Anyone else have tiny nicks in the aluminium

Search This thread

jonstatt

Mar 17, 2008
A tiny gripe for the perfectionists. But I noticed after a day, that I had a couple of tiny little nicks in the aluminium. As the phone had just been lying on my desk and hadn't been taken outside it must have come that way. I didn't see them at first because they are on the edges and not on the back surface. It is very tiny and it was because it caught the light that I noticed it. I remember when the iPhone 5 came out there were scores of people with chips on the black iPhones that showed silver underneath. This is nowhere near as bad as that....just the light catching the fact that the surface is not quite flat. I had the same with an iPhone 4 a few years ago as well. Seems to me that aluminium is very dingable, even in the factory.

Anyone else notice this?

Reactions: Xlice
G

GuestK00431

Mines fine so far, no complaints.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

abhs89

Aug 30, 2008
None really had a small black mark but managed to get rid of it quite easily

poondog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 11, 2011
Melbourne
A tiny gripe for the perfectionists. But I noticed after a day, that I had a couple of tiny little nicks in the aluminium. As the phone had just been lying on my desk and hadn't been taken outside it must have come that way. I didn't see them at first because they are on the edges and not on the back surface. It is very tiny and it was because it caught the light that I noticed it. I remember when the iPhone 5 came out there were scores of people with chips on the black iPhones that showed silver underneath. This is nowhere near as bad as that....just the light catching the fact that the surface is not quite flat. I had the same with an iPhone 4 a few years ago as well. Seems to me that aluminium is very dingable, even in the factory.

Anyone else notice this?

What colour and is it possible that you post some pictures? I would like to follow this as would a lot of potential buyers :) Thanks, I have run out of thanks for the day
Please keep us posted about this

jonstatt

Mar 17, 2008
What colour and is it possible that you post some pictures? I would like to follow this as would a lot of potential buyers :) Thanks, I have run out of thanks for the day
Please keep us posted about this

I tried to take a photo of it, but I am going to need someone at home to help me take the picture as its all about getting the light angled correctly so that its clear in the picture. So I will need someone to hold the phone at the right angle so I can get a picture to show. I will try and see if I can get a picture shortly. It is a silver phone, the only colour available right now.

kalo88

Nov 21, 2012
It's not possible to make it 'perfect' so there will be slight defects.

Mine has a tiny little mark on the top that unless you really look for it in certain light its not possible to really see.

Dharkan

Sep 16, 2012
İstanbul
Unless there's a real dent or chip on the casing, it shouldn't be a problem. I know it can annoy perfectionists but man, that is aluminium, it is understandable (to an extent, of course)

jonstatt

Mar 17, 2008
yep, my silver came with tiny nicks..could feel them when i ran my fingers down the side.not there now [3 days later], maybe 'ironed' out lol

Haha...I hope the metal is not SO soft such that it would be possible!

I have wondered if a fingernail is able to nick the edges of the metal. The anodising is only on the back surface. So the bevelled edges will be more suceptible. It is the edge where I noticed a couple of tiny nicks.

I was reading that a fingernal has a hardness of 2.5 (on some scale that I forget the name of). And aluminium is 2.5-3. This would suggest a fingernail striking the edge of the phone could put a nick it. But I am not willing to try intentionally to do so!

mang0

Jan 12, 2012
San Diego
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 6
Haha...I hope the metal is not SO soft such that it would be possible!

I have wondered if a fingernail is able to nick the edges of the metal. The anodising is only on the back surface. So the bevelled edges will be more suceptible. It is the edge where I noticed a couple of tiny nicks.

I was reading that a fingernal has a hardness of 2.5 (on some scale that I forget the name of). And aluminium is 2.5-3. This would suggest a fingernail striking the edge of the phone could put a nick it. But I am not willing to try intentionally to do so!

Mohs scale! :D Yeah, they do overlap on the hardness scale, and nails have a history of being able to scratch aluminum (take Macbooks, for instance).

jcb1985

May 13, 2012
KENT
Yeah my wife came in the room yesterday and said when she pressed the power button, her finger nail scratched the silver lightly. looks like someones drawn a line with a lead pencil by the power button now. might try to buff it out but afraid if i wear the area down it will all go a dull grey.

mang0

Jan 12, 2012
San Diego
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 6
Yeah my wife came in the room yesterday and said when she pressed the power button, her finger nail scratched the silver lightly. looks like someones drawn a line with a lead pencil by the power button now. might try to buff it out but afraid if i wear the area down it will all go a dull grey.

Note to self: Don't be lazy about cutting your nails once you get this phone.

Good call! :good:

CreepyDroid

Apr 19, 2012

Rule number 1: never let your wife come anywhere near your phone :silly:

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
This is weird. And yes aluminum does indeed has a weak mohs scale and that's the main reason why they anodize it. Now when anodized the mohs scale increases to 9 so how would a fingernail even scratch that?

jonstatt

Mar 17, 2008
This is weird. And yes aluminum does indeed has a weak mohs scale and that's the main reason why they anodize it. Now when anodized the mohs scale increases to 9 so how would a fingernail even scratch that?

I dont believe all of the aluminium is anodised though. The back surface certainly is. But there is a bevelled edge which is almost shiny like a mirror, and I think that area is not treated and is also where I found a couple of tiny nicks (seen when angled under a spotlight) out of the box. It is unfortunately also the most likely bit to be hit knocked, swiped with a fingernail etc.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
I dont believe all of the aluminium is anodised though. The back surface certainly is. But there is a bevelled edge which is almost shiny like a mirror, and I think that area is not treated and is also where I found a couple of tiny nicks (seen when angled under a spotlight) out of the box. It is unfortunately also the most likely bit to be hit knocked, swiped with a fingernail etc.

Could you post a picture of that bevelled edge? I'm not sure what you're saying but HTC One is unibody. And when you anodize aluminum you submerge the whole body into a solution. So it's quite impossible that some parts get's anodized and some aren't.

ksarius

Dec 13, 2012
I guess I have to cut all my nails b4 buying it lmao

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Anyone else notice this?
    Finally I took a picture of a mark on my aluminium. As I said at the very start. It is very small. Would you take it back for this? There is a second even smaller one elsewhere.

You will have 50 of those in a months time... Keep it.