[Q] Flashing stock

Search This thread

fookea

Mar 20, 2013
Hello,

Firstly i searched the forum for a good answer but didn't find one. Sorry in advance if this question has been already answered and i didn't see the thread \ post.

I would like to change my firmware from 4.2.2 NB5 ORO CSC to 4.2.2 ND5 ( or the latest ) NEE CSC. Is that possbile via odin without changing my CSC ? I mean if i just flash it directly will it work ?

My phone is not rooted and i know that in order to change the CSC i have to rood it. My phone is also locked on my carrier, Orange.

Thank you and sorry if this is a repost of something similar.

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Hello,

Firstly i searched the forum for a good answer but didn't find one. Sorry in advance if this question has been already answered and i didn't see the thread \ post.

I would like to change my firmware from 4.2.2 NB5 ORO CSC to 4.2.2 ND5 ( or the latest ) NEE CSC. Is that possbile via odin without changing my CSC ? I mean if i just flash it directly will it work ?

My phone is not rooted and i know that in order to change the CSC i have to rood it. My phone is also locked on my carrier, Orange.

You can flash the ROM without updating your CSC IF the AP file does not contain the CSC file. If the ROM does not specify in its name that it only includes XXX or YYY without any mention of CSC, then you're fine (Assuming you download from Sammobile). If it does say something related to CSC codes or there are 3 model numbers (different or not) on the file name, then it includes the CSC.

You don't need to root to change CSC. You need the Samsung dialer code + your IMEI number, which will factory reset your phone but change your CSC.

Reactions: fookea

fookea

Mar 20, 2013
You can flash the ROM without updating your CSC IF the AP file does not contain the CSC file. If the ROM does not specify in its name that it only includes XXX or YYY without any mention of CSC, then you're fine (Assuming you download from Sammobile). If it does say something related to CSC codes or there are 3 model numbers (different or not) on the file name, then it includes the CSC.

You don't need to root to change CSC. You need the Samsung dialer code + your IMEI number, which will factory reset your phone but change your CSC.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=28789

This is the ROM i wanted to flash. I'm not quite sure if it includes or not what you said. It should be NEE CSC so i think i can't flash it...right ? :-s

If i can't flash it, can you give me a link to an example firmware that i can flash, other than my stock ORO CSC rom ?

The dialer code + IMEI doesn't work for me. I tried * # 272 *IMEI # and it says the code is invalid. Maybe because i'm branded on Orange ?

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com

This is the ROM i wanted to flash. I'm not quite sure if it includes or not what you said. It should be NEE CSC so i think i can't flash it...right ? :-s

If i can't flash it, can you give me a link to an example firmware that i can flash, other than my stock ORO CSC rom ?

The dialer code + IMEI doesn't work for me. I tried * # 272 *IMEI # and it says the code is invalid. Maybe because i'm branded on Orange ?

That is a full ROM. It includes everything - AP, CP and CSC.

I don't understand, do you just want to get rid of your ORO CSC ROM? You should be able to install your NEE ROM perfectly fine.

fookea

Mar 20, 2013

I don't understand, do you just want to get rid of your ORO CSC ROM? You should be able to install your NEE ROM perfectly fine.

Yes, i want to fully get rid of this ROM because updates on this CSC are so friggin slow it's driving me mad. I want to completly move to NEE ROM. So i can flash this ROM perfectly with the instructions on Sammobile in the link right ?

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Yes, i want to fully get rid of this ROM because updates on this CSC are so friggin slow it's driving me mad. I want to completly move to NEE ROM. So i can flash this ROM perfectly with the instructions on Sammobile in the link right ?

You'll have to unlock your phone first on a website, then you're free to install any ROM from any country. If not it will still be locked to Orange.

fookea

Mar 20, 2013
You'll have to unlock your phone first on a website, then you're free to install any ROM from any country. If not it will still be locked to Orange.

No problem about that, i am still gonna be on Orange anyway. I don't want to unlock it just want to get a different ROM with a newer build number so i can (probably) get away from this stupid battery drain.

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
No problem about that, i am still gonna be on Orange anyway. I don't want to unlock it just want to get a different ROM with a newer build number so i can (probably) get away from this stupid battery drain.

Give it a go, if you can't get it to work, just reflash your stock Orange.

The absolute worst thing that could happen is that KNOX would go 0x1, but you will still get your updates. If that happens, you should really just use custom ROMs, they're wonderful and updates more often.

fookea

Mar 20, 2013

The absolute worst thing that could happen is that KNOX would go 0x1, but you will still get your updates. If that happens, you should really just use custom ROMs, they're wonderful and updates more often.

I know about custom ROMs and i've been looking and them and i really wish i would have the gut to just screw my warranty but i can't do it just now. I've had some problems with my old Xperia Z and i'm lucky i had custom roms but on locked BL so i could claim my warranty. I can't even root it and it's just killing me but meh...

okay, i'll give it a go thanks for the advice and time spent answering to me ! Cheers !

WandersonGD

Jul 1, 2012
Caucaia
Hello,

I don't know how to answer your question but let me ask you... What is CSC and why you don't wanna change it ?

fookea

Mar 20, 2013
I don't know how to answer your question but let me ask you... What is CSC and why you don't wanna change it ?

CSC is your region\carrier customization. It dictates what your updates are , what they contains and when you get them . I want to change it but i know ( i might be wrong about this ) that it's only possible via rooting, wich i can't do atm

fookea

Mar 20, 2013
OK so i flashed the NEE straight on my NB4 ORO firmware and it worked flawlessly.

So for everybody that is asking this: you can flash any full ROM with any CSC on top of any other CSC . This is my experience and i hope it goes well with you ! Good luck !

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com

CSC is Customer Sales Code. You want to change it when you want to debrand/debloat your phone by removing carrier-specific apps or update it to another carrier's update stream (to get a different carrier's upgrades). It also allows for you to get correct APN values if your carrier's auto assign doesn't work properly.

You don't need root to change it, you need Odin and the CSC package. You can use the Samsung code + IMEI as a last resort.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

OK so i flashed the NEE straight on my NB4 ORO firmware and it worked flawlessly.

So for everybody that is asking this: you can flash any full ROM with any CSC on top of any other CSC . This is my experience and i hope it goes well with you ! Good luck !

Good job man! But you have to be aware, I did some research before you did it. It does not apply to all devices. As the Russian ORO and Nordic Countries are the "same" region, I automatically assumed you bought your device in Europe, hence you won't be region locked out of your device. If you had a Hong Kong device you will have to take account for your storage difference (whether its 16GB or 32GB) as ROMs are usually for the 32GB PIT (bootloader), and any flashing of other region based ROMs COULD brick your device.

fookea

Mar 20, 2013
CSC is Customer Sales Code. You want to change it when you want to debrand/debloat your phone by removing carrier-specific apps or update it to another carrier's update stream (to get a different carrier's upgrades). It also allows for you to get correct APN values if your carrier's auto assign doesn't work properly.

You don't need root to change it, you need Odin and the CSC package. You can use the Samsung code + IMEI as a last resort.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Good job man! But you have to be aware, I did some research before you did it. It does not apply to all devices. As the Russian ORO and Nordic Countries are the "same" region, I automatically assumed you bought your device in Europe, hence you won't be region locked out of your device. If you had a Hong Kong device you will have to take account for your storage difference (whether its 16GB or 32GB) as ROMs are usually for the 32GB PIT (bootloader), and any flashing of other region based ROMs COULD brick your device.

Nice find , thanks for pointing it out. I don't think I have a region lock, it didn't have any of the stickers that usually say it's region locked. But yea, my version is from Europe.

p.s. ORO is from Romania :)

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Nice find , thanks for pointing it out. I don't think I have a region lock, it didn't have any of the stickers that usually say it's region locked. But yea, my version is from Europe.

p.s. ORO is from Romania :)

Ahh cool cool, I guess I looked over too quickly but on Sammobile it said there was a Russian ORO too :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,