SOLVED: URGENT HELP How To Make a Nandroid Backup from ADB Shell Command Line

Search This thread

danividalg

Dec 23, 2010
Hi all,

I have a urgent question.
First of all thanks to everyone who reply to me.

Unfortunately I dropped my S3 to the floor and broke the screen.
Now I can't see anything and do not respond to touch.

I can change it for a new one on repair but I can't loose all my data and configs.

I want to make a nandroid backup but I can't see anything in the screen.

Perhaps someone could tell me how can I lauch the script for a full nandroid backup from the adb shell command line.

Or perhaps someone could guide me using the up/down volume buttons and the home or power buttons, but this is less reliable because options can change in quantity or order. I have a Galaxy S3 with recovery philz_touch_6.15.4-i9300

I have searched about "adb backup" and found about the adb backup command but this can not work for me because when I use the command it is supposed that a confirmation screen is opened and I have to "click" on something like a "permit backup" button, but I have my screen broken so I can not see anything (all is black) and touch do not work either.

Someone told me to enter recovery mode and then use this adb backup command but it only creates a cero bytes backup file and do anything more.

Someone told me to use "adb pull /data/*" but when I enter recovery mode and run adb shell, the /data/ folder is empty, I suppose that it is not mounted by default. Same for /system/ folder
How can I mount it in rw?

Another way: I have an automatic backup with titanium scheduled for next Sunday at 02:00
I have tried from adb shell to change date and time but got an error, gloogled it without solution

Command:
date -s 201403160150
Output:
__bionic_open_tzdata: couldn't find any tzdata when looking for localtime!
__bionic_open_tzdata: couldn't find any tzdata when looking for GMT!
__bionic_open_tzdata: couldn't find any tzdata when looking for posixrules!
date: can't set date: Unknown error -38
Sun Mar 16 01:50:00 GMT 2014

Any idea?

What I only can do is to connect via adb in recovery mode, (normal boot does not work adb, shows the device as offline, probably because need interaction to permit adb or anything else that now I can not do) and reboot in recovery or download mode.

I need to run the backup script to external sd via adb command as if I was in recovery and "click" on the backup to external sd option in recovery.
Or perhaps with a windows utility that can do a nandroid backup...
Is there any utility or something that can do a nandroid backup from adb or from download mode?

I will be very grateful to anyone who can help me.

Thanks in advance and best regards :)

SOLUTION:
Ok, it's solved

I got OnAndroid from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1620255
Downloaded too the patch file from here https://github.com/ameer1234567890/OnlineNandroid/wiki/Supported-Devices

- Reboot into recovery
- adb shell
- mount /system
- mount /data
- mkdir /storage/sdcard1
- mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /storage/sdcard1
- exit
- copy onandroid to where adb.exe is (platform-tools folder)
- adb pull onandroid /system/bin
- copy partlayout4nandroid to where adb.exe is (platform-tools folder)
- adb pull partlayout4nandroid /system
- adb shell
- onandroid -c S3Backup1

This will make a complete nandroid backup to /storage/sdcard1/clockworkmod/backup/S3Backup1

Then, when I receibe the new S3 I simply install recovery and restore the backup :D

Thanks all for your help

Last edited:

danividalg

Dec 23, 2010
Ok, I think it's solved :D

I will confirm it tomorrow, when I receive my new S3

By the way, I got OnAndroid from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1620255
Downloaded too the patch file from here https://github.com/ameer1234567890/OnlineNandroid/wiki/Supported-Devices

- Reboot into recovery
- adb shell
- mount /system
- mount /data
- mkdir /storage/sdcard1
- mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /storage/sdcard1
- exit
- copy onandroid to where adb.exe is (platform-tools folder)
- adb pull onandroid /system/bin
- copy partlayout4nandroid to where adb.exe is (platform-tools folder)
- adb pull partlayout4nandroid /system
- adb shell
- onandroid -c S3Backup1

This will make a complete nandroid backup to /storage/sdcard1/clockworkmod/backup/S3Backup1

Tomorrow I will try to restore this nandroid backup to my new phone and test if all is ok.

Thanks all for your help :)

danividalg

Dec 23, 2010
Ok, confirmed, it works! XD

Edit the first post to give explanations of how to solve it.

Thanks all.

Top Liked Posts