Wifi problem with Viper Rom

Search This thread

cincincy

Dec 9, 2012
I have reinstalled the rom several times using default settings. Wifi will not turn on. Wifi works fine with Stock DNA debloat Rom. 3g/4g works fine on Viper Rom..
I am sure this is something unique with my particular phone' Any suggestions?

I am prob considered a noob. But can read and follow direction.

Thanks for any help

letschky

I have reinstalled the rom several times using default settings. Wifi will not turn on. Wifi works fine with Stock DNA debloat Rom. 3g/4g works fine on Viper Rom..
I am sure this is something unique with my particular phone' Any suggestions?

I am prob considered a noob. But can read and follow direction.

Thanks for any help

have you flashed a different kernel (Boot.img), then you should use the flash is included in the rom

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla
and you have to flash the kernel "modules" to get wifi to work

Right. The boot.img is not the important part. If you want a different kernel, then flash the boot.img for that kernel. You only need to do this once. BUT! When you flash new roms, you need to reflash the wifi modules for "EACH" kernel, everytime you flash a new rom. So, save the wifi modules on your phone somewhere, and when you flash a new rom, just flash the modules again after the rom finishes before rebooting system.

rootntootn

Dec 28, 2011
Right. The boot.img is not the important part. If you want a different kernel, then flash the boot.img for that kernel. You only need to do this once. BUT! When you flash new roms, you need to reflash the wifi modules for "EACH" kernel, everytime you flash a new rom. So, save the wifi modules on your phone somewhere, and when you flash a new rom, just flash the modules again after the rom finishes before rebooting system.

Perhaps true but flashing the boot image if you have not done so worked...at least it did for me.

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla
Perhaps true but flashing the boot image if you have not done so worked...at least it did for me.

So root, you are saying that the ops need to make it clear to flash the selected kernel (boot.img) before flashing the rom? I'm under the impression that most have already selected a kernel and flashed that before flashing the rom. Sorry if I assumed wrong.

Bigandrewgold

Mar 26, 2011
So root, you are saying that the ops need to make it clear to flash the selected kernel (boot.img) before flashing the rom? I'm under the impression that most have already selected a kernel and flashed that before flashing the rom. Sorry if I assumed wrong.

Most roms have a kernel included in it. And if it hasn't been updated since s off came out then you will need to flash the boot.img in the thread to get everything working.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

rootntootn

Dec 28, 2011
Most roms have a kernel included in it. And if it hasn't been updated since s off came out then you will need to flash the boot.img in the thread to get everything working.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

This is what I understand to be correct and what has worked a few times for me. S-off was supposed to eliminate this but not if the rom was written before that process was available or not specifically updated after-which is most of them at this point.

drumz0rz

Mar 22, 2011
To echo the above (for future searches). If you have WiFi problems reflash the kernel and they should go away. This worked for me (and others obviously). The ROM does include the kernel but for whatever reason I just had to reflash it. The kernel can be found in the ROM's thread (separate file).