mono bluetooth streaming on the htc hero for sprint

Search This thread

viigox

Nov 18, 2008
so check it out here is a workaround on the htc hero for sprint to allow you to stream music to a mono (single ear non stereo) bluetooth headset. ok so my bluetooth does not have a2dp capabilities but this works still. this is not my idea its off the android forums i found after doing some digging.

you have to have your phone on vibrate and the music, podcast whatever has to already be playing and your bluetooth already has to be paired.

------------------------------------------------------
11-19-2009, 12:43 AM #8 (permalink)
RedDot

Device(s):

Got non A2DP Bluetooth headset to play Music / podcasts
I went searching for a way to play my podcasts over a non A2DP bluetooth headset. I couldn't find anything, but I did figure out a way to make it work. I'm using a Sprint HTC Hero phone.

1. I went to the phone and dialed '**' (2 stars) which creates a 'p' for pause. Then press call. This enables the headset without actually placing a call.
2. After this I started doggcatcher (or other audio / video player) and it played through the headset. Everything went through the headset after this point.
3. In order to stop playback to my headset I just called my voicemail and hung up. At that point, audio was routed back to the speaker.

I don't know if this will work on other phones, but it did on mine.
good luck.

EDIT: I have found that it only works when my ringer volume is off or on vibrate. Also, the media volume needs to be turned up separately -- Either from the settings control or prior to performing the 'p' call. The volume rocker only controls the Bluetooth call volume after the bluetooth headset is active.
Last edited by RedDot; 11-24-2009 at 12:34 AM.
------------------------------------------------------------------

now i give full credit to this guy. i just couldnt find it anywhere after looking all day. so i figured i should post it here. mods sorry if its already posted

raynda

Mar 6, 2009
Bump!

Does this really work? Is the quality ok? I'd love to avoid spending the extra dough on one of the few pieces that supports a2dp...

Kcarpenter

Nov 24, 2009
Clinton, TN
Bump!

Does this really work? Is the quality ok? I'd love to avoid spending the extra dough on one of the few pieces that supports a2dp...

Works great.
Quality of the audio all depends on the quality of your headset. Personally I stopped buying expensive ones. I buy about 1 a month any more. I lose them everytime.

I guess it can sound a little staticy or muffled at times, but I think thats more Pandora and bad reception in this Tin Can I call an office.

aremom1979

Mar 8, 2010
I was able to listen to my music with my bluetooth on my last phone (which really helps to pass the time at work).

I was so excited to get the HTC Hero for Christmas this year and it is such a great phone. But I was not so excited after I discovered I could not listen to my music with my bluetooth. :(

Thank you for thinking of others and posting this! I spent so much time trying to figure out a way to fix this. This works great! :D

liljom

Mar 13, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
GSM Hero

Hey guys,

I just bought a Voyager Pro, because I thought I can listen to music. After I tried it, it didn't work. And I found out I should have one with a2dp.
I can see, that you, with CDMA can do it now.
But do you have any idea, how could I do it with my GSM Hero?

Thanks in advance,

Roland

dennistpm

Dec 15, 2009
This only works with 1.5 & possibly 1.6 ROMs. I haven't had any luck on DC v1.0, which is a 2.0/1 ROM. :(

Kcarpenter

Nov 24, 2009
Clinton, TN
The bluetooth stack for 2.1 Roms isn't fully complete from what I have figured. a2dp may work with an official release.

EDIT:
Looks like Bluez has supported A2DP since about October 09(v4.15), maybe it didn't make it into our builds.

Last edited: