ROOT, Recovery and Update < LOOK here FIRST

Search This thread

tats_06

Dec 7, 2009
This is going to be simply a collection of links with important points...Please read ALL directions and comments carefully...as no one is responsible for any damage to your phone.

NOTE 1: IF YOU ARE UNROOTED AND ALREADY UPDATED WITH OTA, YOU CAN STILL USE THE PROCESSES BELOW TO ROOT AND FLASH RECOVERY.

>> Rooting Samsung Fascinate

>> Flashing Clockwork Recovery

NOTE 2: IF YOU ARE ROOTED AND WANT TO KEEP ROOT, DO NOT INSTALL VERIZON OTA UPDATE. WAIT FOR DEVELOPERS TO POST A ROOTED UPDATE.

If something went wrong and you did not have recovery installed, use Odin to restore system to stock >> Odin Restore files to get you to stock

If something went wrong, but you are still able to get into clockwork recovery >> Stock Nandroid Image

NOTE 3: IF YOU ARE ROOTED, HAVE LAGFIX AND APPS REMOVED, DO NOT INSTALL VERIZON OTA UPDATE. YOU WILL RUN INTO ISSUES. YOU NEED TO COMPLETELY GO BACK TO STOCK, THEN UPDATE. YOU WILL LOSE ROOT.

If you want to stop the OTA update notification, use this file which provides simple edits...but be careful as it may make further updates more difficult >> SCH-I500.DI01 Update

UPDATED:
OTA Update with Root and Busybox >> DH12 to DI01 update with root and busybox

Please post corrections and I will update the OP...I see too many people messing up their devices. Just want to help.

Last edited:
Reactions: clickwir

jatilq

Oct 19, 2007
My path.

1) Stock with root mentioned in this dev section

2)restored CW backup

3)used CW to install the update mentioned in this thread.

No problems so far.

After reading this thread again I went to stock and stock kernel. Rooted and gold again.

I think that CPU Scale app causes the Fascinate to shut down, so if you use it and getting them.... remove the app or let me know if you fixed.

Last edited:

tats_06

Dec 7, 2009
Thanks!!!

Now, here is something I didn't try yet. I am still stock (not rooted), ran the OTA...and with all people having issues, I am scared to root. I want to try but I think I will wait and see if anyone else does this. :)

taypotts

Mar 28, 2009
twitter.com
This is going to be simply a collection of links with important points...

NOTE 1: IF YOU ARE ROOTED AND WANT TO KEEP ROOT, DO NOT INSTALL VERIZON OTA UPDATE. WAIT FOR DEVELOPERS TO POST A ROOTED UPDATE.

If something went wrong and you did not have recovery installed, use Odin to restore system to stock >> Odin Restore files to get you to stock

If something went wrong, but you are still able to get into clockwork recovery >> Stock Nandroid Image

NOTE 2: IF YOU ARE ROOTED, HAVE LAGFIX AND APPS REMOVED, DO NOT INSTALL VERIZON OTA UPDATE. YOU WILL RUN INTO ISSUES. YOU NEED TO COMPLETELY GO BACK TO STOCK, THEN UPDATE. YOU WILL LOSE ROOT.

If you don't care about root and want to install the OTA update manually >> SCH-I500.DI01 Update

Please post corrections and I will update the OP...I see too many people messing up their devices. Just want to help.

I thought the post about doing the OTA manually would allow you to keep root, seeing that it's a stripped down version.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.sunny16.org
Guys, pay attention to that update file. It is only updating modem.bin, and then updating your version number so you don't get nagged for an update. There are many more patches/updates in this fix than just modem.bin, and by doing only modem.bin you make it a bit more difficult on yourself to update down the road.

If that's all you want, go ahead and use it, but in no way did JT intend for this to get distributed as "this is what you should use if you have root" update.

Read before using, that's all I ask.

tats_06

Dec 7, 2009
Guys, pay attention to that update file. It is only updating modem.bin, and then updating your version number so you don't get nagged for an update. There are many more patches/updates in this fix than just modem.bin, and by doing only modem.bin you make it a bit more difficult on yourself to update down the road.

If that's all you want, go ahead and use it, but in no way did JT intend for this to get distributed as "this is what you should use if you have root" update.

Read before using, that's all I ask.

Thanks for heads up...first post updated. :)

azalvarez03

Nov 7, 2009
Just thought I would menetion that phone is auto updating the software once it is downloaded to phone at night I woke up this morning and just reposed at work when I went to use wireless tether it wouldn't work looked at my phone and realized it had been auto updated time to go back to stock and reroot

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

tats_06

Dec 7, 2009
Just thought I would menetion that phone is auto updating the software once it is downloaded to phone at night I woke up this morning and just reposed at work when I went to use wireless tether it wouldn't work looked at my phone and realized it had been auto updated time to go back to stock and reroot

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Do you have to go back to stock first before rooting? Or can you just run the root OVER the update? Thanks. :)

tats_06

Dec 7, 2009
Ok...looks like root went thru...working on cwm recovery now. :p

Last edited:

tats_06

Dec 7, 2009
OK, recovery installed successfully...running a backup right now. :)

Should I test restoring? Or should I assume I am safe? :D

lukaro

Jun 28, 2010
north florida
Rooting after OTA update.

Can someone give a diffinative answer please. Can we root after the OTA update or does the update block root?

chronster

Nov 9, 2008
Nothing in the update seems worth it to return to stock (I've removed so many stock apps already.)

crazyfool287

Feb 23, 2010
I'm having the Force Close loop issue. My CWR seems to be missing, as all I can access is Android system recovery <2e> with the options of:

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

Using the Odin method didn't work for me, on multiple tries. My SD card appears to be wiped clean and I can't enter debug mode.

Is there anything short of a miracle that I can do to fix my phone? I've seen a few posts with people saying they had similar problems as mine, but there was never and explanation of how or if they fixed there phone.

Thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is going to be simply a collection of links with important points...Please read ALL directions and comments carefully...as no one is responsible for any damage to your phone.

NOTE 1: IF YOU ARE UNROOTED AND ALREADY UPDATED WITH OTA, YOU CAN STILL USE THE PROCESSES BELOW TO ROOT AND FLASH RECOVERY.

NOTE 2: IF YOU ARE ROOTED AND WANT TO KEEP ROOT, DO NOT INSTALL VERIZON OTA UPDATE. WAIT FOR DEVELOPERS TO POST A ROOTED UPDATE.

NOTE 3: IF YOU ARE ROOTED, HAVE LAGFIX AND APPS REMOVED, DO NOT INSTALL VERIZON OTA UPDATE. YOU WILL RUN INTO ISSUES. YOU NEED TO COMPLETELY GO BACK TO STOCK, THEN UPDATE. YOU WILL LOSE ROOT.

If you want to stop the OTA update notification, use this file which provides simple edits...but be careful as it may make further updates more difficult >> SCH-I500.DI01 Update

UPDATED:
    OTA Update with Root and Busybox >> DH12 to DI01 update with root and busybox

This is going to be simply a collection of links with important points...

NOTE 1: IF YOU ARE ROOTED AND WANT TO KEEP ROOT, DO NOT INSTALL VERIZON OTA UPDATE. WAIT FOR DEVELOPERS TO POST A ROOTED UPDATE.

NOTE 2: IF YOU ARE ROOTED, HAVE LAGFIX AND APPS REMOVED, DO NOT INSTALL VERIZON OTA UPDATE. YOU WILL RUN INTO ISSUES. YOU NEED TO COMPLETELY GO BACK TO STOCK, THEN UPDATE. YOU WILL LOSE ROOT.

If you don't care about root and want to install the OTA update manually >> SCH-I500.DI01 Update

I thought the post about doing the OTA manually would allow you to keep root, seeing that it's a stripped down version.
    Bump.... Back to top till this gets stickied!