Review of UNU 5600 mAh Unity Series battery case for S5 w/lots of pics!!!

Search This thread

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
This is a review of UNU Unity Battery case for Galaxy S5. http://www.myunu.com/unity-s5.html , also available on amazon www.amazon.com/UNU-Unity-Samsung-Galaxy-Battery/dp/B00J2H6PX8/

The idea of battery case is not a new concept. A few years back, it used to be popular in a form of external battery attachment molded into a bulky case with hardly any protection. Then, this idea was improved by using custom shaped batteries (double or triple capacity) sticking out of the original smartphone battery pocket, and using a custom plastic or TPU shell as a battery cover for a basic protection. Unfortunately, both of these approaches affected the thickness of the phone (by more than doubling it), phone protection was reduced, and often NFC support built into OEM battery was not available. UNU decided to improve this concept with a very clever solution. Here is what I found.

Arrived in a very simple package, the front is an open display under the cover revealing a slick look of what appears to be a typical smartphone case. You wouldn't even think for a second it was a battery case until you flip it over to see a description of UNU Unity Series with a detailed list of features, pictures of assembly, and benefits of additional hours by doubling the battery capacity. Yes, that's exactly what this battery case does - it doubles the capacity of stock 2800 mAh battery and provides a pretty decent protection by surrounding your Galaxy S5 in ultra-slim soft touch case.

Let me first start with a battery itself. As a standalone piece, there is a custom chassis with UNU's own 2800 mAh battery which goes into battery compartment of S5 instead of your OEM battery. It has an identical footprint and thickness comparable to OEM S5 battery with an addition of chassis on the top where you place your original S5 battery. This way both of the batteries are connected together, charging from the same S5 pins, and appear to Galaxy S5 as a single 5600 mAh battery tracked in your notification bar where you usually see battery percentage. This integration is completely transparent to your phone just like with any other extended battery.

The case is made up of two parts, the battery cover and the bumper. This is where UNU's design stands out from the crowd. Instead of a bulky TPU case with loose fitment or minimum drop protection, you actually get a quality back cover made out of durable PC hard shell material with a soft touch finish and an interlocking bumper that snaps securely to protect edges of the phone and provide a decent front lip which enables you to place the phone face down without touching the display. I have a tempered glass on my S5 and it worked well with this case, and I still had clearance to place the phone face down. Regarding the case itself, every port opening had a precise cutout and perfect alignment. Micro-usb port had enough clearance to flip the cover open, there was plenty of room to access heart rate sensor, and power/volume buttons had a nice tactile response.

Having a rounded shape of the back cover made this case feel very slim in your hand, yet still providing a secure grip. Overall, the case and the battery is approximately 78g, and if you take into consideration removal of original S5 battery cover which is no longer used in a new assembly, the total weight increase should be under 70g. Also, due to original battery being placed on top, you still get access to its built in NFC antenna. Regarding the performance, though UNU provides a reference of how many additional hours you will get - I honestly don't want to get into these details because we all use our phones differently. If I'm going to say, "oh, I got 10 more hours of game play" it will be relative to my specific phone use with everything else I'm running on my phone and all other background processes. It's hard to do apple-to-apple comparison between two phones even of the same model when it comes to battery life unless you have a carbon copy image of every app and setup. The bottom line, you are doubling your battery capacity so as a minimum you should see 75%-80% increase in additional use hours (nothing is ideal due to efficiency).

Overall, I was very impressed with a design concept of this battery case, with its innovative approach to double the battery capacity, and with attention UNU paid to the case design with an ultra slim form factor which feels like a regular case rather than a bulky battery add-on. I know it's a bit pricier than other extended batteries, but considering that it's not just a double battery but also a quality case, I think price increase is justified. So if you are looking to double battery life of your S5 and don't want to double the weight or bulky appearance of your phone, I highly recommend to check out UNU Unity case for Galaxy S5.

Here are the pictures.

unu_unity_s5-01_zps6e273e5a.jpg

unu_unity_s5-02_zps3ea30291.jpg

unu_unity_s5-03_zpsc67993ea.jpg

unu_unity_s5-04_zps8d250576.jpg

unu_unity_s5-05_zps811810b5.jpg

unu_unity_s5-06_zps95e606fb.jpg

unu_unity_s5-07_zpsd5effe01.jpg

unu_unity_s5-08_zps0fa98783.jpg

unu_unity_s5-09_zps5549d727.jpg

unu_unity_s5-10_zpsc6441341.jpg

unu_unity_s5-11_zps978bc641.jpg

unu_unity_s5-12_zps5463cdab.jpg

unu_unity_s5-13_zps096b4a20.jpg

unu_unity_s5-14_zps1e49b14f.jpg

unu_unity_s5-15_zps0a351e7e.jpg

unu_unity_s5-16_zps72d05136.jpg

unu_unity_s5-17_zpsb87e3d10.jpg

unu_unity_s5-18_zps9a6c1827.jpg

unu_unity_s5-19_zps5f62df28.jpg

unu_unity_s5-20_zpsde14329d.jpg

unu_unity_s5-21_zpsea82ea36.jpg

unu_unity_s5-22_zpsdd7d2c3f.jpg

unu_unity_s5-23_zps997664c5.jpg

unu_unity_s5-24_zps21872936.jpg

unu_unity_s5-25_zpsf118b354.jpg

unu_unity_s5-26_zps0c8f8b32.jpg

ggcs

Feb 7, 2011
Never seen this battery design in the past. Nice kitchen, counter and fridge..:good::good::good:

kalans

May 28, 2014
I love this! Definitely a great and better addition to our extended lineup! Thanks for the full detailed review. I subscribed and hope to see you post more about the performance as the days go on :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

darkfangex5

Aug 29, 2010
It doesnt look like the battery sits flush against the surface of the back. Is there a gap between the back and the extended battery? (Where the original battery goes just under that between the black plastic and the s5 body.)

skinnytoo2

Oct 22, 2007
I just got mine today. I like the fit and feel of the case. Seems like quality to me. I can't comment on the battery as I just put it on. When I initially purchased it I thought it was like a mophie, but now after I see what it is, it may actually be better than a mophie. I am not quite sure about the technology but it certainly may perform much better. No need to charge it separately and turn it on and off. :cool:

Reactions: kalans

kalans

May 28, 2014
Hmm, since this looses waterproof/resistance one could put a wireless charger on it :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

spirodave

Mar 3, 2014
Saint Louis missouri
Pretty sweet . I thought it would be much bulkier.. Its good to know it exists.. Thanks for the review . If in the future i need to go without a charger for more than 40 hours at a time i might consider it .. as of right now i am a moderate to somewhat heavy user and get 35-45 hours without needing a charge. I had good battery life right out of the box but now that im using Faux123 kernel my battery life is excellent . I thought i used my phone heavily . I guess you must travel a lot to need something like this . Anyway ill shut up ... Thanks again for the review and for the pictures Very Helpful

darkfangex5

Aug 29, 2010
s5 unu :)

I just got my unu unity case today and its abit bulky but still usable with one hand. The weight added is noticable but not overbearing. The soft touch case is a little slippery but at least its not a fingerprint magnet. And when I received my device it had 55% charge on it and 100% on my stock battery. As a note a few people are having issues with it so when you receive it turn it on to see if it works with just the unu battery, then add your battery and test nfc to confirm a commection to the original battery. As I stated earlier I received mine at 55%, tested, turned off, installed unu with oem battery then turned it on to find it at 55% and nfc working. At this point I plugged it into the charger and in about 2 minutes charged to 78%. I believe that both batteries contribute equally and one does not charge the other meaning no attrition. After the two minutes it took about 25~30 minutes to finish charging. Im on my first charge, and I average 3~4.5 hours of screen on time with oem only. Now im currently at 3 hours with 63% and 10 hours of standby time with powersaving mode off. I have screen brightness set to auto all the time and played a little monopoly, played about 25 minutes of spotify on sprint 3g and spent the rest of the time on google chrome. (Side note im using metal rom on sprint that has a stock kernel)

So for a recap when you get your unu turn it on with just the unu battery to see the % and to confirm it works, turn off, add your battery turn on and test nfc. Then average your battery and unu % plug into a charger and see it jump(charge fast) near or to that average then slow down and charge normally. Then install the bumper ! BOTTOM FIRST ! People have snapped the bumper installing it the wrong way. Below are some pros and cons:
Pros
-Double battery life literally
-Decently sturdy construction
-nfc
-no extra case to charge
-Smooth case doesnt attract fingerprints
Cons
-somewhat bulky for those who like tpu cases (came from diztronic)
-heartrate sensor is harder to get to
-speaker sounds kinda off because its a hollow shell

And not really a con but I wish unu filled the empty space with some shock absorbant material.
If you choose to buy this case go through unus website get about 20$ off with UNUINSIDER and free shipping but right now due to high demand they wont ship till end of august but its definitely worth it (50$) through their website.

iCGkZSZ.jpg

5tbqgRB.jpg

I'm getting my s5 tomorrow. Is this the only mophie like case for the s5?

Much better than a mophie because it doubles battery life without attrition and you have full acess to the usb port. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: jscurry10 and ggcs

ggcs

Feb 7, 2011
I just got my unu unity case today and its abit bulky but still usable with one hand. The weight added is noticable but not overbearing. The soft touch case is a little slippery but at least its not a fingerprint magnet. And when I received my device it had 55% charge on it and 100% on my stock battery. As a note a few people are having issues with it so when you receive it turn it on to see if it works with just the unu battery, then add your battery and test nfc to confirm a commection to the original battery. As I stated earlier I received mine at 55%, tested, turned off, installed unu with oem battery then turned it on to find it at 55% and nfc working. At this point I plugged it into the charger and in about 2 minutes charged to 78%. I believe that both batteries contribute equally and one does not charge the other meaning no attrition. After the two minutes it took about 25~30 minutes to finish charging. Im on my first charge, and I average 3~4.5 hours of screen on time with oem only. Now im currently at 3 hours with 63% and 10 hours of standby time with powersaving mode off. I have screen brightness set to auto all the time and played a little monopoly, played about 25 minutes of spotify on sprint 3g and spent the rest of the time on google chrome. (Side note im using metal rom on sprint that has a stock kernel)

So for a recap when you get your unu turn it on with just the unu battery to see the % and to confirm it works, turn off, add your battery turn on and test nfc. Then average your battery and unu % plug into a charger and see it jump(charge fast) near or to that average then slow down and charge normally. Then install the bumper ! BOTTOM FIRST ! People have snapped the bumper installing it the wrong way. Below are some pros and cons:
Pros
-nfc
-no extra case to charge
Cons

And not really a con but I wish unu filled the empty space with some shock absorbant material.
If you choose to buy this case go through unus website get about 20$ off with UNUINSIDER and free shipping but right now due to high demand they wont ship till end of august but its definitely worth it (50$) through their website.

iCGkZSZ.jpg

5tbqgRB.jpg

Much better than a mophie because it doubles battery life without attrition and you have full acess to the usb port. :D

Dang it... I should have gone through myunu.com and saved that 20 bucks... Hope everyone else can see this deal!

jscurry10

Aug 26, 2014
Thank you to darkfangex5 for that promo code! I ended up ordering one and it came a lot quicker than I expected, especially with the website saying that the all black cover was out of stock and wouldn't ship until August 30th. I ordered mine August 20th and it was delivered August 25th.

I listened to darkfangex5 advice about trying with just the unu battery first and then both together. The Unu battery had 56%. I can't recall exactly what my stock battery had but it was somewhere around 60%. I turned the device off and put both batteries in and made sure the NFC was still working. I wasn't on my phone much the rest of the day and gave it a full charge through the night and have used it for about 5 hours so far today. I have been using my phone heavily (as I normally do) these past five hours with about one hour of streaming netflix to chromecast and about 2.5 hours of audio podcast listening (downloaded, not streaming). In addition to that I also had the screen on for about 2.5 hours as well. At this rate I should be able to get about 20 hours of a full charge which falls right in line as I used to get about 10 hours with heavy usage before needing a charge.

As far as a review of the look and feel of the case goes, I like the look a lot. It is a clean design. It does have a smooth finish and is a tad slippery but nothing I am worried about yet. I did accidentally crack the bottom of the ring piece trying to install the cover (was too eager and didn't read the instructions fully). It does not seem like the crack will have any issues though. I am not a fan of the power button design. It is set up like a hinge connected at the top of the button so you need to press the lower portion of the button for it work. Not a huge deal but sometimes I find myself having to press it twice since I wasn't low enough on the button. One thing I didn't think about was how it would fit in the Samsung car mount I bought for my S4. It still fits in the mount but it is not as secure as I would hope. Lastly the cover does add a few mm of height above the headphone jack. I use an aux cord in my vehicle since I don't have bluetooth and the headphone jack does not fit snuggly into the phone but I still get full audio. I'm sure a different/slimmer aux cord will solve this issue.

Thanks to those who bought and reviewed this product. I am very happy with my purchase so far.

A quick overview of my review:
Pros
-Double battery life
-Still have NFC capability
-Looks of the case

Cons
-Slightly bigger than expected (mainly my fault for not checking size of my car mount and aux cord)
-Case could be slightly more rugged
-Not a fan of the power button design

Last edited:

the_agima

Jan 10, 2013

So after of couple of days/weeks of use, how's your UNU Unity battery so far? Are you still pleased with it? I just might order one in a couple of days for myself!

jeremycase00

Feb 24, 2011
So after of couple of days/weeks of use, how's your UNU Unity battery so far? Are you still pleased with it? I just might order one in a couple of days for myself!

I have had one for about a week now. Its a good case and battery combo. Too much battery for me though. I'm not a power user by any means. I'm probably gonna sell mine if you are interested let me know.

Reactions: the_agima

dbrown2

Jan 15, 2008
WEST COLUMBIA
Slick Back

Hello,

Looks like they fixed the slick back like the one I tested. The finish of the back is very slick and can slide out of your hand easily. This looks like they changed the finish of the back to something more like a TPU case that is not as slick in your hand.

Good on them... That is my only real issue with the product...

Reactions: kalans

jdock

Dec 27, 2011

I've had mine for a few weeks. My initial impressions still stand with one exception.

The glossy white/light blue combo still looks like a teenage girl's case. I thought it would get scratched up pretty badly (I am a "face up" rather than "face down" person on the rare occasions my phone is on a surface instead of in my pocket) but it has not at all, still looks brand new.

I still wouldn't call this a particularly slim case but it definitely seems smaller than the alternatives.

Getting into the USB port door is absolutely no problem, they got that part of the design completely right. The headphone jack opening is too small for what used to be the standard size plug (seems that new ones are a lot slimmer now).

There is some dust getting in, which I still don't like. And the hard plastic is creaky and hard and really wouldn't provide cushioning against drops.

So, as a case... meh.

I'm loving the extra battery life though. I've been playing a game recently that with the extra battery takes me under 50% remaining at the end of some days. Without playing that game I would normally only have to charge every other night. I can tether for a couple hours without needing to plug in to power while doing it. Really convenient.

It is kind of annoying when the low battery stuff starts to squawk at a point which is really earlier than it needs to. Small price to pay :)

Will I keep it? Not sure. I'm leaning towards no, sacrificing the extra power since normally I could last a day ok. But I may give the GS5 to my wife in a few months and maybe the case would be more appropriate for her.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a review of UNU Unity Battery case for Galaxy S5. http://www.myunu.com/unity-s5.html , also available on amazon www.amazon.com/UNU-Unity-Samsung-Galaxy-Battery/dp/B00J2H6PX8/

The idea of battery case is not a new concept. A few years back, it used to be popular in a form of external battery attachment molded into a bulky case with hardly any protection. Then, this idea was improved by using custom shaped batteries (double or triple capacity) sticking out of the original smartphone battery pocket, and using a custom plastic or TPU shell as a battery cover for a basic protection. Unfortunately, both of these approaches affected the thickness of the phone (by more than doubling it), phone protection was reduced, and often NFC support built into OEM battery was not available. UNU decided to improve this concept with a very clever solution. Here is what I found.

Arrived in a very simple package, the front is an open display under the cover revealing a slick look of what appears to be a typical smartphone case. You wouldn't even think for a second it was a battery case until you flip it over to see a description of UNU Unity Series with a detailed list of features, pictures of assembly, and benefits of additional hours by doubling the battery capacity. Yes, that's exactly what this battery case does - it doubles the capacity of stock 2800 mAh battery and provides a pretty decent protection by surrounding your Galaxy S5 in ultra-slim soft touch case.

Let me first start with a battery itself. As a standalone piece, there is a custom chassis with UNU's own 2800 mAh battery which goes into battery compartment of S5 instead of your OEM battery. It has an identical footprint and thickness comparable to OEM S5 battery with an addition of chassis on the top where you place your original S5 battery. This way both of the batteries are connected together, charging from the same S5 pins, and appear to Galaxy S5 as a single 5600 mAh battery tracked in your notification bar where you usually see battery percentage. This integration is completely transparent to your phone just like with any other extended battery.

The case is made up of two parts, the battery cover and the bumper. This is where UNU's design stands out from the crowd. Instead of a bulky TPU case with loose fitment or minimum drop protection, you actually get a quality back cover made out of durable PC hard shell material with a soft touch finish and an interlocking bumper that snaps securely to protect edges of the phone and provide a decent front lip which enables you to place the phone face down without touching the display. I have a tempered glass on my S5 and it worked well with this case, and I still had clearance to place the phone face down. Regarding the case itself, every port opening had a precise cutout and perfect alignment. Micro-usb port had enough clearance to flip the cover open, there was plenty of room to access heart rate sensor, and power/volume buttons had a nice tactile response.

Having a rounded shape of the back cover made this case feel very slim in your hand, yet still providing a secure grip. Overall, the case and the battery is approximately 78g, and if you take into consideration removal of original S5 battery cover which is no longer used in a new assembly, the total weight increase should be under 70g. Also, due to original battery being placed on top, you still get access to its built in NFC antenna. Regarding the performance, though UNU provides a reference of how many additional hours you will get - I honestly don't want to get into these details because we all use our phones differently. If I'm going to say, "oh, I got 10 more hours of game play" it will be relative to my specific phone use with everything else I'm running on my phone and all other background processes. It's hard to do apple-to-apple comparison between two phones even of the same model when it comes to battery life unless you have a carbon copy image of every app and setup. The bottom line, you are doubling your battery capacity so as a minimum you should see 75%-80% increase in additional use hours (nothing is ideal due to efficiency).

Overall, I was very impressed with a design concept of this battery case, with its innovative approach to double the battery capacity, and with attention UNU paid to the case design with an ultra slim form factor which feels like a regular case rather than a bulky battery add-on. I know it's a bit pricier than other extended batteries, but considering that it's not just a double battery but also a quality case, I think price increase is justified. So if you are looking to double battery life of your S5 and don't want to double the weight or bulky appearance of your phone, I highly recommend to check out UNU Unity case for Galaxy S5.

Here are the pictures.

unu_unity_s5-01_zps6e273e5a.jpg

unu_unity_s5-02_zps3ea30291.jpg

unu_unity_s5-03_zpsc67993ea.jpg

unu_unity_s5-04_zps8d250576.jpg

unu_unity_s5-05_zps811810b5.jpg

unu_unity_s5-06_zps95e606fb.jpg

unu_unity_s5-07_zpsd5effe01.jpg

unu_unity_s5-08_zps0fa98783.jpg

unu_unity_s5-09_zps5549d727.jpg

unu_unity_s5-10_zpsc6441341.jpg

unu_unity_s5-11_zps978bc641.jpg

unu_unity_s5-12_zps5463cdab.jpg

unu_unity_s5-13_zps096b4a20.jpg

unu_unity_s5-14_zps1e49b14f.jpg

unu_unity_s5-15_zps0a351e7e.jpg

unu_unity_s5-16_zps72d05136.jpg

unu_unity_s5-17_zpsb87e3d10.jpg

unu_unity_s5-18_zps9a6c1827.jpg

unu_unity_s5-19_zps5f62df28.jpg

unu_unity_s5-20_zpsde14329d.jpg

unu_unity_s5-21_zpsea82ea36.jpg

unu_unity_s5-22_zpsdd7d2c3f.jpg

unu_unity_s5-23_zps997664c5.jpg

unu_unity_s5-24_zps21872936.jpg

unu_unity_s5-25_zpsf118b354.jpg

unu_unity_s5-26_zps0c8f8b32.jpg
    s5 unu :)

Pros
    -nfc
    -no extra case to charge
    Cons

iCGkZSZ.jpg

5tbqgRB.jpg

I'm getting my s5 tomorrow. Is this the only mophie like case for the s5?

I've had mine for a few weeks. My initial impressions still stand with one exception.

The glossy white/light blue combo still looks like a teenage girl's case. I thought it would get scratched up pretty badly (I am a "face up" rather than "face down" person on the rare occasions my phone is on a surface instead of in my pocket) but it has not at all, still looks brand new.

I still wouldn't call this a particularly slim case but it definitely seems smaller than the alternatives.

Getting into the USB port door is absolutely no problem, they got that part of the design completely right. The headphone jack opening is too small for what used to be the standard size plug (seems that new ones are a lot slimmer now).

There is some dust getting in, which I still don't like. And the hard plastic is creaky and hard and really wouldn't provide cushioning against drops.

So, as a case... meh.

I'm loving the extra battery life though. I've been playing a game recently that with the extra battery takes me under 50% remaining at the end of some days. Without playing that game I would normally only have to charge every other night. I can tether for a couple hours without needing to plug in to power while doing it. Really convenient.

It is kind of annoying when the low battery stuff starts to squawk at a point which is really earlier than it needs to. Small price to pay :)

Will I keep it? Not sure. I'm leaning towards no, sacrificing the extra power since normally I could last a day ok. But I may give the GS5 to my wife in a few months and maybe the case would be more appropriate for her.
    I just got mine today. I like the fit and feel of the case. Seems like quality to me. I can't comment on the battery as I just put it on. When I initially purchased it I thought it was like a mophie, but now after I see what it is, it may actually be better than a mophie. I am not quite sure about the technology but it certainly may perform much better. No need to charge it separately and turn it on and off. :cool:

I have had one for about a week now. Its a good case and battery combo. Too much battery for me though. I'm not a power user by any means. I'm probably gonna sell mine if you are interested let me know.