CyanogenMod bringup for i9200/i9205

Search This thread

Grarak

Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2012
Vienna
Hi,

Such lines are not there it seems:

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "meliusltexx" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "meliusltexx");
show_progress(0.500000, 0);
format("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", "0", "/system");
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", "/system");

(don't kill me, not very good in these things)

remove

Code:
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "meliusltexx" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "meliusltexx");

Droidphilev

remove

Code:

i deleted "assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "meliusltexx" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "meliusltexx");" and tried again. it starts flashing and gives no errors. After that it doesn't boot anymore. It tries to boot into recovery but it fails. Looks like /system is empty.

stiggy2012

Nov 15, 2012
Flashed by removing the assert lines as suggested.

The rom doesn't boot quite boot. The "Samsung Galaxy Mega" logo show, which then starts to go a kind-of purple colour, then the screen goes black, then the device spontaniously reboots into recovery mode after approx 45 seconds.

So there's an issue with the display driver or something, plus it looks like there's probably something failing in init.rc causing a reboot? Just my best guess.

Thanks again for you hard work, we seem to be getting closer!! :good:

Grarak

Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2012
Vienna
Flashed by removing the assert lines as suggested.

The rom doesn't boot quite boot. The "Samsung Galaxy Mega" logo show, which then starts to go a kind-of purple colour, then the screen goes black, then the device spontaniously reboots into recovery mode after approx 45 seconds.

So there's an issue with the display driver or something, plus it looks like there's probably something failing in init.rc causing a reboot? Just my best guess.

Thanks again for you hard work, we seem to be getting closer!! :good:

Do you have access via ADB?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: zeyadhan

stiggy2012

Nov 15, 2012
Do you have access via ADB?

Maybe from CWM, but I don't think it boots far enough to get the ADB daemon started on the image. I will check that the /system partition is definitely flashing correctly from the CWM ADB once I get home from my friends house to my own laptop with ADB installed, but I suspect it did as writing the image did take a little time...

Anything else that I can do?

stiggy2012

Nov 15, 2012
OK, so having checked via CWM ADB I can now see that the flash definitely worked correctly. So my best guess is that there's something in init.rc stopping the system from fully booting, plus presumably the black screen issue too. I don't know of any way to get any console output at boot time however, so I've found it difficult to fix this stuff previously. Is it possibly for init.rc to write out to a file? The clue is probably in that the device reboots to recovery, rather that simply bootlooping...

Any ideas? :confused:

zeyadhan

Jul 4, 2012
tripoli
i flash the rom but it cant boot i think that the problem in kernel thank you Grarak for your hard working i hope we can get it boot soon

Grarak

Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2012
Vienna
Someone know how to un and repack boot.img?

use zImage from stock kernel and replace it with cm one

stiggy2012

Nov 15, 2012
Someone know how to un and repack boot.img?

use zImage from stock kernel and replace it with cm one

So stock kernel with cm initramfs? I'll do it now, will let you know.

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

OK, assuming I repacked the boot.img correctly, that just results in a boot-loop. Samsung Galaxy Mega logo shows, then screen goes black for approx 2 seconds before reboot.

The mkbootimg command I used:

mkbootimg --kernel boot.img-zImage --ramdisk boot.img-ramdisk.gz --cmdline "androidboot.hardware=qcom user_debug=31 zcache" --base 80200000 --pagesize 2048 -o stockkernelcmramdiskboot.img

Does that look right? I wasn't sure about the --ramdiskaddr or --board options.

Grarak

Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2012
Vienna
So stock kernel with cm initramfs? I'll do it now, will let you know.

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

OK, assuming I repacked the boot.img correctly, that just results in a boot-loop. Samsung Galaxy Mega logo shows, then screen goes black for approx 2 seconds before reboot.

The mkbootimg command I used:

mkbootimg --kernel boot.img-zImage --ramdisk boot.img-ramdisk.gz --cmdline "androidboot.hardware=qcom user_debug=31 zcache" --base 80200000 --pagesize 2048 -o stockkernelcmramdiskboot.img

Does that look right? I wasn't sure about the --ramdiskaddr or --board options.

Try with dsixda kitchen

stiggy2012

Nov 15, 2012
Wow, cool tool! No difference in the outcome though, screen goes black for a few seconds and then the phone reboots.

stiggy2012

Nov 15, 2012
So.... We've got to basically the same point I got to, using basically the same technique. What's next? I've done a fair amount of googleing I can't find anything on debuging initrc issues.

Does anyone know of any methods to see where/what in the boot-scripts is failing so that we can fix?

Grarak

Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2012
Vienna
Sorry that I am not updating this anymore, I am very busy with the S4 right now.
@stiggy2012
try to build a kernel from Samsung Open Source and try to boot a custom kernel

Droidphilev

Techngro

Dec 4, 2010
NYC
Bounty?

My thinking is that all we need is one good ROM for this phone. Maybe we could get a bounty started for the first dev with a stable port of any of the popular ROMs. That might get some interest. I don't know if bounties are still allowed, but i'd be willing to put in at least $20. If a MOD could let me know, i'll start a thread.

Reactions: mse_uk

mse_uk

Jul 17, 2012
Hi m8, I'd happily contribute to a bounty too. I've tried and failed myself so it's going to need somebody who has done it before. I'll match your $20.

Sent from some dark corner of my imagination from my Mega (or) Note.

n1tro

Aug 14, 2007
Whats with talk about needing a custom rom? The stock one is perfectly fine. Dont like the TW interface, use a different launcher. Feel that the stock rom lags, use a debloated stock rom. Be glad everything works unlike on the custom roms. I love custom roms on my note 2 but I would always be flashing because everything was a work in progress. Sides, I mainly use them mostly because I can turn down the dpi down to 240. But now that the mega is already at 240, I can learn to use the phone again instead of using a custom rom and sacrificing this or that feature. By the time the features come in, its already time to be upgrading your phone which you never got to fully use because you were waiting for the next big release of <insert custom rom name>.

Sent from my GT-I9205 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Grarak

Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2012
Vienna
Whats with talk about needing a custom rom? The stock one is perfectly fine. Dont like the TW interface, use a different launcher. Feel that the stock rom lags, use a debloated stock rom. Be glad everything works unlike on the custom roms. I love custom roms on my note 2 but I would always be flashing because everything was a work in progress. Sides, I mainly use them mostly because I can turn down the dpi down to 240. But now that the mega is already at 240, I can learn to use the phone again instead of using a custom rom and sacrificing this or that feature. By the time the features come in, its already time to be upgrading your phone which you never got to fully use because you were waiting for the next big release of <insert custom rom name>.

Sent from my GT-I9205 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

This is XDA here we are modding and hacking phones, if you don't want cm then ignore this thread and be happy with touchwiz

Top Liked Posts