[Root] RockMyMoto (Yes, even the first OTA)

Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
This will void your warranty, like all root exploits. Use this at your own risk. Do not take OTAs on rooted devices unless you know what you are doing, as it may cause a bootloop or a soft brick.

RockMyMoto is designed for MotoXs that have recieved the Camera update, patching PwnMyMoto. If you are unsure of your firmware, try PwnMyMoto first.

First step is to install Cydia Impactor, by Saurik. http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ This is required. You will also need adb installed and working, and be comfortable with the command line. Your phone must be on the same network as your PC.

Figure out the ip address of your phone:

adb shell getprop dhcp.wlan0.ipaddress

unzip RockMyMoto-{version}.zip and push the exploit and su to /sdcard/:

adb push su /sdcard/
adb push RockMyMoto.jar /sdcard/

Run Impactor and select "# start telnetd as system on port 2222", then hit start.

Once the process is complete, run telnet:

telnet {your phone's ipaddress} 2222

Run the exploit through telnet

dalvikvm -cp /sdcard/RockMyMoto.jar RockMyMoto

The exploit will tell you to use adb to reboot:

Run the exploit through telnet for the second time, it will reboot on it's own:

Run the exploit through telnet for the third time, it will not reboot:

Wait 0-60 seconds, for su to install, then install SuperSu from the market.

Enjoy!

Known issues:

If you have AP isolation mode enabled in your AP (aka WiFi router) you won't be able to connect to your phone via telnet, disable isolation.

Windows users having trouble see here

Attachments

• RockMyMoto-1.1.zip
    63.8 KB · Views: 2,904
Last edited:

needshelp101

Jul 27, 2010
Looks like I'm going to be at a loss. I never learned how to use adb :/

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ExceterM

Oct 31, 2012
Quick question about this exploit. I know that the issue with the first two earlier methods is that everything is still signature checked, which prevents Custom ROM/Kernel flashing, as well as Custom Recoveries.

Does this exploit bypass the signature check to allow for custom recovery, or not just yet?

PS: Your skills are godlike. A million thanks for your root hacks!

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
I'm not sure why or how I did this but I am rooted with no write protection off I still have stock recovery. Everything went smooth but when I entered dalvikvm -cp /sdcard/RockMyMoto.jar RockMyMoto for the first time it said I was rooted and to install super user I have tried since to go through the steps but i end up in the same spot

~ $ dalvikvm -cp /sdcard/RockMyMoto.jar RockMyMoto
RockMyMoto 1.0
by Justin Case
PayPal Donations maybe sent to: jcase@cunninglogic.com
Special thanks to saurik, you rock!

You are rooted, please install SuperSu. Exiting...
~ $ dalvikvm -cp /sdcard/RockMyMoto.jar RockMyMoto
RockMyMoto 1.0
by Justin Case
PayPal Donations maybe sent to: jcase@cunninglogic.com
Special thanks to saurik, you rock!

You are rooted, please install SuperSu. Exiting...

Last edited:

@work

I am getting link failed file exists when attempting to start telnet.

Forget all that, I was using the wrong port, now the process beings to start the telnet process hangs at waiting for completion then goes back to the impactor main menu, the telnet connection is not successful after that.

I am using the latest soak test update, Am I wrong thinking that this method works with that update?

---------- Post added 6th November 2013 at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was 5th November 2013 at 11:47 PM ----------

I uh, i'm an idiot, forgot I have multiple subnets at home. Worked like a charm.

Last edited:

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
youve almost got a triple negitive going on there, so to clarify, you are rooted, with write protection disabled (ie cant make lasting changes to /system) and you still have stock recovery. is that right?

Yup sorry if it was confusing.

Ok I think I figured it out my phone is already rooted even after a factory reset. I used voodoo when I took the update and everything worked but I had no touchless controls so I did a factory reset after installing stock recovery. I must have had the protected su on the phone still and it stayed unless jcase has a work around for this I am stuck until the new fxz comes out. Then I can completely wipe su out and I will be able to start all over. It really is not that big of a deal I can use almost everything with just root even xpsosed setting work. It would appear the exploit does not allow you to run it if you have root it must verify you do and thinks all is well so it never installs the writer protection off and replaces the stock recovery. My stupid mistake for trying to short cut this I should have just did an fxz took the update and used this method.

Last edited:

needshelp101

Jul 27, 2010
I've never used adb before in my life. Would you recommend me trying it lol. Meaning would it be easy for a first timer.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Brenardo

Nov 13, 2010
ADB is not difficult. There are tons of tutorials all over the web. I wish I knew more about telnet and the other stuff involved tho

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ceelos218

Oct 1, 2011
You need to go into settings and about phone. Scroll to the bottom to build number and tap it like 6-7 times you'll see it countdown and say "now you are a developer". This enables developer options

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ohh man thank you.. i was about to give up and just wait for kitkat. im off to try this rockmymoto again... so frustrating for my noobiness,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This will void your warranty, like all root exploits. Use this at your own risk. Do not take OTAs on rooted devices unless you know what you are doing, as it may cause a bootloop or a soft brick.

RockMyMoto is designed for MotoXs that have recieved the Camera update, patching PwnMyMoto. If you are unsure of your firmware, try PwnMyMoto first.

First step is to install Cydia Impactor, by Saurik. http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ This is required. You will also need adb installed and working, and be comfortable with the command line. Your phone must be on the same network as your PC.

Figure out the ip address of your phone:

adb shell getprop dhcp.wlan0.ipaddress

unzip RockMyMoto-{version}.zip and push the exploit and su to /sdcard/:

adb push su /sdcard/
    adb push RockMyMoto.jar /sdcard/

Run Impactor and select "# start telnetd as system on port 2222", then hit start.

Once the process is complete, run telnet:

telnet {your phone's ipaddress} 2222

Run the exploit through telnet

The exploit will tell you to use adb to reboot:

Run the exploit through telnet for the second time, it will reboot on it's own:

Run the exploit through telnet for the third time, it will not reboot:

Wait 0-60 seconds, for su to install, then install SuperSu from the market.

Enjoy!

Known issues:

If you have AP isolation mode enabled in your AP (aka WiFi router) you won't be able to connect to your phone via telnet, disable isolation.

Windows users having trouble see here
    Hey guys--

I had issues with the process when I got to the telnet parts, so I wanted to share how I resolved the issue in hopes that it helps others.

First off, adb refused to tell me the phone's IP address. I tried the command numerous times and it never worked. But you can see it in Android, just go to wi-fi settings and then hit options bar / advanced, and it will show your IP address in the bottom of the page. Just be certain that you're on the same network as your computer.

Until I watched the video I wasn't sure where to enter telnet commands. After watching the video, I still wasn't sure how to get to telnet. Turns out it's not installed by default on Windows machines. To use it, hit Start and type "Change Windows Features On or Off" and hit the first link that comes up. Select telnet client in that list of options, hit ok, and wait for it to finish installing. Then when you get to the part where you have to connect via telnet, hit Start again and type telnet and hit enter to launch a telnet instance in a cmd. To connect to your phone, substitute the OP's instructions of typing "telnet {your phone's ipaddress} 2222" with this command:

It should open a connection and the first time will ask you to solve an algebra problem. Then proceed with the instructions and you should be good to go. Hope that helps someone else who might have been lost and confused with telnet as I was.
    Here is for the Newbie, someone that doesn't understand what ADT Bundle or adb means, and has never attempted the adb process of Rooting..this is the RockMyMoto exploit procedure..

Please donate to Jcase for all his labors on this Root exploit..

This is a simplified version of preparing the Windows computer, to run the exploit from start to finished, and have a Rooted XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx..

Instructions download here >> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B67RS0BDBp_iaVFhZDd2dmtaTFE/edit?usp=docslist_api

Zip file download here >> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B67RS0BDBp_iOWNNa1B0NXo4OTg/edit?usp=docslist_api

sent by my MZ617-32 XYBoard 10.1_SafeStrap v3.12_Jelly Bean 4.1.2
    XT1080M…A step by step procedure, for RockMyMoto Root exploit, in southern country boy, old folk terms..

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B67RS0BDBp_ia0JyVVdadWJBM1k/edit?usp=docslist_api