[Q] bricked Nook

Search This thread

fyrmd

Sep 25, 2011
Google Pixel 7
I was in fastboot, trying to update my CWM. I deleted the old CWM, and didn't get the new one put in apparently. Now I just get the N screen, can't get anything else? Any suggestions?

The Nook was running CM10.2 internally before I messed it up.

macrossmerrell

Feb 12, 2008
Idaho Falls
You need to make a CWM recovery SD Card and flash from there. There should be instructions in this forum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

sagirfahmid3

Jul 20, 2013
Trust me, you can't brick a nook. I did something far worse than you--I deleted the entire partition table of the NT and I still recovered it with a bootable SD. Make sure the LVM and bootable flags are set if you used gparted to flash the SD image.

mikeataol

Nov 21, 2013
I tried that, but the Nook doesn't seem to be looking at the SD card. I am going to try a different one tomorrow.

there's a certain percantage (10% - 20% ) of NOOK tablets that wont boot off the SD card unless you

stick the card in with the unit off
and then
plug the charging cable into the unit

it's called a "tethered boot"

it's something to do with the hardware and the timing of the boot cycle.

petewr

Dec 13, 2012
there's a certain percantage (10% - 20% ) of NOOK tablets that wont boot off the SD card unless you

stick the card in with the unit off
and then
plug the charging cable into the unit

it's called a "tethered boot"

it's something to do with the hardware and the timing of the boot cycle.

Along these same lines:

hook up your nook to it's data/charge cable and the cable into a USB port on your computer.

does your nook show up in the "This PC' panel on the left of your file explorer window? If so, just open it up in file explorer and just simply drop your recovery.img onto that windows root directory.

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I was in fastboot, trying to update my CWM. I deleted the old CWM, and didn't get the new one put in apparently. Now I just get the N screen, can't get anything else? Any suggestions?

The Nook was running CM10.2 internally before I messed it up.
You can use SD-based recovery to flash a flashable CWM recovery zip available at https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xjwc1a482a6ll/Nook_Tablet.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Along these same lines:

hook up your nook to it's data/charge cable and the cable into a USB port on your computer.

does your nook show up in the "This PC' panel on the left of your file explorer window? If so, just open it up in file explorer and just simply drop your recovery.img onto that windows root directory.
recovery.img needs to be in the /recovery partition which is not mounted and accessible as the "root directory" as suggested.

Last edited:

petewr

Dec 13, 2012
You can use SD-based recovery to flash a flashable CWM recovery zip available at https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xjwc1a482a6ll/Nook_Tablet.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

recovery.img needs to be in the /recovery partition which is not mounted and accessible as the "root directory" as suggested.

Fine.
Worked for me.
However that may be, then just install your sdcard in the nook and drop it into that root partition.