How to backup large size apps for non rooted phones!!

Search This thread
Mar 7, 2014
Cairo
Howdy, everyone

If you may have tried to backup an app with a higher size than 100 Megabytes, you may have noticed that you will get an .apk file that is lower than 100 Megabytes even if this app consumes 1 gigabyte of your device storage.

*The reason behind this is that Google Play doesn't allow developers to upload an .apk file that's larger than 100 Megabytes, so for the apps and games that is bigger in size, they have to put some additional files which takes an extension called .obb and it'd contain the rest of the app assets.

-Backing up these apps:

#Head to the following directory in your mobile: /sdcard/Android/obb
1402755467063.jpg

#You will find a folder named as following in general: com."developer name"."app name" with no spaces.
1402755815506.jpg

#Locate the file of the chosen app then open it you will find an .obb files/file.

#Copy all the files inside there to your computer or any safe place, you may copy the whole folder.

#Get any app that could backup your installed apps into an .apk file, for example ES File Explorer from Google Play.

#Backup the required app and you're done.
1402755427170.jpg

#When you are ready to restore the app, just create a folder inside the folder "obb" with the same name then put the files you copied from there before, or simply copy the whole folder again.

#Install the .apk file you have created through the app installer normally, then open the app while you have an Internet connection just to verify the setup and the app will automatically link itself to the folder you created.

Now your app is ready again

Best Regards
Bannora

Last edited:

pshashikant

Oct 1, 2013
Very useful Tip

This is indeed very useful tip. You can easily backup your large game apps using this technique.

Howdy, everyone

*I think that you guys might have been trying to backup an app with a higher size than 50 Megabytes, you may have noticed that you will get an .apk file that is lower than 50 Megabytes even if this app consumes 1 gigabyte of your device storage!

*The reason of this concern is that the Google Play store doesn't allow developers to upload an .apk file >50 Megabytes, so for the apps that is higher they have to develop additional files with .obb extension to contain all of the remaining data in it then upload it to the store!

Let's get into the easy steps to backup the required app:

#Head to the following directory in your mobile: /sdcard/Android/obb
View attachment 2797782

#You will find a folder named as following in general: com."developer name"."app name" with no spaces.
View attachment 2797789

#Locate the file of the chosen app then open it you will find an .obb files/file.

#Copy all the files you can see to your computer or any safe place, you may copy the whole folder.

#Get any app that could backup your installed apps into an .apk file, for example ES File Explorer available on Google Play.

#Backup the required app and you're done. View attachment 2797780

#All you have to do now when you are ready to restore the app is to create a folder in obb folder with the same name format and put the files you copied from there before, or simply copy the whole folder again.

#Install the .apk file you have created ordinarily, and open the app while you have an Internet connection just to verify the setup.

Now your app is ready again to be used exactly like the old days!

Tell me if this was useful and if I have said something wrong.

Best Regards
Abdelrahman Khalid Bannora

Sent from Egypt!!

eddyhall

Mar 12, 2011
Mobogenie let's you download from your PC,move ALL apps to SD, download YouTube videos, backup data, and one click for root. Let me know how it works for you. Move KNOX to SD? I did.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Mar 7, 2014
Cairo
I don't use Mobegenie!
However backing up with it won't let you get an .apk file format with higher size than 50 Megabytes!!

Sent from my GT-I9082 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have a rooted phone just use titanium backup. Works awesome. If you have a stock phone... use this method.