[ Overheating fix ] Samsung galaxy s2 / also fix for gps and signal loss.

Search This thread

john_x

Jul 10, 2008
Bucharest
THIS IS FOR THE SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 I9100 (international version only,don't try this on the epic 4g touch).
FOR THOSE THAT DON'T WANT TO READ THE ENTIRE POST,THE OVERHEATING FIX IS INSTALLING THE KH3 MODEM (It's for the international S2 version,it's attached at the bottom of the post).

NO ROOT NEEDED!

Ok, so I got my samsung galaxy s2 a couple of months ago,and I had problems with signal loss for a couple of seconds from time to time , the person on the other end of a call could hear his eco during the call , but the biggest problem I had with it was that every time I turned on the internet 3g ,wifi or gps the phone would heat up to over 40 degrees celcius in less than 5 minutes (near the camera and the screen in the upper side).
After updating to ICS 4.0.3 LPQ the problem persisted, overheating, signal loss etc.
After some researching I found some people saying that the problem is not hardware related but software related...the modem to be more specific, I looked around and everybody was saying that THE BEST modem ever made for the samsung galaxy s2 is KH3 , so I went ahead and I installed it via odin and this is what I noticed:

-the phone stays at 25 degrees in standby, during a call at 28 degrees,and while on 3g,wifi or gps maximum 33 degrees celcius (it slightly feels warm).
-I have not had a single signal drop since installing it.
-Internet is faster,gps positioning is faster and call quality is allot better on both ends!
-My phone finished charging at 12 o clock midnight yesterday...its 12 o clock midnight where I am from,so after 24 hours since a full charge,I had a total of about 55 minutes of talk time , 10 minutes gps use, 15 minutes wifi and 10 minutes 3g I still have 75 percent of battery left!!!!!

So if you are experiencing any problems mentioned above I suggest you install the KH3 modem.

For those that are new and don't know how to install a modem,it's very easy and the entire process takes less than 2 minutes. NO ROOT NEEDED

Attached you will find ODIN and the KH3 modem , to install do the following, download the zipped file and unzip it in a folder, open odin and un-check "F. reset time" so that only "auto reboot" is checked ,then on the "Phone" button select the "modem.bin" file.
After that hold down the volume down+home+power button on your S2 until your phone powers down (and you can release)and then when the warning screen comes up press the volume down and the phone gets in to download mode,after that connect it to your computer and you should see a yellow 0:(COM6) (or something like that) come up,then all you have to do is click start and in 30 seconds your phone will bootup and when you go to setings and then about phone you should notice under "baseband" that it now says that you are running the kH3 version, I highly suggest that you install android 4.0.3 LPQ before you do this because it is a very stable upgrade witch brings new features to your phone and also I have not noticed a single bug with it.
Just to be clear, you can install this modem on any ROM , but I sugest you install the official ICS 4.0.3 LPQ version before installing this modem.

--------- Also,for those that experience signal drops (and this happens on all modems on certain carryers) go to menu,settings,more...,mobile networks,network mode and click "GSM only"..you won't have signal drops but unfortunatly choosing GSM only will limit your internet to EDGE only (not 3g or H+) ..so only do this if you experience signal drops. -----------

Also..and I have no idea why...with my previous radios my phone would get really hot while playing games (even if I had the internet or wireless off) ,it would get to 45 degrees,after flashing the KH3 modem...I played resident evil 4 (biohazard 4) and my phone stayed at 33 degrees celcius!!! ..and playing dead space..35 degrees! :D

Please come back with comments after flashing this modem.

Last edited:

bartoloandre98

Oct 9, 2010
Can you summarize your post into some points please?Became dizzy trying to read ur chunk of text.At least next time use paragraphing and indentations .

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: marcopolo

john_x

Jul 10, 2008
Bucharest
Its for the international S2 ,I have used it with this modem in the UK on three and U2 networks and in Romania on the COSMOTE network.

Reactions: Audvise

MarcL.20

Oct 1, 2011
After some researching I found some people saying that the problem is not hardware related but software related...the modem to be more specific, I looked around and everybody was saying that THE BEST modem ever made for the samsung galaxy s2 is CH3

How can I check my modem version? Is there a code?

piurso

Oct 9, 2010
I have changed to this modem using mobile Odin but it shows KH3 under baseband. Is this correct?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

EvilStevious

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Sorry buddy,my mistake....it's the KH3 modem, I apologize for the incoviniences,I have corrected the first post.

No problems at all, and cheers for the correction! I've been noticing my phone being rather warm to the touch lately and my battery life being less than desirable - I'll try the KH3 modem and see if I can achieve similar results to you. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

john_x

Jul 10, 2008
Bucharest
No problems at all, and cheers for the correction! I've been noticing my phone being rather warm to the touch lately and my battery life being less than desirable - I'll try the KH3 modem and see if I can achieve similar results to you. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

I suggest you install "battery HD" from market and in settings make it show up on your taskbar, its very accurate and when you click on it you can see the battery temperature and how much talk time you have,3g,wifi,gps etc.

Let me know after installing the KH3 modem if it solves your problem..I still have 70% battery life after 27 hours!

Reactions: aki2002

john_x

Jul 10, 2008
Bucharest

Yeah...even the guy that posted all of those said that 5 modems where ok...and the one you said is not one of them ..KH3 is , it does not matter that its a newer version, LPQ is a newer version and it sucks, if this modem works perfectly,great signal,great battery life and stops heating up your phone why try anything else?.

kosh12

Jan 14, 2007
There is a big problem, when i use gingerbread modems with ICS - i can`t receive and send MMS messages.

cloak

Oct 25, 2005
I'm following the CM9 thread from the beginning. After upgrading a new build and sometimes trying a newer modem I always came back to the KH3 modem. Always had a fast and perfect GPS fix and no heating or radio problems.

I'm pleased somebody else has the same experience. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-05-16-09-46-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-16-09-46-42.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 3,848
Last edited:
Reactions: akhtarg

Stolper

Feb 20, 2012
Thnx, just flashed it. I hope your right, it's a lot better to call with a cool phone by your ear:)

slekkas

Oct 25, 2007
Can someone post a cwm version of this modem? I found one in the previous link by a user but it says file no longer exists.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: francabernal

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS FOR THE SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 I9100 (international version only,don't try this on the epic 4g touch).
    FOR THOSE THAT DON'T WANT TO READ THE ENTIRE POST,THE OVERHEATING FIX IS INSTALLING THE KH3 MODEM (It's for the international S2 version,it's attached at the bottom of the post).

NO ROOT NEEDED!

Ok, so I got my samsung galaxy s2 a couple of months ago,and I had problems with signal loss for a couple of seconds from time to time , the person on the other end of a call could hear his eco during the call , but the biggest problem I had with it was that every time I turned on the internet 3g ,wifi or gps the phone would heat up to over 40 degrees celcius in less than 5 minutes (near the camera and the screen in the upper side).
    After updating to ICS 4.0.3 LPQ the problem persisted, overheating, signal loss etc.
    After some researching I found some people saying that the problem is not hardware related but software related...the modem to be more specific, I looked around and everybody was saying that THE BEST modem ever made for the samsung galaxy s2 is KH3 , so I went ahead and I installed it via odin and this is what I noticed:

-the phone stays at 25 degrees in standby, during a call at 28 degrees,and while on 3g,wifi or gps maximum 33 degrees celcius (it slightly feels warm).
    -I have not had a single signal drop since installing it.
    -Internet is faster,gps positioning is faster and call quality is allot better on both ends!
    -My phone finished charging at 12 o clock midnight yesterday...its 12 o clock midnight where I am from,so after 24 hours since a full charge,I had a total of about 55 minutes of talk time , 10 minutes gps use, 15 minutes wifi and 10 minutes 3g I still have 75 percent of battery left!!!!!

So if you are experiencing any problems mentioned above I suggest you install the KH3 modem.

For those that are new and don't know how to install a modem,it's very easy and the entire process takes less than 2 minutes. NO ROOT NEEDED

Attached you will find ODIN and the KH3 modem , to install do the following, download the zipped file and unzip it in a folder, open odin and un-check "F. reset time" so that only "auto reboot" is checked ,then on the "Phone" button select the "modem.bin" file.
    After that hold down the volume down+home+power button on your S2 until your phone powers down (and you can release)and then when the warning screen comes up press the volume down and the phone gets in to download mode,after that connect it to your computer and you should see a yellow 0:(COM6) (or something like that) come up,then all you have to do is click start and in 30 seconds your phone will bootup and when you go to setings and then about phone you should notice under "baseband" that it now says that you are running the kH3 version, I highly suggest that you install android 4.0.3 LPQ before you do this because it is a very stable upgrade witch brings new features to your phone and also I have not noticed a single bug with it.
    Just to be clear, you can install this modem on any ROM , but I sugest you install the official ICS 4.0.3 LPQ version before installing this modem.

--------- Also,for those that experience signal drops (and this happens on all modems on certain carryers) go to menu,settings,more...,mobile networks,network mode and click "GSM only"..you won't have signal drops but unfortunatly choosing GSM only will limit your internet to EDGE only (not 3g or H+) ..so only do this if you experience signal drops. -----------

Also..and I have no idea why...with my previous radios my phone would get really hot while playing games (even if I had the internet or wireless off) ,it would get to 45 degrees,after flashing the KH3 modem...I played resident evil 4 (biohazard 4) and my phone stayed at 33 degrees celcius!!! ..and playing dead space..35 degrees! :D

Please come back with comments after flashing this modem.
    I attached it.
    Yes - I can. At this point, I just want to figure out how to factory reset my device. Any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksDiaKE6umk

But before you do that I think you did something wrong...did you unzip the arhive somewhere before you loaded the modem from the "phone" button? did you make sure the F reset time check box was clear?

Bellow the modem:

Follow my steps exactly.

EXTRACT THE "MODEM" FILE FROM THE ARCHIVE AND PUT IT ON THE DESCKTOP

1 With your phone disconected from your pc, get it in download mode.
    2 Open odin and make sure the F reset time box is empty.
    3 Press the "Phone" button and load the modem file from the descktop.
    4 connect your phone to the pc
    5 You should see a connected symbol when you connect it to the pc
    6 click start.
    How can I check my modem version? Is there a code?

Settings->about->baseband number
    I'm not aware of any CH3 modem... do you mean KH3?
    Sorry buddy,my mistake....it's the KH3 modem, I apologize for the incoviniences,I have corrected the first post.