South Korea says bloat were must be able to be deleted.

Search This thread

xs11e

Oct 5, 2010
Phoenix
Thought you guys would like to see this. Maybe the US can get on this. At least maybe the Samsung bloat were will able to be deleted in the future.

http://www.zdnet.com/south-korea-rules-pre-installed-phone-bloatware-must-be-deletable-7000025533/

No big deal, anyone who objects to bloat can ask about it, get directed to XDA Developers and learn how to root their phone and then remove unwanted apps.

I see bloatware removal as the main reason for rooting and, please note, I'll determine what's bloat on my phone, you'll determine that for your phone, we don't need some government regulation(s) determining that for us!

One solution I like, make it illegal to install ANYTHING on a phone that's available via Google play store, MSFT apps or whatever iPhones use. Let EVERY user decide what apps he/she/it wants and don't force ANYTHING on us!
NOTE: I see no reason manufacturers and carriers couldn't offer a package of recommended apps which could be downloaded and removed at the user's choice.

scryan

Oct 19, 2013
No big deal, anyone who objects to bloat can ask about it, get directed to XDA Developers and learn how to root their phone and then remove unwanted apps.

I see bloatware removal as the main reason for rooting and, please note, I'll determine what's bloat on my phone, you'll determine that for your phone, we don't need some government regulation(s) determining that for us!

One solution I like, make it illegal to install ANYTHING on a phone that's available via Google play store, MSFT apps or whatever iPhones use. Let EVERY user decide what apps he/she/it wants and don't force ANYTHING on us!
NOTE: I see no reason manufacturers and carriers couldn't offer a package of recommended apps which could be downloaded and removed at the user's choice.

Yeah but often times rooting has its risks, and may also cause warranty problems... Point to one subsidised phone that allows you to select root off, you can't so the official option to delete crap is MUCH better then waving your right to warranty and running some exploit a kid on the internet found. (obviously no offense, just trying to play devils advocate....)
There is also no guarantee that root will always be so easy, look at the bootloader stuff we are going through now.

You say
"we don't need some government regulation(s) determining that for us!"
You miss the point so completely its insane. The whole point is that right now, without exploiting flaws in software and hacking the phone (something my Mother couldn't really do, yes I know you only care about yourself but not everyone feels comfortable rooting a phone and the use of terminal commands and ADB should not be a requirement to delete NFL sunday ticket...) YOU DON"T GET TO CHOOSE, verizon does.

You say
"NOTE: I see no reason manufacturers and carriers couldn't offer a package of recommended apps which could be downloaded and removed at the user's choice"
There is one big reason right now. Because carriers can instead say **** you and take money from companies to keep you from deleting their app.
This is not about the government telling you what you have on your phone, its the government telling Verizon they cannot tell you what you have to have on your phone.

How do you follow the sentence about not having government intervention with this line
"make it illegal to install ANYTHING"
Who is going to make that illegal? This idea that you don't support is less intrusive then that and just says that bloatware needs to be standard software( removeable)

myfishbear

Nov 11, 2010
Northren NJ
blah blah blah blah blah blah government. blah blah blah blah blah blah Verizon blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah rights! blah blah blah blah blah blah politics blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah owns you! blah blah blah blah blah blah laws blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah Obama. blah blah blah blah blah blah patriot act blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah spying on you! blah blah blah blah blah blah rules and regulations blah blah blah blah

on another note
it would be nice to be able to not get tonnes of bloat bogging down my next phone

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts