SD Card Unexpectedly Removed

Search This thread

fueradeljuego

Apr 18, 2012
same here, like everyone, sandsik card 32 gb class 10 purchased from Amazon in November, worked fine in my galaxy s2, the minute I bought my Note 2 and popped it in it started removing itself, remounting and eventually got fried.

Sidneymac

Dec 12, 2010
Wow its a wipespread issue then because I notice it happening to me aswell. Not as frequent as others but 4-5 times per day I notice this warning. The sad part I guess its going to die soon then.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda premium

fueradeljuego

Apr 18, 2012
same here, like everyone, sandsik card 32 gb class 10 purchased from Amazon in November, worked fine in my galaxy s2, the minute I bought my Note 2 and popped it in it started removing itself, remounting and eventually got fried.

oh, and since it fried I've put in my 16-gb card with no issues. Not sure what brand it is, not sandisk though.

We should try to create a list of plaintiffs.

imtjnotu

Jan 16, 2008
I have an adata 32gb class 10 just die.. This is not just a scan disk problem this is a Samsung note 2 problem

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

vseslija

Jun 11, 2009
Vancouver
Well thats really ****y. I would hate to buy another card just to have it fried. Jesus I shelled out $750 for this thing I shouldnt deal with this ;(

Sent from my SGH-T889V using xda app-developers app

krlosf

Aug 21, 2012
same problem!

I have the same problem! 32GB SD SanDisc Grey/Red Ultra Class 10, after 3 months of use, a message "SD unexpectedly removed" is appearing everytime I wake up my phone, then one day "SD Card is damaged" appeared! I couldn't see any file of my SD card using the phone, but using an SD card reader in my laptop!... So I backed up and try different things without any luck! I've tried Formatting using SD Card program provided in the official web site, Tried formatting using the phone itself, using my computer, using chkdsk and... NOTHING!!!
But I just noticed one thing... the only momment when the phone doesn't show any message about "SD card removed" is when I'm using the SD card, I mean, listening music or watching videos. I wanted to try move some apps which are in use all the time to the SD card, just in case... but cuz I haven't rooted my Galaxy, I couldn't do it... So... Just to be sure is not a hardware or software problem of Note2, I will use another SD card and see what happens... and then, try to root my phone and move some apps that are in use all the time to de SD card, just to see what happens...

Last edited:

hamidoo

Apr 26, 2011
Cairo
Had the same issue with my S3.

Turned out that the SD card was dying, this caused it to be unmounted by itself and then mounted again (sometimes showing notification “sd card removed unexpectedly”), hence triggering the media scanning process.

I created an application to monitor how many times the SD card was removed, and turned out to be unmounted every ~3 mins!!!

I then bought a new Transcend 32GB Class 10 card, and until now, this never happens, no reports from the application whatsoever, and no media process eating my battery.

I just published this app in the play store now, this is the link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sdcardmonitor

Reactions: laloutre

Jerry D

Mar 5, 2011
It seems to me that the biggest common denominator isn't the brand of card but the size. 32GB specifically.

I have been using a 64 gig class 10 SanDisk Ultra card for about 3 months with no issues. I have all my music, videos and TWRP backups on it. The card gets heavy usage..I never formatted my card just put it in my Note straight out of the box.

cobraboy85

Aug 25, 2011
It seems to me that the biggest common denominator isn't the brand of card but the size. 32GB specifically.

I have been using a 64 gig class 10 SanDisk Ultra card for about 3 months with no issues. I have all my music, videos and TWRP backups on it. The card gets heavy usage..I never formatted my card just put it in my Note straight out of the box.

Has nothing to do with the size of the card. Sandisk is now classified as a terrible quality brand in my book. Used to use them religiously. Two in a row crashed on me. That was enough. I have had a PNY 32 GB class 10 now for almost 2 years. Been through various devices. Now my note II. Still no issues.

I would suggest purchasing PNY cards. Seriously.

Also, buddy of mine bought 2 32 GB sandisks about a month ago... the first one crashed in 2 weeks. So I doubt this is an issue with the devices. Sounds like sandisk is slippin a bit now

laloutre

Mar 18, 2012
Hi,

thanks for the app. It helped me pointing out the now famous Sandisk red and gray problem (a 32gig model)
Using the sdcard.org format tool did not help

The app reads 3 bad removal in 3 minutes with this card when it stays at zero with my old Class 4 transcend 32Gig card...

For me the situation is not that bad, because I still can use with no problem the sandisk card on my Acer Tab

I really don't know wether the problem comes from sandisk or from samsung, but they are incompatible...

ryokowashu

May 13, 2009
I just started experiencing this issue but it seems that shoving a rolled up piece of receipt paper on it fixed the problem for me.

OwenW71

Jul 20, 2010
I just popped my new Samsung class 10 32GB card. The difference was instantly visible. First, the 'preparing SD card' message came and went much faster, about three seconds compared to over ten with the same size SanDisk. Loading files was about the same time.

I did notice that the card itself fit a bit more snugly in the slot.

My first 32GB SanDisk from Amazon was authentic, I checked with SanDisk customer service. It died about five weeks after getting the phone, but I had use it for months in another phone. I RMA'd it to SanDisk, and the new one they sent me started unmounting after the weeks. I yanked it immediately and put an old 8GB card in until my Samsung showed up. I think that after I format the 32 SanDisk, it should be fine in another device. I hope I caught it in time. I wish I knew what the issue is. Since this is happening with both S3 and N2 phones, I have a hard time believing that Samsung is unaware.

Swyped from the closest Galaxy.

vseslija

Jun 11, 2009
Vancouver
Just purchased a 16gb PNY card and its been running seven hours no problems. I will report again.

kabuk1

I think my card may be defective too. I got it on Dec. 27th & I just fired off an email to Sandisk because in the short time I've had it, I've had to format multiple times due to file corruption & "card damaged" messages, it keeps showing up as read-only in my phone, and now tonight it won't let me copy or delete any files. I delete a file, it acts like its deleted, but when I go back to the folder, there it is again!

There must have been some quality control issues at Sandisk recently cause I've never had this problem with their cards before. My old class 6 64gb has worked fine for the past year. Guess I'll be getting a Samsung card next >:|

Last edited:

Dave_Scott

Feb 12, 2013
Hey guys, my first post:

I have Samsung note GT-N7100 with Android 4.1.2 and Kingston SD card 32Gb.
I have the "SD card unexpectedly removed", and "preparing SD card" on wake up.

However, I found that it only happens if I had previously accessed the SD card in the last session.

Is that helpful?

praveen.mallisetty

Nov 27, 2012
trascend 32 gd

I have a transcend 16gb card that worked fine for a year in my old phone. 2 weeks in my note and I am getting the error as well. I guess its not just sandisk cards

the issue happens with 32gd transcend as well..... does this spoils d phone???

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Should you really have to Odin a phone that has not been rooted or messed with in any way other than signing into your Google account and installing apps from the market? I know that bad devices go out so I am not holding it against Samsung or T-Mobile, I am just not going to put much more effort into this. If you are going to put an SD slot on a phone it better work.

The strange thing is it is just saying the Card has been removed, not actually removing the card. I was listening to music on the phone while working on my car today and the message "It is now safe to remove your SD Card was displaying in notifications for over 2 hours with the music from the card still playing. It may not be an issue at all since the card has always been available when I try to access it no matter what it might say in the notifications bar.

If this doesn't fix it I will be visiting my friends at the T-Mobile store to raise some hell because a refurbished phone will not cut it.

Fingers are crossed

Your logic seems legit.... :) but from where can we expect d FIX for this Issue....?????

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Hey guys, my first post:

I have Samsung note GT-N7100 with Android 4.1.2 and Kingston SD card 32Gb.
I have the "SD card unexpectedly removed", and "preparing SD card" on wake up.

However, I found that it only happens if I had previously accessed the SD card in the last session.

Is that helpful?

Same issue with mine.... bt with 32 gb transcnd sd card... how could we fix this..... does this spoil d phone??? iam more worring abt phone rather than card....

svan71

Feb 1, 2011
Vincentown
Stock / AOSP / TW

l tried multiple roms with my Sandisk 32 class 10 and i still get the message 4-5 times a day when waking from sleep. Its really annoying.I hope there is an answer to this soon.

JetFan

Sep 4, 2009
Long Island NY
FWIW, I am also having this sd card problem, with a completely stock ATT Galaxy Note 2 and a 32gb red and gray Sandisk 32gb card. Does anyone have this problem using the 64gb sandisk ultra card?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have 3 different 32GB MicroSD cards -- Kingston Class 4, Patriot Class 4, and SanDisk UHS Class 10 (red/grey). I also have the Note 2 and my wife has the S3.

The problem seems to be a combination of Samsung's MicroSD slot and SanDisk's super thin MicroSD cards. Both the Patriot and Kingston 32GB MicroSD cards are noticeably thicker (almost 2x) and both fit more firmly in my Note 2' and S3's MicroSD slots.

I also have the same problem when using only the SanDisk MicroSD card in my multi-slot card reader. I get card not inserted errors as well as cyclical redundancy errors, misc write errors, etc. This card reader was not cheap and I paid good money for it because I use it for semi-pro digital photography -- I cannot have a card reader messing up my photos. I purchased my SanDisk MicrosSD card with a full sized SD adapter (just because that's the one that was the best deal). Guess what -- the SanDisk MicroSD card formats, reads, and writes perfectly fine when using the full sized SD adapter in the same card reader. Neither the Patriot nor Kingston MicroSD cards will fit in the SanDisk full-sized SD adapter, so clearly this SD adapter's slot is specifically designed for the significantly thinner SanDisk MicroSD cards.

So, I think the problem is that SanDisk made their newer MicroSD cards too thin, so they're not making constant, proper contact inside Samsung's card slots (and my card reader). My Acer A500 tablet has a better designed card slot so (at least so far) the SanDisk MicroSD card isn't giving me any problems in it. Likewise, my Patriot Class 4 card that's now in my Note 2 is not exhibiting any of these problems because it's a thicker card so my Note 2 (so far) seems happier with it.

Anyway, that's my current theory. I wonder if there are any other memory manufacturers who thinning up their card designs? So far, it's just been SanDisk that I've encountered this. Seems like most of the people here on this thread are also having problems with just the SanDisk cards.
    Hope this helps, but I've used many different brands of miniSD cards and particularly with SanDisk brand, it is best to just put it straight into your phone without reformatting. I have the Note 2, SIII and my wife the SIII. Both SIII's are using the same SanDisk 64GB Class 10 card.

With my phone I put the SanDisk straight into my phone without reformatting. However, on my wife's phone I reformatted (Fat32) on the PC and reformatted once in the phone. Her SD card started acting up.

Contrary to what many people thought including myself, I thought the cards usually all came in Fat32...however, I come to find out the SanDisk's come formatted in exFat, which was a complete SERIOUS?! moment for me. I guess the 'newestest' phones like the Note 2 are exFat friendly?

So my theory is with SanDisk, just leave it alone and put in the SD as is. (For newer phones) I can think of a hand full of reasons of why I think SanDisk's crap out if formatted, but I'll leave the speculation to rest.

Good Luck!

(btw: The best cards I've used are by far Samsung, PNY and A-Data. What they all have in common is that the chip component itself is all made in Korea. Well obviously Samsung is Korean...but I'm referring to PNY and A-Data.)

Cheers

What I have noticed is that most people having issues have a 32gig SanDisk. I am using a SanDisk 64gig (class 10) and haven't had any problems. I took the card out of the packaging and inserted it into my phone. No formatting.. I am stock/rooted with only a little bloat removed.

**EDIT**
    I forgot to mention that my sdcard was for Android Phones. It had the Android Robot on the packaging ect.
    any solutions?

Been trying follow the whole thread....

Please correct me if I missed anything ...

All these possibilities has been discussed but none concluded to be the root issue

- SD card (Sandisk, Kingston, PE etc) manufacturer problem
    - Loose micro ribbon/adapter connecting SD card
    - Samsung Android screen wake up (code issue)
    - Internal Android issue
    - Depending on type of files stored
    - Digital Rights Management

I am beginning to think that that this is Google, Dropbox, Samsung and all the other Big Player's master plan to force us to use their 'CLOUD' vs external storage.

Possible Fix(s)

*All of which either does not work or miraculously worked for some*

- Insert folded paper with SD card (making it tighter to hold)
    - switch on protect SD card under developer options
    - settings > storage > Unmount card and mount it back on
    - Format card
    - Change to FAT32/ExFat
    - Factory reset phone
    - Restart phone
    - Throw phone on the floor and stomp on it
    - Burn it and watch it depart to hell
    - Call Samsung 1-800 and hear them bulls**t you saying it's not my problem, I've already made my money
    - Call Google and get no response
    - Vent on XDA and get no replies

Above all choose Peace and Love and sleep peacefully like a baby!
    I'm just gonna throw this out there... It kinda seems like the latest Samsung phones are happily corrupting SD cards right and left. Now, maybe some cards are more susceptible to this, but the fact remains that this is not just anecdotal anymore. We need to get the various phone groups that are seeing this issue to band together and contact Samsung for a fix.

Mine worked fine for a while, too. I'm not sure what triggered it, but I think the phone did something to it. The reason I think this is simple. I have had many devices with SD cards in them, and never have I had one go bad. This phone was using a card that I had used for months before in another phone, and within a month the card was bad. When I looked online, I found hundreds of cases of the same issue, mostly with Samsung S3 and GN2 phones. It seems too much to be a coincidence.