{Mod }Display, gestures & buttons *updated 2.16.13* for 2.04.605.2 710RD

Search This thread

dwizzo

Aug 23, 2010
The strangest thing happened. I edited the framework-htc-res.apk file by deleting 3 png files to remove the persistent wifi notification, and the 3-button display option became enabled in the settings menu as well. I am thinking I did something else without realizing it?

These are the 3 files I deleted:
stat_notify_wifi_in_range
stat_notify_wifi_signal_off
stat_sys_wifi_signal_4

riot1031

Jan 27, 2008
Finger Lakes
nitsuj17, did you get what you needed yet? This is the only thing I need to get my phone back to how I like after updating! Thanks!!!

nitsuj17

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2010
PA
nitsuj17, did you get what you needed yet? This is the only thing I need to get my phone back to how I like after updating! Thanks!!!

The option seems to be there by default for me on this...unless santod or micromod enabled it (can't remember who's base rom I downloaded atm)

riot1031

Jan 27, 2008
Finger Lakes
interesting! I don't have the option in settings, however, the button functions like I want it to; press for menu, holds for recent apps.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk!

MicroMod777

Recognized Contributor
Code Changes for Developers:

decompile the settings.apk (if deodexed) the changes are in the classes.dex (smali) so if you are trying to do it on the odexed version, you ll need to baksmali the settings.odex file....im not gonna hold your hand and explain that to you

navigate to:

com/android/settings/framework/flag/feature/HtcDisplayFeatureFlags.smali

find this method:

Code:
.method public static supportRecentAppsButton

wholesale change the method to this:

Code:
.method public static supportRecentAppsButton(Landroid/content/Context;)Z
    .locals 1

const/4 v0, 0x1

return v0
.end method

(i did this differently in the 1.15 version, but this is simpler)

This don't work for Sense 5 ota. Any thoughts?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

nitsuj17

Aug 24, 2010
PA
This don't work for Sense 5 ota. Any thoughts?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

i dont understand why its showing up for me on the stock rom and not others unless its related to changes in device firmware and the respective calls in settings for those who took the ota vs just flashing a zip

as for the code changes, ill have to look at it again...i didnt save what i did on my stock + rom for joelz port....but it was (slightly) more involved in than the sense4+ mod

riot1031

Jan 27, 2008
Finger Lakes
i dont understand why its showing up for me on the stock rom and not others unless its related to changes in device firmware and the respective calls in settings for those who took the ota vs just flashing a zip

as for the code changes, ill have to look at it again...i didnt save what i did on my stock + rom for joelz port....but it was (slightly) more involved in than the sense4+ mod

Any luck yet? Thanks!!

riot1031

Jan 27, 2008
Finger Lakes

This is really strange...my wife has the option on her phone. Both myself and a friend do not have the option. Even though I don't have the option, it seems to have carried over from 2.07 as it still works as intended (short press for menu, long press for recents).

That being said, I still want the option back!!!

riot1031

Jan 27, 2008
Finger Lakes
So .torrented gave me a good idea. He said to try copying the Settings.apk file from a phone that had the menu button setting to my phone which doesn't have the setting. I grabbed the Settings.apk file from my wife's phone (she has the menu button setting) and copied it to mine. I still don't have the option! There must be something else that is keeping it from displaying. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

nitsuj17

Aug 24, 2010
PA
So .torrented gave me a good idea. He said to try copying the Settings.apk file from a phone that had the menu button setting to my phone which doesn't have the setting. I grabbed the Settings.apk file from my wife's phone (she has the menu button setting) and copied it to mine. I still don't have the option! There must be something else that is keeping it from displaying. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

that will not work, unless the settings.apk was modified specifically to allow the mod

the default settings.apk reads device flag to see if that feature should be enabled or not....im confused exactly why it would work by default for me on the ota, but i havent dug into it at all since all my time has gone into updating viperDNA and we remove that option anyway from settings because we have button mapping in tweaks

my advice would be to follow my code changes in this thread and poke around to see what else you need to adapt on the sense5 ota

Reactions: .torrented

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
Here is the Sense 5 4.2.2 Modified Settings.apk

Unzip and push to /system/app/ (don't forget to change permissions to rw-r--r--) and reboot (hot reboot if your ROM supports this).

import com.htc.htcjavaflag.HtcBuildFlag; <- Looks like this plays a role in something, but I'm not sure where exactly this is located.

Attachments

• Settings.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: MicroMod777

riot1031

Jan 27, 2008
Finger Lakes

Unzip and push to /system/app/ (don't forget to change permissions to rw-r--r--) and reboot (hot reboot if your ROM supports this).

import com.htc.htcjavaflag.HtcBuildFlag; <- Looks like this plays a role in something, but I'm not sure where exactly this is located.

Tried using your settings.apk, option still isn't there!

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
Tried using your settings.apk, option still isn't there!

Well I did what I was supposed to to get it working, I'm not actually able to fully test because my old settings before the mod enabled me to use the buttons so that's probably why it was there for me, when I get back home in a bit I'll explore a bit more and see what else I can find

I installed micromod777 stock Rom and that's what gave me the feature enabled with the stock settings before any mods were done to it

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

MicroMod777

Recognized Contributor

Tried it out but didn't work. It's a mystery now! :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As promised in my ukb thread, here is an independent zip flash for the mod to activate the ability to change the mapping of the "recents" button

• changes settings.apk
    • turns verizon specific flag to on that otherwise excludes the mod
    • works on stock deodex
    • should work on odex replacing settings.apk and settings.odex with deodexed apk only (reported as working)

****this will not give you a menu on rosie homescreen....that is a different mod, though it requires this mod to work***

Download

***Feel free to include this in your rom/project, just properly credit, thanks!

For 2.04 Verizon 2/15 OTA
    button_mod_2.04.zip: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390288116658474820
    md5: 10ebdf27969415d6a90e8591b33024e0

For 1.15 Verizon Release Software:
    button_mod_1.zip: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390225151984926744
    mirror: http://d-h.st/9N5
    MD5sum: 525215760058b1941d5a3bd5469fccf6

***if you found the mod useful, just click the thanks button :p
    Code Changes for Developers:

decompile the settings.apk (if deodexed) the changes are in the classes.dex (smali) so if you are trying to do it on the odexed version, you ll need to baksmali the settings.odex file....im not gonna hold your hand and explain that to you

navigate to:

com/android/settings/framework/flag/feature/HtcDisplayFeatureFlags.smali

find this method:

Code:
    .method public static supportRecentAppsButton

wholesale change the method to this:

Code:
    .method public static supportRecentAppsButton(Landroid/content/Context;)Z
        .locals 1

const/4 v0, 0x1

return v0
    .end method

(i did this differently in the 1.15 version, but this is simpler)

Screenshots

attachment.php
    attachment.php

attachment.php
    Running stock rooted odex ... works fine! Thanks :D :good:
    @.torrented did you ever get this working? I just updated to 4.4.2 and lost the menu/recents capability. I NEED to get it back! Thanks!

its different for sense5 and sense6.....instead of just being able to change supportrecent (or whatever the exact method is) to basically a yes, you have to enable isdeviceforrecentkey (again just paraphrasing the method cuz i dont have anything in front of me atm)

for some people, for some reason on the exact same software, the phone is detecting it is a the correct device id and enabling the option (actually could be dependent on what your CID is, for those of us who unlocked or got soff by different methods at different times)

if i ever flash the stock update, ill post the correct changes
    damnit, now i HAVE to root! so lazy though..lol.. why couldn't HTC have put this in stock?!!?? ugh.

There's actually an exclusion made for verizon phones coded in, which is why it doesn't shoe up stock
    HTC/vzw went out of their way to remove it for us lol

I just activated it after digging around to understand why it was happening and found why