Helpful thread! (BOOTLOADER LOCK/UNLOCK/ROOT/UNROOT/CLOCKWORKMOD on HTC SENSATION XL)

Was this thread supportive?

• Yes, thank you! (say thanks ^^)

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Could be better, I will post how!

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • NO

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

lameazz

Jan 20, 2009
Maribor
Great work man for making a thread with all of these informations.
I think many of us were searching for something like this.
A very helpful thread for al beginers.
Many thanks man! :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using XDA

Reactions: F4LLCON

shingers5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Can I ask what was wrong with the guides already present and vertigo guide has all info needed. I welcome any attempt to simplify things but do we really need another thread like this. There is no lack of info on the XL as all that is needed is here. Many many people before have found all they needed so really don't understand. You seem to show a total lack of respect for all the good work that have gone on before you got here. If the guides here were not to your liking I am sure we could have updated. You come into a forum and open a thread at least acknowledge the efforts of others that were here before you. Alot of time and effort was spent getting things here off the ground and to disregard the recognised efforts here as you quite blatantly are is rude and bad form.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using xda premium

Last edited:

MadCobbler

Inactive Recognized Contributor / Themer
Jun 27, 2009
Sheffield
Can I ask what was wrong with the guides already present and vertigo guide has all info needed. I welcome any attempt to simplify things but do we really need another thread like this. There is no lack of info on the XL as all that is needed is here. Many many people before have found all they needed so really don't understand. You seem to show a total lack of respect for all the good work that have gone on before you got here. If the guides here were not to your liking I am sure we could have updated. You come into a forum and open a thread at least acknowledge the efforts of others that were here before you. Alot of time and effort was spent getting things here off the ground and to disregard the recognised efforts here as you quite blatantly are is rude and bad form.

+1 I totally agree. All the information is available in mine and shingers tutorials and you've not linked or acknowledged them at all.

F

F4LLCON

First of all, I made this guide because someone requested it. I also linked a lot of good working threads so I don't get why you think I am rude. I just put everything a noob needs in one guide with links to working guides so they don'T need to puzzle around a lot. Because I found it hard to find everything I needed.

I'm thankful to all the threads I have linked in this thread. AND I am not taking credit for the things I have linked. As I mentioned, the is no guide especially made for the Sensation XL for some things, and this guide I made is more based on that part and sharing the eu rom that is hard to find due to download rdstrictions.

So pardon me if I did not thanked the entire XDA.

In one of the linked guides they mention that they could make that guide thanks to vertigo, so that's good.

And again, I could not easily find everythin I needed and therefore I desided to share my experiance sfter getting a request to show the steps for noobs

F4LLCON

F

F4LLCON

+1 I totally agree. All the information is available in mine and shingers tutorials and you've not linked or acknowledged them at all.

Sorry for noy mentioning you in my thread as I haveread your thread and yes I see that you had most of these. But I find it still a little bit out of order. And I saw that you did not mention ICZ and as I said it was a request of a user to make this. It's in order and everything they need step by step. Your thread is good but to much text in my opinion. I have added one or two things in this one. Btw lots of your text is the same as text I have read in other guides and I did not see you mention them all. It might be that they copy paste it from you, I don't know.

But I am not trying to be rude or not mention related post, why would I not. I will add your guide at the top of this my yhread so users can deside for themselfs which one they need. :)

MadCobbler

Inactive Recognized Contributor / Themer
Jun 27, 2009
Sheffield
First of all, I made this guide because someone requested it. I also linked a lot of good working threads so I don't get why you think I am rude. I just put everything a noob needs in one guide with links to working guides so they don'T need to puzzle around a lot. Because I found it hard to find everything I needed.

I'm thankful to all the threads I have linked in this thread. AND I am not taking credit for the things I have linked. As I mentioned, the is no guide especially made for the Sensation XL for some things, and this guide I made is more based on that part and sharing the eu rom that is hard to find due to download rdstrictions.

So pardon me if I did not thanked the entire XDA.

In one of the linked guides they mention that they could make that guide thanks to vertigo, so that's good.

And again, I could not easily find everythin I needed and therefore I desided to share my experiance sfter getting a request to show the steps for noobs

F4LLCON

I think the problem is that you're just repeating everything that is in mine and shingers guides already.... :D

I have mentioned the people who I needed to in my thread, basically shingers5 as he was the one who has done all the hard work and they are the only threads i copied from... and no its not out of order, its in the right order, with the exact steps you need to take to get a custom rom working, guaranteed!! The reason there is so much text is that I've tried to explain it as clearly as possible.

Anyway I'm not getting into an arguement about this, I've said what I needed too...

Last edited:
F

F4LLCON

I think the problem is that you're just repeating everything that is in mine and shingers guides already.... :D

To be honest, some of the guides that are mentioned are not clear in my opinion. I shared guides that were really easy.
Pretty late got to get up early, goodnight

gunaiden

Sep 29, 2011
I support this thread and encourages all work in this direction, I am against the monopoly of information, in any case, we are in a forum and everyone, or Each one stands to gain.
And I think this thread is the best and easiest I've read since I read more and more I discover new things, and eventually it has to choose what method I follow.
every time I have a question, why I have not managed to flash phone when he was unroot, and now it is rooted I can not have a flash with Ruu?
that's why I'm asking you to write this thread because I saw that many people can not flash with Ruu

shingers5

To be honest, some of the guides that are mentioned are not clear in my opinion. I shared guides that were really easy.
Pretty late got to get up early, goodnight

Once again your lack of respect astounds me. Nothing I did here was in aid for gratitude or fame. I had an XL when only a few had it and there was nothing at all. I mean **** all. I put my device on the line to find all the things I posted. The sites you linked too got the info from here. Why not make a guide in simple terms as you said but with links to xda? I have done my best to help everyone by replying promptly and even on pm. You act like there was nothing here at all and yours is the 1st thread to be posted with such info. Its bad form mate as the info here has helped many many people. Simplify things yes and bring it all together and simpler hell yes but discredit all my hard work and effort as blatantly as you do is bad form. Don't care if I get mentioned or not but do not try to discredit my contribution to this device

shingers5

HTC SENSATION XL
Special thanks to Vertigo :D
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1466436Vertigo's guide
Vertigo's guide provides most or even all of this guide, I made this guide because it got requested and I mostly made it for sharing the RUU.exe EU and to put everything in order in my opinion.
UNLOCK BOOT LOADER / LOCK BOOT LOADER / ROOT / UNROOT / INSTALL CLOCKWORKMOD / TAKE BACKUP OF YOUR DEVICE WITH CWM / INSTALL ICE COLD ZOMBIE / RECOVER YOUR PREVIOUS ROM YOU HAD BACKED UP / INSTALL STOCK ROM​

Some of these will just have a link to the proper thread, because the tutorials they provide helped me out and are perfect. I don't need to redo them.

So, let the game begin

I have the HTC Sensation XL!
I have searched and searched all over the internet and found some ways to do unlock and relock bootloader, root and unroot, and even found the RUU.exe for Europe and downloaded it before the sharing site locked EVERY shared files due to the activities of the internet restrictions.

So I am going to write all the steps for the HTC Sensation XL in ONE thread, because there is just not enough information that you can find easily for the HTC Sensation XL.

STEP ONE: UNLOCK BOOT LOADER
First of all, let's unlock your boot loader, this step is pretty easy because the website that provides you the unlock code also provides the steps you need to unlock your boot loader, after this re locking is even more simpler.

Just go to HTCDEV boot loader and follow the steps there to unlock your boot loader.

***WARRANTY issues if you do this step and any other step from here*** but you can re lock your boot loader and unroot your device to use your WARRANTY again.

STEP 2: LOCKING BOOT LOADER
You need ADB so follow these steps HERE
To lock your boot loader you definitely need to have a proper connection between your device and computer.
To re lock your boot loader you need to:
1. Turn off your phone
2. Take out your battery and put it back in
3. hold your volume down button and press the power button. (KEEP HOLDING YOUR VOLUME DOWN BUTTON) You will see a white screen with fastboot written on it.
4. Navigate with your volume up or down to fastboot and press the power button to select it.
5. Connect your device with your computer, you will see 'fastboot USB ....'
6. open the terminal in your computer and type in 'adb devices', you probably will see an empty list, no devices. Just follow step 7
7. type in 'fastboot oem lock' without quotes and your device is locked again, you will see relocked - you might see a warning under it but that's nothing, after rebooting the warning will go away.
8. I don't know why you can't see any devices connected when in fastboot USB mode but if you start up your phone and redo step 6. you will see your device.

STEP 3: UNROOT YOUR DEVICE
To unroot your device you will need to relock your boot loader. Follow STEP 2: LOCKING BOOT LOADER first
1. Download YOUR proper RUU.exe
Mine was:
RUU_Runnymede_HTC_Europe++_1.05.401.4_R2_Radio_20. 5101.30.0822_3822.10.10.12_M_release_223366_signed
LINK DIRECT DOWNLOAD
2. open RUU.exe and follow the onscreen steps to unroot your device and install stock rom.

STEP 4: INSTALL CLOCKWORKMOD
REMEMBER TO ALWAYS TAKE BACKUP FIRST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ON YOUR DEVICE
you can take backups with CLOCKWORKMOD of your device, just do that so you can restore your device if you don't like other roms or need a recovery :)

Requirements:

1. An HTC Sensation XL with an unlocked bootloader. You can do that via the HTCDEV website.
2. ADB installed on your system. See our guide on what is ADB and how to install it.
3. CWM based recovery for Sensation XL.

HERE
*** I JUST USED THE ABOVE 3 STEPS ON HIS TUTORIAL ***

But you can use whatever you like
Here are two other pages which provide steps to install ClockWorkMod
HERE
and HERE

Remember that the magnifying glass on your HTC S.XL is used as ENTER/SELECT in CWM

STEP 5: INSTALL ICE COLD SANDWICH
Awesome thread here about the ICE COLD SANDWICH
Go to the 'How to install' part on his thread.

STEP 6: BACKUP OR RESTORE YOUR PREVIOUS ROM
Other threads
HERE
and HERE
these steps are the same on HTC Sensation XL as far as I know
To recover your previous rom on your device you just need to go where you also backed up your device and hit on recover and select the recovered rom. This all can be found if you
1. Turn off device
2. Take out battery and put it back in
3. Hold volume down and press on power
4. Use volume down to slide to recovery and press on power to select it
5. There you can find CWM recovery where you can backup or restore your device
( WHEN YOU SELECT BACKUP OR RESTORE YOUR DEVICES ACTS LIKE IT'S STUCK, DON'T BE FOOLED. IT IS DOING IT'S JOB, JUST BE PATIENCE )

STEP 7: PERFECT ROOT TUTORIAL ON YOUTUBE
I have used this one, it's really amazing and fast
HERE
***NOT MADE OR UPLOADED BY ME*** My Youtube account is ShaneNL69

OK, if you guys think there is missing something or something needs to be changed or whatever tell me :) I'd be glad to improve

I made this thread because when I wanted to root unroot etc it was pretty hard to find everything.

GOT NEW LINKS FOR RUU.exe roms ? Please share because the other threads with links to stock roms are outdated or you need to be premium member to download.

THE STEPS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOT IN PROPER ORDER, JUST USE THE ONES YOU NEED :)

F4LLCON

Jesus christ! Grow up my god. Sometimes I hate xda. In most forums threads with similar info gets closed down. However I saw that your intention was good but you went about it the wrong way. When you enter anywhere you acknowledge those you were in there before you then proceed. Its not only good manners but good form. Hope you edit your first post to include what you had before with xda links. Good thread just bad links

Last edited:

shingers5

I support this thread and encourages all work in this direction, I am against the monopoly of information, in any case, we are in a forum and everyone, or Each one stands to gain.
And I think this thread is the best and easiest I've read since I read more and more I discover new things, and eventually it has to choose what method I follow.
every time I have a question, why I have not managed to flash phone when he was unroot, and now it is rooted I can not have a flash with Ruu?
that's why I'm asking you to write this thread because I saw that many people can not flash with Ruu

Do not tell fibs as I have posted over and over again in reply to many questions how to flash ruu after relocking bootloader. If you choose incorrect ruu file foe your device it won't flash. I also like the content of the thread but it linked to outside sources who all got their info from stuff already here. Why not link to stuff here as apart from you mate many have used and been successful in doing so

F

F4LLCON

Once again your lack of respect astounds me. Nothing I did here was in aid for gratitude or fame. I had an XL when only a few had it and there was nothing at all. I mean **** all. I put my device on the line to find all the things I posted. The sites you linked too got the info from here. Why not make a guide in simple terms as you said but with links to xda? I have done my best to help everyone by replying promptly and even on pm. You act like there was nothing here at all and yours is the 1st thread to be posted with such info. Its bad form mate as the info here has helped many many people. Simplify things yes and bring it all together and simpler hell yes but discredit all my hard work and effort as blatantly as you do is bad form. Don't care if I get mentioned or not but do not try to discredit my contribution to this device

I had my xl on release date.
Look here pal, for example if you write russian and someone else writes it in english and again someone else writes it in plain english so noobs can understand, I will firstly link yhr plain english ofcourse, because I don't see the point to post all the links. And I don't know all the origins and my thread is simply to have all the guides that helped me out. So stop whining about no respect and being rude if it's not about being the populair one. I mentioned that I was sorry for not mentioning someone but you keep going. This is a forum and I like to share my experience period.

F

F4LLCON

Why not link to stuff here as apart from you mate many have used and been successful in doing so

BECAUSE I FIND THE GUIDES I HAVE LINKED BETTER EXPLAINED. you are working on my nerfes now

F

F4LLCON

Jesus christ! Grow up my god. Sometimes I hate xda. In most forums threads with similar info gets closed down. However I saw that your intention was good but you went about it the wrong way. When you enter anywhere you acknowledge those you were in there before you then proceed. Its not only good manners but good form. Hope you edit your first post to include what you had before with xda links. Good thread just bad links

Listen here, there are no bad links because linking other than XDA is alowed. I am not going to change the links because of your monopoly acts. I FIND THOSE GUIDEZ BETTER EXPLAINED and if I want to share those you should not block it. Even if you were the first with that information, that does not matter to me because I am sharing MY OWN EXPERIANCE. So let people deside for them selfs whiv one they want to read and use and stop telling people which guide they need to link in their thread. It's a forum and I find my thread easy short and powerful.

Whay the use of it if I would link your post?? Than it would become the same old confusing long post. I only share the guides that worked for me.

gunaiden

Sep 29, 2011
[/COLOR]
Do not tell fibs as I have posted over and over again in reply to many questions how to flash ruu after relocking bootloader. If you choose incorrect ruu file foe your device it won't flash. I also like the content of the thread but it linked to outside sources who all got their info from stuff already here. Why not link to stuff here as apart from you mate many have used and been successful in doing so

Well I think if you want the forum works as you want, we must establish rules, and if you want xda guard its independence from the other site must all admit that even we often lack the material, I give you an example: I wanted to flash a Ruu europe, but I have not managed to find a link that works.
and if you say you have already explained the method to pass a Ruu sorry but this is not enough for me, I need to know the exact reasons why I can not flash my phone as I want.
this is how you learn and that's how we advance.
friendly

benjamin.j.goodwin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 28, 2011
Northampton
Google Pixel 4 XL
[/COLOR]

Well I think if you want the forum works as you want, we must establish rules, and if you want xda guard its independence from the other site must all admit that even we often lack the material, I give you an example: I wanted to flash a Ruu europe, but I have not managed to find a link that works.
and if you say you have already explained the method to pass a Ruu sorry but this is not enough for me, I need to know the exact reasons why I can not flash my phone as I want.
this is how you learn and that's how we advance.
friendly

Then search it. There are guides all over xda and the net with the codes for RUU fails. Or post a question.

Really what should have happened here is some one to ask shingers5 and/or vertigo to update their threads if this was needed. I have to agree and think that in order for anyone to have rooted there phone and put a custom ROM on it that you would have had to follow shingers5 and vertigo's guides at least.

Show a little respect and show credit where it is due. You have even admitted that this is just a simplified version of vertigos work.

Other than that I think that what you attempted to do here was good, perhaps just not approached in the correct way.

My tupence added.

Last edited:

spydermahn

Dec 11, 2011
HTC SENSATION XL

STEP ONE: UNLOCK BOOT LOADER
First of all, let's unlock your boot loader, this step is pretty easy because the website that provides you the unlock code also provides the steps you need to unlock your boot loader, after this re locking is even more simpler.

Just go to HTCDEV boot loader and follow the steps there to unlock your boot loader.

***WARRANTY issues if you do this step and any other step from here*** but you can re lock your boot loader and unroot your device to use your WARRANTY again.

STEP 2: LOCKING BOOT LOADER
You need ADB so follow these steps HERE
To lock your boot loader you definitely need to have a proper connection between your device and computer.
To re lock your boot loader you need to:
1. Turn off your phone
2. Take out your battery and put it back in
3. hold your volume down button and press the power button. (KEEP HOLDING YOUR VOLUME DOWN BUTTON) You will see a white screen with fastboot written on it.
4. Navigate with your volume up or down to fastboot and press the power button to select it.
5. Connect your device with your computer, you will see 'fastboot USB ....'
6. open the terminal in your computer and type in 'adb devices', you probably will see an empty list, no devices. Just follow step 7
7. type in 'fastboot oem lock' without quotes and your device is locked again, you will see relocked - you might see a warning under it but that's nothing, after rebooting the warning will go away.
8. I don't know why you can't see any devices connected when in fastboot USB mode but if you start up your phone and redo step 6. you will see your device.

STEP 3: UNROOT YOUR DEVICE
To unroot your device you will need to relock your boot loader. Follow STEP 2: LOCKING BOOT LOADER first
1. Download YOUR proper RUU.exe
Mine was:
RUU_Runnymede_HTC_Europe++_1.05.401.4_R2_Radio_20. 5101.30.0822_3822.10.10.12_M_release_223366_signed
LINK DIRECT DOWNLOAD
2. open RUU.exe and follow the onscreen steps to unroot your device and install stock rom.

STEP 4: INSTALL CLOCKWORKMOD
REMEMBER TO ALWAYS TAKE BACKUP FIRST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ON YOUR DEVICE
you can take backups with CLOCKWORKMOD of your device, just do that so you can restore your device if you don't like other roms or need a recovery :)

Requirements:

1. An HTC Sensation XL with an unlocked bootloader. You can do that via the HTCDEV website.
2. ADB installed on your system. See our guide on what is ADB and how to install it.
3. CWM based recovery for Sensation XL.

HERE
*** I JUST USED THE ABOVE 3 STEPS ON HIS TUTORIAL ***

But you can use whatever you like
Here are two other pages which provide steps to install ClockWorkMod
HERE
and HERE

Remember that the magnifying glass on your HTC S.XL is used as ENTER/SELECT in CWM

STEP 5: INSTALL ICE COLD SANDWICH
Awesome thread here about the ICE COLD SANDWICH
Go to the 'How to install' part on his thread.

STEP 6: BACKUP OR RESTORE YOUR PREVIOUS ROM
Other threads
HERE
and HERE
these steps are the same on HTC Sensation XL as far as I know
To recover your previous rom on your device you just need to go where you also backed up your device and hit on recover and select the recovered rom. This all can be found if you
1. Turn off device
2. Take out battery and put it back in
3. Hold volume down and press on power
4. Use volume down to slide to recovery and press on power to select it
5. There you can find CWM recovery where you can backup or restore your device
( WHEN YOU SELECT BACKUP OR RESTORE YOUR DEVICES ACTS LIKE IT'S STUCK, DON'T BE FOOLED. IT IS DOING IT'S JOB, JUST BE PATIENCE )

STEP 7: PERFECT ROOT TUTORIAL ON YOUTUBE
I have used this one, it's really amazing and fast
HERE
***NOT MADE OR UPLOADED BY ME*** My Youtube account is ShaneNL69

OK, if you guys think there is missing something or something needs to be changed or whatever tell me :) I'd be glad to improve

I made this thread because when I wanted to root unroot etc it was pretty hard to find everything.

GOT NEW LINKS FOR RUU.exe roms ? Please share because the other threads with links to stock roms are outdated or you need to be premium member to download.

THE STEPS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOT IN PROPER ORDER, JUST USE THE ONES YOU NEED :)

F4LLCON

How is a "guide" simple and easy, if the steps are not in the correct order?

I have just "become a noob" and

have unlocked and relocked my b00tl0ader,
tried to flash Ice Cold Sandwich but it wouldnt,
then backed up my rom and tried to flash my backup,
but none of this happened as i got error codes,
so i then tried the "perfect" root tutorial on youtube.....
but couldnt get root....

So i threw my phone in the bin :(

and then set the bin on fire with some petrol which i had to queue up for... Stupid Petrol strike....

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

.............. i nearly forgot.... i didnt try installing the Draw Something app.... Maybe this is where i went wrong?

Reactions: MadCobbler
F

F4LLCON

How is a "guide" simple and easy, if the steps are not in the correct order?

I have just "become a noob" and

have unlocked and relocked my b00tl0ader,
tried to flash Ice Cold Sandwich but it wouldnt,
then backed up my rom and tried to flash my backup,
but none of this happened as i got error codes,
so i then tried the "perfect" root tutorial on youtube.....
but couldnt get root....

So i threw my phone in the bin :(

and then set the bin on fire with some petrol which i had to queue up for... Stupid Petrol strike....

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

.............. i nearly forgot.... i didnt try installing the Draw Something app.... Maybe this is where i went wrong?

How funny I lol'd will edit the steps

F

F4LLCON

benjamin.j.goodwin, shingers5, [vertigo]

I have updated my thread, hope it's ok now :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    F
    F4LLCON
    [deleted]

[deleted]

@all smoke a peace pipe.. and cool down / relaxe

Great work man for making a thread with all of these informations.
    I think many of us were searching for something like this.
    A very helpful thread for al beginers.
    Many thanks man! :thumbup:

Nice easy tutt! Good job!

A little outdated but does the trick :)