Zagg SmartBuds update [G2x compatible]

Search This thread

RhynosAndroid

Apr 29, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Ok, so here's an update [and more in depth review now that I've had them for a while] on my Zagg Smartbuds...

The short answer, I LOVE 'EM!

Now, for those w/larger attention spans, let's get into the dirt.
Let me start off by saying, I haven't found anything I don't like about them, well, the lack of a physical manual to explain how to operate it. Although, really, w/a single button and a volume slider, it didn't take to much to figure it out quickly:the slider is self explanatory and the button, well 1 click =pause/stop a quick double click=skip track.

Ok, bringing up the slider does bring up a minor annoyance, it is VERY sensitive! I've had it brush my shirt and either crank up or go silent a few times. AND a little movement goes a long way as well.

The main [only] music app I've been using since I rcvd my Smartbuds is the Google Music beta, just to get all my cards on the table. I bring this up because, if I pause the music from my earbuds for more than a few minutes, I can't restart it. The program shuts down, some sort of auto shut off that I can't find an option to disable. Off topic, but annoying none the less.

My favorite thing about these buds are the [line]sliders. There are 3, 1 below the volume slider 1 between the slider and the music control/mic and 1 below the ear buds. These are great because they allow you to create a loop to slip over your head so the weight of the cord isn't always pulling on the ear buds. Really nice for my job and for running.

The sound is crystal clear and the bass is solid. It's not going to shake your eyeballs, but for good quality bass, it's solid!

They also came w/multiple [5 total] ear buds to customize the fit. I know this is standard, but the most I ever got were w/my skullcandy's, and that was 3 total.

The cable is a pretty nice construct as well. They call it a tangle free cord and that's pretty accurate. There are multiple colors, meh, I guess I'mm happy, I went metal as opposed to black or [I think] red.

Now, these aren't advertised as water resistant. I was worried about issues due to sweat. I work outside in Oklahoma and we've already had a few triple digit days, so it's safe to say, I sweat like a whore in church. After about a month of usage, no issues. This is the reason why I no longer have my sc's.

I got them during the Memorial Day 50% off sale, but at their full price of 49.99, they still aren't to hard on the wallet.

If there is anything you're wondering about that I haven't touched on, let me know and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

donbeth

Apr 27, 2011
Dallas
I just checked out the website http://www.zagg.com/audio/smart-buds.php
They look good. These work for the phone as well? The video mentioned that but I don't see where the mic is.

My only concern is the ear bud style. i have a really hard time getting any of them to stay in my ears. I hate to spend 50 bucks and find they fall out.

enragedpaza

Yes it works on our phone. The microphone is where the volume control/answer button is. It picks up on wind pretty bad though
I just checked out the website http://www.zagg.com/audio/smart-buds.php
They look good. These work for the phone as well? The video mentioned that but I don't see where the mic is.

My only concern is the ear bud style. i have a really hard time getting any of them to stay in my ears. I hate to spend 50 bucks and find they fall out.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

RhynosAndroid

Apr 29, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Yes it works on our phone. The microphone is where the volume control/answer button is. It picks up on wind pretty bad though

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

Actually the mic is on the same area as the answer/pause/skip button is, but the volume slider is located lower on a separate piece than the mic and button.

As far as not being water resistant, I know they aren't. The reason why I used 'not advertised as' was more due to the fact that, even though they don't list them as such, these have held up w/me sweating in 100+ deg weather. So no, they are not water resistant, nor do the mfg claim them to be sweat resistant, but they still have held up where others have failed.

RhynosAndroid

Apr 29, 2011
Tulsa, OK

I have had the same issues, Unfortunately I can't say they will work for you, but they have a joint [this may be a bad way to describe it, but I'll post pics later tonight] that kind of anchors the ear bud in. PLUS the sliders that they have on the lines really help by keeping the line weight from trying to pull them out.

Reactions: donbeth

enragedpaza

Actually the mic is on the same area as the answer/pause/skip button is, but the volume slider is located lower on a separate piece than the mic and button.

As far as not being water resistant, I know they aren't. The reason why I used 'not advertised as' was more due to the fact that, even though they don't list them as such, these have held up w/me sweating in 100+ deg weather. .

On mine the slider is higher and then Mic then button.
I just wanted to make sure no one else put these on got in the tub and ruined them or something dumb like that because of a comment on here that could easily be taken the wrong way

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App

RhynosAndroid

Apr 29, 2011
Tulsa, OK
On mine the slider is higher and then Mic then button.
I just wanted to make sure no one else put these on got in the tub and ruined them or something dumb like that because of a comment on here that could easily be taken the wrong way

When did you get yours? There must've been a design change. I've only had mine for about a month. My volume slider is maybe 8" below my control button/mic, it puts the mic perfect for using w/o having to hold it or adjust it.

As far as the water thing, it's a good point you make, common sense is so rare it's damn near a super power any more. Good call.

Sent from my Bionix 2 - A TeamWhiskey Production using XDA App

enragedpaza

When did you get yours? There must've been a design change. I've only had mine for about a month. My volume slider is maybe 8" below my control button/mic, it puts the mic perfect for using w/o having to hold it or adjust it.

Um It's been awhile now. I ordered mine off there site. Did you order too? Or go to Best Buy?
Edit: picture. Thumb is the end going to the headphones
IMAG0017.jpg

Last edited:

RhynosAndroid

Apr 29, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Yeah, those are different. Has to be an old design. Got mine off the website and here's the pics.

46ea6371-2b6a-9125.jpg

Both, the left is the mic/button and is towards the ear buds and the right is the volume slider. The 2 spheres are the line sliders (there's 1 more also towards the buds)

46ea6371-2b8d-5f71.jpg

The volume slider.

46ea6371-2c8c-6a93.jpg

The control button/mic area.

46ea6371-2d07-b2ec.jpg

And these are my ear buds.

RhynosAndroid

Apr 29, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Also when I long press answer button its for voice control. For no better way to describe it lol

I'll have to try that. w/o a manual, I've just been messing around w/them trying to figure out what they do. I'm sure I could go to the zagg site and possibly dl a manual, but until your post, I had thought I had them all figured out.

KRAZYADROIDMASTER

Feb 1, 2011
I have to check these out.

How is the sound quality.

What music do you use for reference???

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA Premium App

donbeth

Apr 27, 2011
Dallas
The pair arrived in the mail quickly. Fast processing. Got them in time for vacation. They worked really well on the plane. The buds fit my ears decently. The sound is good and it blocked out some of the sound from around the plane. The call quality is good. I like the way they hang around the neck.

RhynosAndroid

Apr 29, 2011
Tulsa, OK
I have to check these out.

How is the sound quality.

What music do you use for reference???

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA Premium App

The sound quality is great. Be it highs, mids or lows, it all comes through w/clarity. Now I've stated before, the bass isn't going to shake your eyes, but then again, bass does not good quality sound make (yeah, that was intentional). It's how distinct everything is w/i the music, and that's what they deliver.

As far as my music, I'm fairly eclectic as it is, from Sinatra to Atreyu, Eminem to Blake Shelton. So, I may have clutch playing one second then Louis Armstrong comes up next on my shuffle. Yes, I even have classical. It all sounds good. I'd like to see what I could do w/it if I had a good equalizer app. I'm currently in the google Music beta and that's something I've already introduced as an idea. Wouldn't have to be complicated, even just a 3 band [although, I'd like to see a 5 band at least!]

Anyway, hope that kind of answers your questions. Sorry for how long it took, hell of a week at work gearing up for the 4th.

RhynosAndroid

Apr 29, 2011
Tulsa, OK
check out DSP Manager within the GB roms, it is awesome for earbuds

Funny story, I just flashed CM 7.1 and it comes w/DSP. Hell, it took 2 days before I knew what it did, and that's just because I was showing a friend the CM website trying to explain ROMs and rooting. Oh, and yeah, it's exactly what I wanted!

On a completely different note, these also work on my laptop as both ear buds and a microphone. Most recently w/my Rosetta Stone language and team speak (game chat) programs.

Sent from my [rooted] LG-P999 running CM 7.1 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

donbeth

Apr 27, 2011
Dallas
Could the ZAGG Smartbuds be draining battery? I had the buds plugged in on Thursday and Friday and found that the battery drained super fast, faster than the already bad battery life. As in 9% loss in one hour.

It did not occur to me it could be the smartbuds until this morning. I did not use them over the weekend and the battery was ok. This morning, I plugged them in and on the way to work had a short phone call (about 2 min). After an hour I noticed my battery was down 9%!

Anyone have any experience with this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have had the same issues, Unfortunately I can't say they will work for you, but they have a joint [this may be a bad way to describe it, but I'll post pics later tonight] that kind of anchors the ear bud in. PLUS the sliders that they have on the lines really help by keeping the line weight from trying to pull them out.
    Also when I long press answer button its for voice control. For no better way to describe it lol

I haven't noticed, but I don't use them for extended periods of time all at once. I will though, just to add more data to the control group.

Sent from my [rooted] LG-P999 running CM 7.1 using XDA Premium App