Battery discharge while on charger

Search This thread

Justyn86

Aug 23, 2013
ks
Using CM11 snapshot january update

I woke up late last night to see my phone still with the yellow charging light on while it was on the charger. i found that odd since it had been on the charger for almost 4 hours. i went to bed with it at 75% and when i went to the battery page it was at 50%. wierd thing is the graph says "3hr and 50 min on battery" but the line graph shows that its is, in fact, charging. another thing ive noticed is that the wifi line graph is solid, im not 100% sure its supposed to be intermittent, i.e. phone is sleeping and what not.

once i noticed that it was still discharging i looked at running apps, nothing outside what anyone else would have running at the end of the night. after i cleared the running apps it started charging again.

i know that i may have answered my own question at the end of the second paragraph but chargers put out more power than a phone can consume while being dormant so im trying to isolate a handful of things.

1. is the wifi line graph supposed to be solid all the time? (I didnt think so but)
2. is the rom im using (cm11 snapshot current update) on an outdated kernel?
3. whatever else that can brainstormed

and before i get a but of wrong forum reply's, i dont have a choice i need my 10 reply's to get this into the correct forum..... unless admin moves it into a developer forum....eh...eh?

thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Justyn86

Aug 23, 2013
ks
Using CM11 snapshot january update

I woke up late last night to see my phone still with the yellow charging light on while it was on the charger. i found that odd since it had been on the charger for almost 4 hours. i went to bed with it at 75% and when i went to the battery page it was at 50%. wierd thing is the graph says "3hr and 50 min on battery" but the line graph shows that its is, in fact, charging. another thing ive noticed is that the wifi line graph is solid, im not 100% sure its supposed to be intermittent, i.e. phone is sleeping and what not.

once i noticed that it was still discharging i looked at running apps, nothing outside what anyone else would have running at the end of the night. after i cleared the running apps it started charging again.

i know that i may have answered my own question at the end of the second paragraph but chargers put out more power than a phone can consume while being dormant so im trying to isolate a handful of things.

1. is the wifi line graph supposed to be solid all the time? (I didnt think so but)
2. is the rom im using (cm11 snapshot current update) on an outdated kernel?
3. whatever else that can brainstormed

and before i get a but of wrong forum reply's, i dont have a choice i need my 10 reply's to get this into the correct forum..... unless admin moves it into a developer forum....eh...eh?

thanks for any help you guys can provide.

forgot..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-17-06-32-21.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-17-06-32-21.png
    191.1 KB · Views: 72

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
solid wifi line.. go to the phones main settings, wifi, wifi settings(3 dots bottom right), advanced, disable scanning always available.

cm uses cm kernel. outdated is when a kernel is no longer good, a lower kernel number doesnt mean anything.

and this kind of post have no business being in development, no mod would ever even consider moving it there. development is for development, not questions that are very basic. you actually got the right forum.

Last edited:

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
Weird. As Sims said turn wifi scanning to off.

It could be a nightly issue with CM at the current moment, check there.

PS: There are other ROMs than just buying a phone and throwing cyanogen mod on it.

Justyn86

Aug 23, 2013
ks
Good deal. Thanks guys.

I know I could put any ROM on a phone I used to have an s4 and did several ROMs with that. Then I had to send it in and they gave me one that was mf3 and I was just tired of jumping through hoops. But I put cm on mine because I getting away from full service and using strictly Google voice on a data only plan for cheaper service (Att is the best service overall where i am but their no contract sucks), and cm, so far, is the only one that has voice plus to integrate gv SMS into you native SMS app. That's my big thing. But if there's other ROMs at utilize voice+ I'm open to them.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
I'm going to be of no help to you, but just to let you know, this is the correct forum. Nothing except something that you developed goes in development. Nothing. Questions and all other random things go in either Q&A or General. ;)

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
I don't see you mention which charger you used. Wired? Stock charger and cable? The WiFi bar will be solid over night with your WiFi on and never intermittent.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Justyn86

Aug 23, 2013
ks
Yea after I was told to look at the WiFi settings, I changed some settings. But yes Its wired. I played around with the cable and it wiggles a bit but I didn't notice it disconnecting but I'll do More investigating on that front over the next few days.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Yea after I was told to look at the WiFi settings, I changed some settings. But yes Its wired. I played around with the cable and it wiggles a bit but I didn't notice it disconnecting but I'll do More investigating on that front over the next few days.

Wiggle won't effect charge speed. Using a different adapter or cable then what came with your phone will effect charging speed however as well as the phone's current draw.

Justyn86

Aug 23, 2013
ks
Well yea right. What I meant to say was that I may not be getting a solid connection, and if I had it sitting a certain way, it may not be charging at all, making appear as though the battery was draining "while charging" when it actually wasn't even charging. My biggest thing was that this is the first I've noticed it so. Maybe the cable is just crappy and is giving out. ( not the OE cable)

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Well yea right. What I meant to say was that I may not be getting a solid connection, and if I had it sitting a certain way, it may not be charging at all, making appear as though the battery was draining "while charging" when it actually wasn't even charging. My biggest thing was that this is the first I've noticed it so. Maybe the cable is just crappy and is giving out. ( not the OE cable)

Most likely it's just the cable then. You may be interested in the contents of this thread including a quick comparison video Bacon made.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2609087

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGYkt4CeYuk&feature=youtu.be

Justyn86

Aug 23, 2013
ks
Turns out a combo of things. One being the cable with now power output. And the other was just being a cheap cable and was fitting in the port loosely and not maintaining a connection all the time. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: bblzd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Turns out a combo of things. One being the cable with now power output. And the other was just being a cheap cable and was fitting in the port loosely and not maintaining a connection all the time. Thanks for the help.