Will EVO 3D have improved battery life over EVO 4G ?

Search This thread

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
Only real complaint I have of my EVO 4G is the poor battery life. Even though I am rooted with a great ROM and custom kernel for better battery, my battery life still doesn't come close to my Brothers iPhone4. My phone dies by end of the day.

I see the specs of the EVO 3D, having a larger stock battery, and dual cores should be more efficient on the OS, and this phone was built around Gingerbread that is better performance than Froyo.

So adding all that up, I hope to God this new phone has much better battery life ?

Sent from my EVO 4G "Myn's RS 5"

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
Thanks laf.

I am sure HTC is well aware of the bad press the EVO 4G got on release in regards to poor battery life. So maybe they worked extra hard to make sure the new EVO is improved.

Do you have the original specs for the EVO 4G. Be curious what HTC wrote down for talk time last year.

Sent from my EVO 4G "Myn's RS 5"

Last edited:

DeathBySnuggles

Jun 12, 2006
EVO 4G

Battery Specifications
Talk Time Up to 312 mins
Web Browsing over 3G Not Available
Standby Time Up to 146 hrs
Type of Battery Lithium Ion battery

jessejames111981

Jan 29, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I think it will probably the same. It has a bigger battery but also a dual core processor.

dual core = more power efficient

not dual power

anyway this thread really isn't useful right now. Since noone really has the phone we are stuck with speculation and specs that can be altered heavily. In theory bigger battery plus dual core sounds like a longer battery life, we really won't know how it compares until release

Reactions: supdawg

toxicfumes22

Jun 30, 2009
Orlando
I wonder how much the graphics will drink that juice. I don't know much about the 3D technology but I assume the graphics will be more demanding and graphics sucks so much power.

rrsweet

Aug 9, 2010
I wonder how much the graphics will drink that juice. I don't know much about the 3D technology but I assume the graphics will be more demanding and graphics sucks so much power.
This was my thought, I mean 3D has to be graphics intense since it's essentially 2 pictures running side by side.

toxicfumes22

Jun 30, 2009
Orlando
Also higher resolution. Dint really know if that plays a role though.

My understanding of the power usage of 4" of LCDs is like 3-5Watts so I assume that is not that demanding. The LCDs don't burn the battery but the back light will. Again this is my understanding but not based from my knowledge on phones, but that of projectors.
I wish I knew more about phone but I hated C+ programing. I only used it for a Mechatronics class, though it was fun to control the robot and use the technology thats found in $70k cars, It took me 2-3 hour to write the code for a clock cause I can't think like that. cant hit 00:00 or 24:00 and didn't know any built in codes. The code was only about 7-8lines as well so it was extremely small (and easy afterwards).

sprinttouch666

Jan 23, 2008
My understanding of the power usage of 4" of LCDs is like 3-5Watts so I assume that is not that demanding. The LCDs don't burn the battery but the back light will. Again this is my understanding but not based from my knowledge on phones, but that of projectors.
I wish I knew more about phone but I hated C+ programing. I only used it for a Mechatronics class, though it was fun to control the robot and use the technology thats found in $70k cars, It took me 2-3 hour to write the code for a clock cause I can't think like that. cant hit 00:00 or 24:00 and didn't know any built in codes. The code was only about 7-8lines as well so it was extremely small (and easy afterwards).

wtf are you talking about? C++? using a robot to program a clock? what does this have to to with the wattage of smartphone screens? :confused:

but anyway, The larger battery and dual core processor of the Evo 3D should definitely create a noticeable improvement in battery life. However i feel like 3D is going to seriously drain battery life though. Obviously its not a direct comparison to the Evo 3D but the 3DS is much thicker than the DSi (i assume that means more or at least the same amount of battery) and sports a 4hr battery life lol.

mayfield103

Mar 1, 2011
Loganville, Ga
If your that concerned with battery life just buy extra batteries and charger on Amazon I have three. If you can afford an evo you can afford a ten dollar battery and a five dollar charger. Then it wont matter how bad the battery life is.

don't forget to bring a towel!

ldominguez1986

Apr 14, 2010
Philadelphia
If your that concerned with battery life just buy extra batteries and charger on Amazon I have three. If you can afford an evo you can afford a ten dollar battery and a five dollar charger. Then it wont matter how bad the battery life is.

Why would you buy a phone if you feel like you have to buy extra batteries to carry around. Plus it has nothing to do with money its just the point that a phone should get you through the day

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App

mayfield103

Mar 1, 2011
Loganville, Ga
Phones have always had this problem. And I would rather carry a couple batteries around than constantly be charging my phone or not using it cuz I'm scared its gonna die on me extra batteries = no worries

Whosdaman

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
that righ there is going to be the key. it's just like having wifi, BT and GPS turned on all the time n any other phone. your 3D usage here will be the key I'm guessing to your battery life.

precisely. Its like running a full screen game on your current smart phone. It kills your battery quickly

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
Why would you buy a phone if you feel like you have to buy extra batteries to carry around. Plus it has nothing to do with money its just the point that a phone should get you through the day

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App

I keep a spare battery in my wallet and battery life is a non issue to me. I usually have half of one left after a twelve hour day at work with pandora playing over bluetooth and the screen being on for 4 to 6 hours. Usually I'm looking at the news or using the internet most of the time it's on.

If swapping out the battery is too much work you can always get an extended one but if you're just completely against the idea period then you're best bet is an iphone with its permanent battery.

mayfield103

Mar 1, 2011
Loganville, Ga
I have enough to worry about in my life to have to micro mangage my phone killing apps and turning on and off GPS and wifi with an extra battery I can just enjoy my phone.

Top Liked Posts