WT19i | Touch only works with GB roms .. plz help !

Search This thread

Angelina7

May 26, 2014
Hello friends.

I am new to this wonderful community and very happy to be a part of it.

I am facing a very strange problem. I am trying to update my WT9i Live with walkman from Gingerbread to Ice cream sandwich. Problem is .. whenever I flash an ICS rom my touch doesn't work !! Everything else works fine (physical keys / network / audio). Then if I install GB rom again it works flawlessly.

I have unlocked bootloader.

I am using Flashtool to flash stock roms.

* WT19i_4.0.2.A.0.58_(1254-1868).ftf = works

* WT19i_4.0.2.A.0.62_(1254-1889).ftf = works

* WT19i_4.1.B.0.431_Generic.ftf = touch doesn't respond

* WT19i_4.1.B.0.587_Generic.ftf = touch doesn't respond

* WT19i_4.1.B.0.587_CUSTOMIZED CE3 WORLD I 1254-1889.ftf = touch doesn't respond

I have no idea what could be the reason. Any GB roms works smoothly. Any ICS roms bricks the touch screen. I have tried custom kernel (mesa .. kappa) and many custom ICS rom .. same problem. But at any moment I flash GB rom .. everything works.

I did all the research I could (for last 4 days) and read many threads .. tried many things. Nothing helped.

Please help me! Please Please Please.

Angelina7

May 26, 2014
I have seen many threads with problem "touch does't work because of flashing wrong rom or kernel".

I don't think that's my case. Because whenever I flash a stock GB rom .. it works just fine. Problem happens with ICS roms .. custom or stock.

I am going to try some custom GB rom with custom kernel. I'll post if that works.

This thread is most likely my last hope of finding a solution .. please help!

Angelina7

May 26, 2014
Just out of curiosity downloaded the 587 ICS generic rom from flasstool website then flashes it .. same touch problem.

Now downloading latest Nightly CM10 coconut. I'll try it. CM 9.1 stable did not worked .. same touch problem.

Please Help ! I dont see a clue ! Why ICS roms would freeze my touch when everything else works? I am on the verge of throwing my phone out of window !!!

Angelina7

May 26, 2014
Latest CM10 Nightly build = same problem .. touch screen is not working.

Flashed Stock GB = everything is fine !

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Angelina7

May 26, 2014
Now I am downloading every regional roms of stock ICS .. its all I can think of.

I know its a very old phone and update / development for it completely stopped. Its forgotten. Still I love this little cute handset and I would love to get ICS on it (for app support .. many app do not work on GB .. like google chrome).

So please help !

Last edited:
Hello there!

Quick question: has your LWW ever been repaired? Like, had it's touch digitizer replaced or manipulated in any way?

I know some replacement parts can conflict with non-stock (or "comes-out-of-the-box" to be precise) software. I bought a replacement display for my Mini Pro and it would just freeze on CM10.1 but worked (kinda) on stock ICS.

And yeah, it's and old phone, but a good one. Development for it and it's 2011 brothers has clearly slowed down but has absolutely not stopped :)

Reactions: Angelina7

Angelina7

May 26, 2014
Hello there!

Quick question: has your LWW ever been repaired? Like, had it's touch digitizer replaced or manipulated in any way?

I know some replacement parts can conflict with non-stock (or "comes-out-of-the-box" to be precise) software. I bought a replacement display for my Mini Pro and it would just freeze on CM10.1 but worked (kinda) on stock ICS.

And yeah, it's and old phone, but a good one. Development for it and it's 2011 brothers has clearly slowed down but has absolutely not stopped :)

Hello. Thank you for replying. Its a second hand phone .. my brother purchased it from a friend then gave it to me. So it may have a replaced display or digitizer. I just checked with my brother and he said his friend never repaired the phone.

So GB and ICS use different digitizer drivers? Is it possible to use GB touch drivers with ICS?

Angelina7

May 26, 2014
Hello Friends.

I am posting this in case someone else face the same problem and find this thread. In my opinion ..this is a very rare and strange problem.

This problem should never happen with an original handset.

If your touch only works with Gingerbread stock roms and even after complete wipe other stock roms freeze your touch .. then you can be sure that your touch was replaced with a cheap one. Go to a servicing center and replace it with a good touch or sell the phone to someone else who doesn't care about updates.

I went to a servicing center today and replaced my touch. Now it works smoothly with stock ICS rom. I am sure it will work with CM too. It costed me around 25$.

1 tip to recognize low quality touch. Low quality touch will not have transparent bottom-left and bottom-right button. You wont be able to see the key lights through it. Good quality touch will have transparent button. Another warning .. after market touch is most probably not scratch resistant like the original touch .. so you may want to use a good screen protector (plastic film) on it.

This is not only for WT19i. Whenever you buy a secondhand set .. make sure its touch wasn't replaced and best to check if its upgraded and working properly.

Thanks to "Pixelado" for hinting me about the replaced touch issue. Then it made sense to me .. there was no other logical reason for the stock rom not working.

I am very happy with my upgraded ICS :) But kinda sad about the money loss ! Anyway loss is loss. This is a good handset and I hope it will serve me good. Now looking for a way to root it.

Reactions: karandpr
i'm always more than glad to help :)

Now, on the rooting issue, I strongly recommend unlocking your bootloader and flashing a pre-rooted kernel. Why, you ask? Well, you'll find out eventually :)

Custom kernels often pack a bunch of optimizations and the ability to overclock. I strongly recommend Rage kernel for stock ICS. Once you flash it, i'll take care of rooting your phone on first boot. If you're not able to unlock your bootloader/don't feel comfortable flashing kernels, rooting by exploits is your only choice.

By the way, I strongly suggest giving LegacyXperia CM10.1 a try. Its awesome

Angelina7

May 26, 2014
i'm always more than glad to help :)

Now, on the rooting issue, I strongly recommend unlocking your bootloader and flashing a pre-rooted kernel. Why, you ask? Well, you'll find out eventually :)

Custom kernels often pack a bunch of optimizations and the ability to overclock. I strongly recommend Rage kernel for stock ICS. Once you flash it, i'll take care of rooting your phone on first boot. If you're not able to unlock your bootloader/don't feel comfortable flashing kernels, rooting by exploits is your only choice.

By the way, I strongly suggest giving LegacyXperia CM10.1 a try. Its awesome

Thanks a lot Pixelado. I have unlocked bootloader and using mesa kernel 4.8. Would Rage 3.2 would be better than Mesa?

I'll try LegacyXperia CM10.1 .. appreciate the recommendation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello there!

Hello Friends.

I am posting this in case someone else face the same problem and find this thread. In my opinion ..this is a very rare and strange problem.

This problem should never happen with an original handset.

If your touch only works with Gingerbread stock roms and even after complete wipe other stock roms freeze your touch .. then you can be sure that your touch was replaced with a cheap one. Go to a servicing center and replace it with a good touch or sell the phone to someone else who doesn't care about updates.

I went to a servicing center today and replaced my touch. Now it works smoothly with stock ICS rom. I am sure it will work with CM too. It costed me around 25$.

1 tip to recognize low quality touch. Low quality touch will not have transparent bottom-left and bottom-right button. You wont be able to see the key lights through it. Good quality touch will have transparent button. Another warning .. after market touch is most probably not scratch resistant like the original touch .. so you may want to use a good screen protector (plastic film) on it.

This is not only for WT19i. Whenever you buy a secondhand set .. make sure its touch wasn't replaced and best to check if its upgraded and working properly.

Thanks to "Pixelado" for hinting me about the replaced touch issue. Then it made sense to me .. there was no other logical reason for the stock rom not working.

I am very happy with my upgraded ICS :) But kinda sad about the money loss ! Anyway loss is loss. This is a good handset and I hope it will serve me good. Now looking for a way to root it.