Sprint Framily Plan = Smoke & Mirrors

Search This thread

clshores

Sep 3, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Here is the text of the email I just sent to Dan Hesse. The savings you supposedly get from the Framily plan are a joke.

I recently jumped on the Framily plan bandwagon for my 6 lines of service to take advantage of the savings that are advertised all over Sprint.com. I actually started to convince my friends and relatives that they should move to Sprint for this fantastic deal.

Then when I inquired about adding a new line to the Framily plan and found out that there are no discounts on equipment I slammed on the brakes and reversed my feelings. Then I additionally found out that my existing lines would no longer be eligible for discounted equipment. Now I am feeling really deceived.

So the end result of the Framily plan hoax is that the monthly savings you supposedly get are the direct result of losing the discount on new line/renewal equipment. I am so angry about this that I will most certainly move back to the plan I was on previously and since 5 of my 6 lines all expire in the next 6 months I will probably take them elsewhere.

To be the number three carrier and do this to your devoted customers and expect them to help you get new customers shocks and amazes me.

I brought my family's lines to Sprint because they were the best deal for me. I can say that you are now following along the path of money sucking that your competitors have been on for years.

I hope that you get many more of these letters as I will be spreading the word to have everyone I can to contact you about this horrible plan.

Last edited:

VandyCWG

I to hate losing discounts on equipment, but Sprint has to make money somewhere. Lower monthly rates (yes, 25 a month for unlimited talk/text 1GB of data is LOW) usually means a higher cost somewhere.

I have an unlimited everything plan for 45 a month on the Framily plan, phone costs 25 a month, but heck, I'll take it! Better than anything Big Red or TMob can do.

quick99si

Dec 3, 2007
Chicago
I will direct your attention to the fine print if you want to be even more upset, particularly the section about data and video streaming.

I'm on mobile, but if memory serves, it basically says that framily plans get bumped down in case of localized high data demand + video streaming is limited to the point of being useless to ease network congestion.

Hesse: data will remain unlimited. Yeah, OK guy.

Sezmar

Aug 24, 2010
Dayton
No discounts are applied until you hit 7 users on the plan then you get the $25.00 a month, you can forget about device discounts too. If you want unlimited data add another $20.00 a month which brings the plan higher then what I am paying now for 5 phones. I will keep my family plan I have now, well actual 2 family plans, better deal and new phone every 2 years with discounts and savings...

JerryGNYC

Jun 28, 2010
You can't get here from there...
No discounts are applied until you hit 7 users on the plan then you get the $25.00 a month, you can forget about device discounts too. If you want unlimited data add another $20.00 a month which brings the plan higher then what I am paying now for 5 phones. I will keep my family plan I have now, well actual 2 family plans, better deal and new phone every 2 years with discounts and savings...

Just checked my bill, I have 3 lines, and all of them are getting $10 off, making them $45 each. You get more off for each line until they're down to $25 each, IIRC.

myphone12345

Jan 12, 2008
First of all, for clarification purposes I think it's appropriate to call them "device subsidies" rather than "discounts".

Next, I am not sure what the OP's "big surprise" here is. The Framily plan is a no-contract engagement. As such there are no device subsides provided under it. This isn't any different than any of the other large carriers' no-contract offerings.

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
Here is the text of the email I just sent to Dan Hesse. The savings you supposedly get from the Framily plan are a joke.

I recently jumped on the Framily plan bandwagon for my 6 lines of service to take advantage of the savings that are advertised all over Sprint.com. I actually started to convince my friends and relatives that they should move to Sprint for this fantastic deal.

Then when I inquired about adding a new line to the Framily plan and found out that there are no discounts on equipment I slammed on the brakes and reversed my feelings. Then I additionally found out that my existing lines would no longer be eligible for discounted equipment. Now I am feeling really deceived.

So the end result of the Framily plan hoax is that the monthly savings you supposedly get are the direct result of losing the discount on new line/renewal equipment. I am so angry about this that I will most certainly move back to the plan I was on previously and since 5 of my 6 lines all expire in the next 6 months I will probably take them elsewhere.

To be the number three carrier and do this to your devoted customers and expect them to help you get new customers shocks and amazes me.

I brought my family's lines to Sprint because they were the best deal for me. I can say that you are now following along the path of money sucking that your competitors have been on for years.

I hope that you get many more of these letters as I will be spreading the word to have everyone I can to contact you about this horrible plan.

I got to tell you, you are whining about nothing. I don't have this plan, but why would you expect device subsidies on a price that low. It obviously isn't a plan for some one that wants a new phone every two years and do the math. You could pay Sprint $30 more a month for your supposed phone upgrade discount which amounts to $720 over 2 years plus the $199 you paid for your discounted phone totaling $919 for you discounted phone. Or pay cash for your phone $600 and save $319 over the same 2 year period. Now, where was your discount? Oh wait there is more, no contract, cheap monthly bill, leave when you want. What are you complaining about.

clshores

Sep 3, 2008
Middle Tennessee
I got to tell you, you are whining about nothing. I don't have this plan, but why would you expect device subsidies on a price that low. It obviously isn't a plan for some one that wants a new phone every two years and do the math. You could pay Sprint $30 more a month for your supposed phone upgrade discount which amounts to $720 over 2 years plus the $199 you paid for your discounted phone totaling $919 for you discounted phone. Or pay cash for your phone $600 and save $319 over the same 2 year period. Now, where was your discount? Oh wait there is more, no contract, cheap monthly bill, leave when you want. What are you complaining about.

No argument on most of the points. My biggest complaint is that they don't come out and tell you up front that this is the way it works. It all just seems a little deceiving to me. I will get my first Framily bill soon and I will see what my actual monthly change is and then I will pass judgement on what/if the savings based on a traditional plan will be.

jtsv

Jun 26, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
Glad to read these issues. I've got 5 family phones still on my Sprint Everything Data Family 1500 and it sounds like I will just stay. I tell everyone that Sprint in OKC is a great wifi use and limited data with partial phone calling. Basically it sucks but with 5 phones my bill is still less than most of the 2-3 smartphone plans of other carriers.

It at least helps when I can't download or even make a call from my house.

Last edited:

travisw0204

Mar 1, 2008

Yeah cruise is right on this one. I was thinking of doing the Framily Plan also but I get a 25% discount on my monthly bill from work. I called up Sprint and inquired extensively about this plan and even asked about my discount and was told that it would apply to the unlimited data which would bring it down from $20 to $15. I was also told that if I move a line into the plan and it wasn't eligible for upgrade that it would cost me an extra $15 a month for 12 months or until the upgrade was available. There are a lot of hidden things in that plan but that's why it's always best to call and get info on it before you make a decision. They aren't going to come out and tell you anything unless you ask. They are hoping more people just switch to the plan without asking about the intricacies of it.

Last edited:

clshores

Sep 3, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Glad to read these issues. I've got 5 family phones still on my Sprint Everything Data Family 1500 and it sounds like I will just stay. I tell everyone that Sprint in OKC is a great wifi use and limited data with partial phone calling. Basically it sucks but with 5 phones my bill is still less than most of the 2-3 smartphone plans of other carriers.

It at least helps when i can't download or even make a call from my house.

When I hit 6 lines I could no longer use the Family 1500 plan. I had to go to the My Everything plan. Like I said I will have to analyse the bill and see if I should switch back.

clshores

Sep 3, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Yeah cruise is right on this one. I was thinking of doing the Framily Plan also but I get a 25% discount on my monthly bill from work. I called up Sprint and inquired extensively about this plan and even asked about my discount and was told that it would apply to the unlimited data which would bring it down from $20 to $15. I was also told that if I move a line into the plan and it wasn't eligible for upgrade that it would cost me an extra $15 a month for 12 months or until the upgrade was available. There are a lot of hidden things in that plan but that's why it's always best to call and get info on it before you make a decision. They aren't going to come out and tell you anything unless you ask. They are hoping more people just switch to the plan without asking about the intricacies of it.

They are currently waiving the $15 fee.

5cardcharlie

Dec 18, 2011
Woah, thanks for the info. I was thinking about switching to the framily plan but hadn't looked into it yet. Now I know it's not for me. It may be a good choice for people who don't mind keeping phones for a long time though.

With sprint, read the fine print ;)

VandyCWG

I've been curious I kind of understand how their new plan is working but I have a question has anyone seen any fine print on the new plans say in 12months u upgrade but your existing phone shows signs of being rooted or knox is tripped? Just wondering if theres anything in there about it.

There is no fine print in regards to that. The early upgrade portion is saying that 12 months in, with unlimited data, they will let you upgrade at no charge.

You don't turn your phone back in or anything like that.

hlplayboy1

Apr 23, 2010
join my sprint framily plan

hey guys join my framily E00395575cg i have 3 people so far lets get this price down

Thanks guys

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

@jtsv. I have the same plan so I think I will stay on it as well. I pay $190 for 4 lines unlimited everything.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk