Sep 5, 2011
What command line? The kernel didn't have any console output
console=ttyO2,115200n8 is what I have

riverzhou

Dec 2, 2006
Shanghai
What command line? The kernel didn't have any console output
console=ttyO2,115200n8 is what I have

Command line of the kernel is "console=ttyO2,115200n8 mem=463M@0x80000000 init=/init vram=5M omapfb.vram=0:5M" .

I change it to yours and set"Always use the default kernel command string" and build again.

Attachments

• zImage.rar
    3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

death2all110

Sep 21, 2010
Illinois
He isn't getting output from the bootloader. At least not with the 3.0+ kernel. Look at the output he posted in that post:
Code:

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
[ 0.000000] Initializing cgroup subsys cpu
[ 0.000000] Linux version 2.6.35.7+ (ubuntu@ip-10-174-42-153) (gcc version 4.4.1 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2010q1-202) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 10 06:22:28 UTC 2012

The output he posted was from before trying the 3.0 kernel.

Last edited:

lovejoy777

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
awsome work guys.

wish I could help, the only way i can is if you need something testing, I'm willing to try anything risky.

thanks for your work, you guys sound like wizards.:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, can you give us any infos on the progress?
    is everything working as expected, does the serial console really work and is helpful? would be interesting to hear if ;)

Sure!

The UART Serial is working it's magic and up until a couple of days ago, we were able to see how the kernel was unpacked and the bootloader handing it off with
    Code:
    Starting kernel …

Uncompressing Linux… done, booting the kernel.
    but after that it went blank. Hashcode then enabled CONFIG_DEBUG_LL and the kernel starting spewing it's guts :)

So piece by piece, the kernel is booting further and further. No screen yet, so the UART is still neccessary for development. Atm I believe it's the charging regulator causing most problems. So that needs to be tackled.

Just a reminder: No, there's no ETA. When there's something to show, it'll be posted.
    How to find the UART
    Thanks to jamez70's, we now know where the serial pins are.

Here is where the UART pins sits on the back of the motherboard.
    attachment.php

(Courtesy of ifixit photo and jamez70's illustration)

The pins from 1-4 are:
    RX TX GND GND (where #4 is marked)

From probing, we can detect the 1V8 level signal and the baud rate of 115200.
    attachment.php

(Courtesy of jamez70)

If you want to hook this up, I suggest you solder on some wires to the pads and run the wires to the front, making life easier to re-assemble the KF.

I suggest you get something like the Breakout Board for FT232RL USB to Serial for hooking this up. Note that the KF is 1V8, so when you want to connect this unit (default 3V3), you may want to use a level shifter, or simply find the VCC on the KF and loop that back that through the VCCIO on the Sparkfun-converter. Sending 3V3 directly into the KF could possibly seriously hurt it!

If you want to construct a simple voltage divider, simply get two resistors and get your soldering gun out. According to Vout = Vin * Rb/(Ra+Rb)
    volt.jpg

Voltage divider circuit (courtesy of calculatoredge.com)

• Vin: 3V3
    • Vout: 1V8
    • Ra: 10 kOhm
    • Rb: 12 kOhm

If you need more UART details, here are some tips:
    • Baud: 115200
    • Bits: 8
    • Parity: None
    • Stop Bits: 1

In the work to get a booting 3.0 kernel on the KF we need some low level access to debug since the USB initializes way later in the kernel sequence. I did some research on the OMAP4430 (the CPU in our dear KF) to try and find out where the UART interface might be accessed.

Looking at the datasheet we get a feeling of all the ball points ("pins") on the CPU. (Observe that this is seen from under the CPU)

attachment.php

OMAP4430 ball bottom layout

By then looking at the UART table TX pin numbers I try to get a feel where they might be located on the chip.

attachment.php

UART 1, 2, 3, 4 table

Finally, I cross referenced the UART table with TX pin and physical position on the board. The colors represent UART 1 TX, UART 2 TX and UART 4 TX. UART 3 doesn't seem likely to be mapped.

attachment.php

UART 1, 2 and 4 TX pin guesses

Observe that these are all estimates, but should narrow the search down (unless they're mapped somewhere way outside of the CPU area that is). I haven't had a chance of testing any of my guesses yet, but I thought I'd at least post my thoughts to get the ball running.
    My spark fun device should be here in a day or so. Fun times!
    One messed up battery pin and a freshly built kernel later.
    11:26 <@Hashcode> **** YES
    11:27 <@Hashcode> I have kernel output
    :)