[GUIDE] How to get root on the 10.1v

Search This thread

Danidemi

Sep 9, 2010
Gorinchem
www.chopperdome.nl
I flashed it permanently and all is working as it was. May I now please have this "Balls of steel badge"? :p

Still I dont know of a way to enter the recovery though. I tried 'adb reboot recovery' but that only powers off the device, as it did before I flashed it. Also no key combination get me into the recovery menu. Ideas?

EDIT: The command 'adb reboot recovery' does work when I use Remote ADB and thus not with the USB cable. When I use the USB cable it powers off and shows me the battery being charged. It seems the charging screen is taking over when you reboot through ABD.

I have Rommanager installed and when i go in to the menu and choose reboot into RECOVERY <<< it boots to recovery.... Funny isn't it.

Now finding the nurve to back up my rom in Rommanager like what can go wrong... now we have root and recovery.

btw : I live in holland but my tab doesn't supprt Dutch any one got an idea?

thnx

bcmobile

Jan 9, 2009
Sydney
Don't flash cm yet. If the partition layout is different you may end up with a brick.

Between fastboot and the stock recovery you can flash whatever you need. ROM manager is awesome but we will just have to wait for a proper i7100 version.

Sent from my GT-P7100 using XDA Premium App

bcmobile

Jan 9, 2009
Sydney
I used Rom Manager to boot into recovery, too.
But now it always boot into there.. Somehow weird..

Was able to get out of there :)

It probably flashed over your boot partition. Just flash back your backup over boot from fastboot and you should be OK.

I think another "balls of steel " badge might be in order :)

seraphimserapis

May 25, 2009
Berlin
www.sera-apps.de
It probably flashed over your boot partition. Just flash back your backup over boot from fastboot and you should be OK.

I think another "balls of steel " badge might be in order :)

Nah - I didn't install and boot then into recovery ;) I just used it to boot into recovery.

My CWM should be finished as soon as we get sdcard to mount!

Draco32

Nov 22, 2009
Nah - I didn't install and boot then into recovery ;) I just used it to boot into recovery.

My CWM should be finished as soon as we get sdcard to mount!

Just a note on this there is a fail-safe in the kernel for the 10.1v so when you do reboot recovery from adb and it goes to the Android with an exclamation screen if you leave it on that screen for a few minutes it will automatically reboot the tablet into normal boot mode.

This concludes to me that there is no recovery installed on this tablet. As the kernel is not able to load anything.

Azlock

Apr 18, 2011
how long is it supposed to take

how long is the flash supposed to take my is just sitting there with flashing MBR to device on the screen

Draco32

Nov 22, 2009
running the fastboot command to load the skitzdroid image took me less then 2 minutes to load.

You will hear usb disconnect noise then about 15 - 20 seconds later it will load recovery.

djmasque

Jun 28, 2009
Before unlocking their bootloader, did anyone use any software to back up their app data?

I haven't used any non-root backup apps for a while. Do any work well? I remember MyBackup Pro used to work okay.

bcmobile

Jan 9, 2009
Sydney
Before unlocking their bootloader, did anyone use any software to back up their app data?

I haven't used any non-root backup apps for a while. Do any work well? I remember MyBackup Pro used to work okay.

Just use dd

There is a thread which tells you which partition is which - or there was some discussion about it earlier in this thread

djmasque

Jun 28, 2009
Just use dd

There is a thread which tells you which partition is which - or there was some discussion about it earlier in this thread

Ah, okay. Thanks.

I saw that part but was under the impression that dd was used after unlocking bootloader.

EDIT: So, for clarification, would I:

1. Use adb and enter dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/sdcard/data.img to backup /data partition
2. Unlock bootloader
3. Permaroot device
4. Restore data.img (not sure how to do this)

Last edited:

bcmobile

Jan 9, 2009
Sydney
Ah, okay. Thanks.

I saw that part but was under the impression that dd was used after unlocking bootloader.

Yes, it is. You also need root.

Sorry, I should have been clearer but Im at work and in a rush.

Unlocking the bootloader and booting (not flashing) the root zip will not make any permanent changes which can't be undone (just a couple of extra files in /system). You are safe until you actually flash the recovery, then you would need the backup in order to revert to stock. I have backups of each of these which I will upload at some point.

djmasque

Jun 28, 2009
Yes, it is. You also need root.

Sorry, I should have been clearer but Im at work and in a rush.

Unlocking the bootloader and booting (not flashing) the root zip will not make any permanent changes which can't be undone (just a couple of extra files in /system). You are safe until you actually flash the recovery, then you would need the backup in order to revert to stock. I have backups of each of these which I will upload at some point.

Thanks for your help. I'll probably hold off until I understand the process better or another method arrives.

I'm used to Nexus One and was under the impression that once the bootloader is unlocked, it can't be re-locked. Has anyone actually tested fastbook oem lock on this device?

I also thought that unlocking the bootloader wiped all my data, hence my initial question re backup.

johnblade

Jul 16, 2008
Rome
running the fastboot command to load the skitzdroid image took me less then 2 minutes to load.

You will hear usb disconnect noise then about 15 - 20 seconds later it will load recovery.

2 minutes for temp root, or permanent??

i try to get a permanent root but it freeze on "flashing MBR to device"

and... the last question.. the difference for temp root and permanent??

sorry but i'm a noob in the Android World!

And sorry for my english language!

Egan

May 29, 2010
2 minutes for temp root, or permanent??

i try to get a permanent root but it freeze on "flashing MBR to device"

When fastboot in the terminal says its done, then you're good to reboot. You can ignore what's on the tab screen.

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

Egan

May 29, 2010
and... the last question.. the difference for temp root and permanent??
The difference is just as it says, either temporary or permanent. This means with temporary that you only boot the recovery image once without actually flashing it to the device. When you flash the image to the device its permanent, which means you overwrite the current recovery and without a backup you cant go back.

When you flashed permanently you can go into the recovery with 'adb reboot recovery', however this currently only works when connected remotely to ADB (Remote ADB app), thus not through USB cable.

The recovery itself is in both methods identical.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnblade

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BEFORE YOU BEGIN

As always, mucking with your device at this level is risky. If you follow this process, you do so entirely at your own risk. I accept no responsibility for any detrimental effects resulting from following this process, or for any problems associated with the updated files. Only if you accept these risks should you use these instructions.

PREREQUISITES
    • Unlocked bootloader (see my guide to do this)
    • Working fastboot (also see my guide )
    • Patience

NOTES
    I developed and followed this process on Ubuntu Natty, 64bit. I see no reason why it should not work on any other platform, since the only tool used is fastboot and the syntax for fastboot is the same on any platform. if you need to know how to get fastboot working, there are already many guides for that (see my how to unlock your bootloader thread, for example)

BUTTON CONFUSION
    When in landscape mode, with the camera at the top, the power button is on the left 'vertical' side of the tab. On the top is the volume rocker. In this orientation:
    - The LEFT side of the volume rocker is VOLUME DOWN
    - The RIGHT side of the volume rocker is VOLUME UP
    This might seem obvious, but to anyone who is used to phones, this is the opposite, since they were designed to be used in Portrait mode.

PREPARE
    1) With your Tab in fastboot mode (step 1 of "GETTING ROOT" below), make sure you have a working fastboot implementation:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    If all is well, you should see your device serial number. If there is a problem, you won't get any response.

2) Downlad View attachment skitzandroid-10-1v-root_0.2.zip and View attachment skitzandroid-stock-recovery.zip

3) Create a folder on your desktop called "root"
    Code:
    mkdir ~/Desktop/root
    for Ubuntu or
    Code:
    md %userprofile%\desktop\root
    for Windows
    This will be referred to as the working directory throughout the rest of this guide

4) Copy skitzandroid-10-1v-root.zip to your working directory (DO NOT UNZIP!)

5) Extract the skitzandroid-recovery.img file from skitzandroid-stock-recovery.zip to your working folder. Your working folder should now have 1 IMG file and one ZIP file.

6) This was an afterthought - Make sure fastboot is somewhere in your path (ie can be executed from anywhere). To test, 'cd' to any random folder and type 'fastboot' and make sure it runs.

7) Copy the skitzandroid-10-1v-root.zip file to the root of your sdcard. You can eithe drag/drop, or run:
    Code:
    adb push skitzandroid-10-1v-root.zip /sdcard/
    from your working directory

...now the easy part

GETTING ROOT

1) Power off your Tab and power it back on, while holding the VOLUME DOWN button.

2) When the DOWNLOAD / FASTBOOT icons appear, press VOLUME DOWN again to select FASTBOOT icon (the one with the USB logo) and press VOLUME UP to confirm selection.

3) Confirm you are now in fastboot mode and do a:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    If all is well, you should see your device serial number.

4) Open a terminal / CMD prompt and CD to your working folder
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/root
    for Ubuntu or
    Code:
    cd %userprofile%\desktop\root
    for Windows

5) Run the following command:
    Temp Root:
    Code:
    fastboot boot skitzandroid-recovery.img
    ..and wait. It might not look like anything is happening but it is.
    Permanent Root:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery skitzandroid-recovery.img

6) You should now have a recovery menu. Use the volume rocker (up/down navigates menu options) to select "Install zip from SDCARD" (or something like that - if someone can post the exact menu item wording, I will update the guide). Press (tap!) the POWER button to confirm the menu selection

7) Navigate to the root of your internal storage (/sdcard), select the skitzandroid-10-1v-root.zip file and press (tap!) the POWER button to confirm selection.

8) Once complete, use the Volume rocker to select "REBOOT" from the menu and press (tap!!!) the POWER button to confirm selection.

9) You're done! Press the thanks button on this thread to continue ;)

TESTING

1) Once your Tab boots up, check your apps menu to confirm the existence of SuperUser app.
    2) With the Tab attached to your PC via USB cable, do the following:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    ..and watch the screen on your Tab for a SuperUser prompt. If you see this, congratulations!

If you have never rooted a phone/tablet before, go get Titanium Backup Pro and ROM Manager from the market. As soon as the custom ROMs start flowing in, you'll be all set to go.

Edit: How about thanking smaskell who was very patient and persistent in dumping the image from his Google IO 10.1 - for the good of his fellow XDA members. Without his help, this would not be possible.
    Note that the above process doesn't flash the recovery, just loads it.

If you want to flash the recovery permanently, all you need to do is follow the guide above and then, in step 5, use this command instead:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery skitzandroid-recovery.img

You will then have a permanent recovery which you can get to by doing:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    reboot recovery
    at any time.

Note that doing just
    ...for some bizarre reason does not boot to recovery. Open up a shell first, as shown above.

I will also give you credit in the guide for having "Balls of Steel" to steal a phrase from PaulObrien :D

EDIT:
    ...and the Balls of Steel award goes to *drumroll*
    :cool: Egan :cool:
    ...for having the balls to flash the recovery. Thanks egan. If I was in a battle, I'd definitely want you in our squad :D
    I tried to root my tab on ICS (4.0.4).
    First I tried to use the latest droidbasement recovery, but it didn't boot. So I used the old recovery.img, then applied the skitzandroid-10-1v-root_0.2.zip
    That worked and I rebootet the tab.
    Now I have a Superuser App. But the problem is: it doesn't give any root permissions. No confirm dialog, nothing in superuser log.

How can I get superuser to work in ICS again?

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

I tried to root my tab on ICS (4.0.4).
    First I tried to use the latest droidbasement recovery, but it didn't boot. So I used the old recovery.img, then applied the skitzandroid-10-1v-root_0.2.zip
    That worked and I rebootet the tab.
    Now I have a Superuser App. But the problem is: it doesn't give any root permissions. No confirm dialog, nothing in superuser log.

How can I get superuser to work in ICS again?

Got It. Thanks to isimobile!! :good:

Works nearly like the tutorial in the first post. But you need to flash the new su binary afterwards too.
    su binary for ARM from here: http://androidsu.com/superuser/
    Copy that to /sdcard and reboot in fastboot (usb mode).
    fastboot boot skitzandroid-recovery.img, then update su from sdcard
    Thats it.
    FAQ
    • Does it need unlocked bootloader? Yes, see my other guide for this.
    • Do I need to wipe, or will it wipe my device? No and No.
    • Can I return my device to factory default config? Yes. This process does not flash the partition unless you follow the process in post 2 which is optional.

Changelog
    0.2 - Added busybox (can be flashed over the top of 0.1 without wipe)
    0.1 - Initial Relase

Factory Voda Tab Images
    COWS ePlana

Hi Le Dam,

I've been trying to root my Tab but had the same problem as you...
    I guess this has to do with the superuser zip file from h**p://androidsu.com/superuser/.
    Could you please confirm which of the files you used?

su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip

or

Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip

Thanks

Hi durius,

First, I flash su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip but I but I have not seen any change.
    In second time, I've flashed Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip and it work !

I can't say if you must flash only Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip or if you must flash su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip AND Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip?

(sorry for my bad english, I usually speak french)

;)

Come back to tell us if it works!