really not inclined to try much more. If you want to try, do a little research and get going :) , send me a pm along the way if you get stuck and I will try to help or point you in the right direction.

I have compiled AOSP and CM from source so I would imagine TWRP and CWM are not much harder. The hardest part, and most time consuming, IMO is setting up the device tree for a new device. I usually leave the device tree to the experts, mainly because of the time commitment. I preach Linux to everybody I know, but it is almost a requirement for doing things like this so if you don't have it get it Ubuntu is usually the easiest to setup a build env and get the needed tools. Recently I was inspired by TN to give my first Linux love, opensuse, another try and I did yield a successful AOSP build for the emulator. So my Ubuntu VM on my opensuse system will most likely not be used much anymore.

Anyway, read sources, get Linux, experiment...good luck and pm me if you get stuck.

Reactions: robak1965

djxn40

May 9, 2015
I didn't see the answer in this thread, but when flashing TWRP via Odin, will the Knox counter trip?
Just flash away. Life is meaningless until the warranty is VOID. Bought this phone 1 month ago or so and 2 hours in my warranty was void.... just sayin

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

dricacho

Oct 9, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm still on TWRP v2.8.1.0., I'm running BlissPop 6.01. I'm not really having any issues but noticed that there are much newer versions of TWRP. Does anyone know if flashing the very latest recovery version would cause any issues on this ROM?

I'm still on TWRP v2.8.1.0., I'm running BlissPop 6.01. I'm not really having any issues but noticed that there are much newer versions of TWRP. Does anyone know if flashing the very latest recovery version would cause any issues on this ROM?

None. I have never seen the recovery image affect the system & data partition negatively. The only time you might have issues is if you are using F2FS for your data partition & the newly updated recovery does not support it.

djxn40

May 9, 2015
It will not. I did it

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts