[Q] USB Debugging Widget

Search This thread

cbb77

I have an AT&T Tab and thus need to periodically enable USB debugging to use the Side Load Wondermachine app. Stinks navigating thru the menus to enable / disable. I've searched the market but can't seem to find a widget that would handle toggling this as needed. Anyone know of one out there?

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
Not sure why you wouldn't just leave debugging enabled (you can always mount usb via the notification bar), but you can create a shortcut to the Development settings page using LauncherPro (the activity is under Settings->Development).

Reactions: cbb77

cbb77

Thank you! I actually did not know you can have it selected all the time. I just tried it and it worked! I was use to have it unselected such that it would prompt me for either mass storage, Kies, or media. Since I only use it for Mass storage it works fine. Thanks again!

JaysFreaky

Sep 5, 2009
Why not just allow from market? Sure the options not there, but if you edit the settings.db from /dbdata/databases/provider-settings you can enable install_from_non_market.

It's what I did.

cbb77

Why not just allow from market? Sure the options not there, but if you edit the settings.db from /dbdata/databases/provider-settings you can enable install_from_non_market.

It's what I did.

Hmm? Where exactly do you find this file? I searched via Astro File Explorer on the whole Tab and did not find this file. Would love to enable this option. Please provide additional details? Is yours also an AT&T tab? Can you provide a copy of the file?

JaysFreaky

Sep 5, 2009
Hmm? Where exactly do you find this file? I searched via Astro File Explorer on the whole Tab and did not find this file. Would love to enable this option. Please provide additional details? Is yours also an AT&T tab? Can you provide a copy of the file?
Sorry, that wasn't the exact name - I was just guesstimating. I have the AT&T Tab.

The actual path is /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings/setti
ngs.db

I'm attaching the modified file. Just replace the file that's already specified in the path above with the one I'm attaching in the zip.

Attachments

• settings.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: cbb77

cbb77

Sorry, that wasn't the exact name - I was just guesstimating. I have the AT&T Tab.

ngs.db

I'm attaching the modified file. Just replace the file that's already specified in the path above with the one I'm attaching in the zip.

Ok, bear with me as I am a noob, but I am still not seeing it. See my attached screenshot. I am not seeing anything in the dbdata folder. I searched for com.android.provider.settings and the only item that comes back happens to be in my Titanium backup directory. Not sure why there and not in a folder itself. Searching for settings.db results with nothing.

Attachments

• SC20110110-193505.jpg
    SC20110110-193505.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 52

cbb77

Ok, never mind I figured it out. Looks like I needed a Root Explorer app. I thought Astro or ES File Explorer would show me everything but I was wrong. Downloaded a root explorer app and now I can see the file. Will backup and replace mine and see how it goes.

Thanks

Update: Excellent this works! I actually didn't use your file as I was concerned there may be other setting that were different. I was comparing the changes and noticed that my settings file already had the change you mentioned. I remember doing this via SuperOneClick root tool; however never bothered to try it. Duh! Well it works. This now in combination with dropbox is excellent. I can simply copy the file to my dropbox folder, select and install it on the tab. Works Awesome! Thanks for mentioning this to me; probably would have never thought to try it on my own. Thanks again.

Last edited:

JaysFreaky

Sep 5, 2009
Ok, never mind I figured it out. Looks like I needed a Root Explorer app. I thought Astro or ES File Explorer would show me everything but I was wrong. Downloaded a root explorer app and now I can see the file. Will backup and replace mine and see how it goes.

Thanks

Update: Excellent this works! I actually didn't use your file as I was concerned there may be other setting that were different. I was comparing the changes and noticed that my settings file already had the change you mentioned. I remember doing this via SuperOneClick root tool; however never bothered to try it. Duh! Well it works. This now in combination with dropbox is excellent. I can simply copy the file to my dropbox folder, select and install it on the tab. Works Awesome! Thanks for mentioning this to me; probably would have never thought to try it on my own. Thanks again.
No problem! :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not sure why you wouldn't just leave debugging enabled (you can always mount usb via the notification bar), but you can create a shortcut to the Development settings page using LauncherPro (the activity is under Settings->Development).

ngs.db