[Q] Problems with Google Play Music on M8

Search This thread

holychain

Aug 7, 2010
Bonn
Hey everybody,

Having an odd issue with my brand new M8, which is completely stock. Few days ago I've received an firmware update (1.57.111.2 / German T-Mobile CID) for my handset. Since that update I'm not able to use Google Play Music while connected to my wlan network. It seems like, that Play Music is not able to recognize my fully functional connection and therefore refuses to download and/or stream music.

All other apps (including Spotify) are able to use my wlan connection without any problems.

Turning wlan off helps to correct that error, but that workaround burns away my included traffic ;)

Here's what I tried without success:

1. Did a factory reset
2. Deleted all wlan connections and reconfigured them
3. Cleared Play Music's caches
4. Contacted HTC (recommended the factory reset) as well as my provider (didn't have a clue)
5. Checked the number of eligible devices with Google (currently 3 out of 10)

Now I'm a bit puzzled on how to solve this issue and wanted to ask, if anybody did experience (and maybe solved) this issue.

Best,
Marc

Last edited:

smrfd

May 23, 2012
I'm having the same problem. I received a update from T-Mobile USA for my M8 this past weekend. Google Play Music can't keep on device or stream with "Download via Wi-Fi only" and/or "Stream via Wi-Fi only" checked in settings. I hope it's not draining my data

Sent from my HTC One_M8

holychain

Aug 7, 2010
Bonn
I'm having the same problem. I received a update from T-Mobile USA for my M8 this past weekend. Google Play Music can't keep on device or stream with "Download via Wi-Fi only" and/or "Stream via Wi-Fi only" checked in settings. I hope it's not draining my data

Sent from my HTC One_M8

I've discussed that issue with some German M8 users (all on T-Mobile Germany) and it appears to be limited to some Google Apps and to HTC Backup. However one user did reach out to T-Mobile and they're basically just stated, that they're currently looking into that without providing any sort of timeframe within to expect an fix for this. Downgrading the firmware fixes the problem, so T-Mobile must be the ones to blame ... very frustrating.

holychain

Aug 7, 2010
Bonn
Hi there,

did anyone solve this issue yet? There is a few of us with an M7 that have exact same issues. I am in UK, so may not be carrier related.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2759800

Hey,

Thanks for pointing that out. Wasn't aware, that this issue affects the M7 too. Unfortunately, I'm really stuck at the moment as everybody involved is pointing fingers at each others. HTC tells me, that T-Mobile messed up ... T-Mobile at least confirmed, that there might be an error. Right now I'm trying to get my M8 replaced, as somebody did break some functionality of my device. A German M8 user pointed out, that the WLAN App from Amped Wireless can be used to confirm the error, as it is not able to detect an established WLAN connection (like some of the Google apps).

However, no solutions :(

nigelholderby

May 27, 2014
Hey everybody,

Having an odd issue with my brand new M8, which is completely stock. Few days ago I've received an firmware update (1.57.111.2 / German T-Mobile CID) for my handset. Since that update I'm not able to use Google Play Music while connected to my wlan network. It seems like, that Play Music is not able to recognize my fully functional connection and therefore refuses to download and/or stream music.

All other apps (including Spotify) are able to use my wlan connection without any problems.

Turning wlan off helps to correct that error, but that workaround burns away my included traffic ;)

Here's what I tried without success:

1. Did a factory reset
2. Deleted all wlan connections and reconfigured them
3. Cleared Play Music's caches
4. Contacted HTC (recommended the factory reset) as well as my provider (didn't have a clue)
5. Checked the number of eligible devices with Google (currently 3 out of 10)

Now I'm a bit puzzled on how to solve this issue and wanted to ask, if anybody did experience (and maybe solved) this issue.

Best,
Marc

I'm really glad to have happened upon this thread, as I'm having the exact same issue on an AT&T M8 that I just purchased a couple of days ago. I updated with the new "extreme power mode" firmware, but now I can't pin music from Google Play at all. Similar explanation and attempted fixes as holychain.

pbeltrami

Jun 20, 2006
I am having the same issue in Google Music. Also Google+ Fotos has the same Problem: The autosync does not recognize the wifi connection.

HTC One M8 T-mobile Germany- latest firmware 1.57.111. 2.

dankerschen

Sep 1, 2009
As posted on the other thread:

Guys, I found the solution to this. I am now on ARHD 71.1 with all the google apps working.

Such a simple fix (well for me) - when the phone connects to your wifi at setup, it automatically sets it as a mobile hotspot and restricts background data. It's just a tick box - go here: settings / More (under wireless & networks) / data usage / click the 3 dots top right and select mobile hotspots then untick your wifi network.

Post back if it works for you. I will post on the main ARHD thread as well as it might be something Mike was unaware off.

:laugh:

I still had to reboot and clear data from the app, but this is working for me. Unfortunately, Play Music is extremely slow to download music right now for me...:laugh:

Reactions: OGhoul

OGhoul

Apr 17, 2013
Pittsburgh

I still had to reboot and clear data from the app, but this is working for me. Unfortunately, Play Music is extremely slow to download music right now for me...:laugh:

Oh thank god I found this thread. This fixed the issue for me, as well as fixing Google photos, and Flickr auto upload. I was almost beginning to regret ditching my 5S for the M8 if the whole reason for me finally switching was due to Google Music being more reliable than iTunes Match.

Whomever set that as default is a jerk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Guys, I found the solution to this. I am now on ARHD 71.1 with all the google apps working.

Such a simple fix (well for me) - when the phone connects to your wifi at setup, it automatically sets it as a mobile hotspot and restricts background data. It's just a tick box - go here: settings / More (under wireless & networks) / data usage / click the 3 dots top right and select mobile hotspots then untick your wifi network.

Post back if it works for you. I will post on the main ARHD thread as well as it might be something Mike was unaware off.

:laugh: