Screen not assembled flush?

Search This thread

E30Nova

Oct 31, 2010
San Bernardino
Anyone else have a problem with the screen not being assembled correctly?

If I swipe down from the top left for notifications, it's smooth going from the metal to the glass. But if I swipe down from the top right to do the quick settings, there's a noticeable gap. Or not really gap, but the screen sits higher than the metal. Friggin annoying as hell, considering how much I go to the quick settings. This and the notification light not working are already making me reconsider buying this thing....

thiscooolguy

Apr 29, 2011
I had that issue and T-Mobile gave me a new one. :) Manufacturered 4/9. I've yet tried to S-OFF.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

aimfire72

Nov 26, 2010
San Jose
Anyone else have a problem with the screen not being assembled correctly?

If I swipe down from the top left for notifications, it's smooth going from the metal to the glass. But if I swipe down from the top right to do the quick settings, there's a noticeable gap. Or not really gap, but the screen sits higher than the metal. Friggin annoying as hell, considering how much I go to the quick settings. This and the notification light not working are already making me reconsider buying this thing....

I've returned two to T-Mobile for the same problem and a few other issues. The 3rd one I got is much better, still not 100%, but it's fine... At this early point in the game, I'm starting to think that you have to be super lucky to get one that is perfectly smooth and flush.

I have seen some people say that a screen protector will solve the problem or at least make it better, could always try that.

I know that with every first batch or so of a new device, there will be some duds... but man, seems more people than usual having issues related to build quality on this phone. It's an expensive device and HTC is marketing it as a "premium" device - if you're not happy with the build, by all means, go exchange it.

Last edited:

NICEGYPT

Dec 31, 2007
Grovetown
mine had the same problem. I did exchange it for a new one it's a little better. but now I know why samsung don't want to make a metal device.

E30Nova

Oct 31, 2010
San Bernardino
Wow, I wonder how many people have this problem...

Like @aimfire72 said, with this being touted as a premium device with the whole "zero gap" design, you'd expect it to be assembled a little better...:eek: I'll probably be taking it back to T-Mobile tomorrow and hopefully the one I get is better.

TriBeard

Feb 14, 2012
My speaker grills are maybe MAYBE a human hairs width higher than the screen. We wound up with 4 lines, and all got the m8, and some of the other ones have more noticeable differences in height, but none of the other people using them have said anything, and I don't think they really care. I think that's something we often lose sight of, is that for most people that's just something they don't even think of. Sure, it would be nice if it was perfect on every device, but as long as it's within tolerance and the grills aren't popping up like some people have had, most people won't probably notice or care.

In any case, compared to my M7, the height difference is MUCH improved. My screen was decently higher than the top speaker grill, and that annoyed me as I always felt it when I swiped down the notification bar, but I got used to it and with a screen protector it just blended in to that bump.