[HELP] Custom Recovery Flashing Failed + Few Other Questions [Noob-User]

Search This thread

jaydeeph

Apr 18, 2014
London

Dear XDA Developer Community,

So before I get to the main problem I'd like to let you know that I've been reading a lot of Articles/Threads on Rooting, Flashing Custom Recovery and Custom ROM. Also this is my very first Android phone so please do excuse me, I'm a complete noob at Android, FOR NOW! ;)

My Android Phone Detail ( In case it helps anyone out):
Model Number: SM-N9005 - International Qualcomm Version.
Android Version: 4.4.2 - It originally came with 4.3 Jelly Bean, however I updated it and now regret this decision. However I'm well aware that a downgrade is not possible.
Kernel Version: 3.4.0 - 636608. dpi@SWDD5614#1
AP: N9005XXUENB7
CP: N9005XXUENB1
CSC: N90050XAENB1

MyjMi2A.jpg

Need Help With:
Do I have to be rooted in order to flash custom recovery? I've tried to search for an answer but didn't find anything specific. I do know that I need root access in order to use TWRP Manager. However what about if I wanted to flash TWRP recovery via Odin?

So here's the trouble. I do not have root access nor custom ROM. I tried to flash TWRP using this tutorial, http://true-android.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/twrp-2700-touch-recovery-for-samsung_8952.html. Go down to the header that says "How To Install TWRP 2.7.0.2 Touch Recovery on Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 Via Odin".

Using that method I tried to flash TRWP. I started Odin, added the img.tar to AP and started the flashing sequence. Everything went well and the box went green meaning it was applied. Getting excited I enter recovery mode only to be disappointed. The recovery was still an stock recovery (or whatever you call it). However it was the first time I went into recovery and was paranoid. When I select "reboot system now" it says "error". Does that mean I messed something up? The images below show what I mean.

I boot into recovery mode:
bOos7gN.jpg

However it says "No command" with exclamation mark! Is that a bad thing?:
KObaZXf.jpg

When I select "reboot system now" it shows me this, however it still reboots:
GDCUWKX.jpg

So does this mean something is wrong with the recovery or is it fine? Because I'm completely scared right now and don't want to ruin my brand new Note 3.

Additional Q:

Q1) I think my boot-loader is locked. Since I read Chainfire say that the KK version has locked boot-loaders now. Meaning I cannot flash anything. Is that why the TWRP flash failed? Not really sure. Also you guys know my phone details, could anyone lead my to a thread or anything so I could unlock the boot-loader. I've also read somewhere on XDA that the KitKat bootloader has "install-recovery". Is this true? And is there a way around this currently? Since I really wanted to install TWRP recovery badly.

Q2) Do I need to have ROOT access in order to flash custom recovery and custom ROM? Or could I do it without ROOT access since I've heard some custom ROM's come pre-rooted. I'm thinking to flash BobCat ROM.

Q3) If you look at my device details what method should I use to ROOT my device? "Root de la Vega" seems a bit complicated for me. Since I've only used CMD but don't know about Terminal (though I've heard of it many times). I could use "CF-Auto-Root by Chainfire", however is this safe to use? I do know if I use Chainfire's method my knox counter will trip.

Lastly thanks a lot for the help. I know I'm complete beginner at this and may annoy some users with my questions, so sorry about that. But I had to, because I'm very cautious. I don't go ahead with anything until I know the details and reading a lot on the topic.

Last edited:

celderic

Dec 1, 2010
I was also on NB7 a few weeks ago, turn the device off, do the button combo for download mode, and flash this with odin - http://www.techerrata.com/file/twrp2/hlte/openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.3-hlte-4.4.img.tar
then wait for it to reboot the phone after flashing, and try to go to recovery it should be fine now.
and to root the device, copy this onto the phone http://download.chainfire.eu/396/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip and flash that in TWRP and this will add supersu to the system partition of the stock rom. no need for cf-auto-root after this.
I hope this helps!

EDIT:
The first picture shows that knox is 0x0, after flashing twrp like you just did that will be 0x1 now, but this recovery i posted should be fine :)
also what version of odin are you using? i prefer 1.85 and have never had problems with it.
if you have kies installed or running on your pc kill the processes before starting odin.

Last edited:

jaydeeph

Apr 18, 2014
London
I was also on NB7 a few weeks ago, turn the device off, do the button combo for download mode, and flash this with odin - http://www.techerrata.com/file/twrp2/hlte/openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.3-hlte-4.4.img.tar
then wait for it to reboot the phone after flashing, and try to go to recovery it should be fine now.
and to root the device, copy this onto the phone http://download.chainfire.eu/396/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip and flash that in TWRP and this will add supersu to the system partition of the stock rom. no need for cf-auto-root after this.
I hope this helps!

EDIT:
The first picture shows that knox is 0x0, after flashing twrp like you just did that will be 0x1 now, but this recovery i posted should be fine :)
also what version of odin are you using? i prefer 1.85 and have never had problems with it.
if you have kies installed or running on your pc kill the processes before starting odin.

Hi, firstly could you please not quote the while OP because its massive and when you quote it, it ruins the thread. If you could edit that out it would be great, thanks.
Secondly, thanks a lot for the reply. I will try this method soon.
You see I tried to flash TWRP but it didn't work. But now my Current Binary & System Status is "Custom". So I'm shocked to see that, lol. But I'll try your method when I get time :).
Also it says "Qualcomm Secureboot: Enable". And I've heard that I cannot flash anything if the bootloader is locked.

Hi, firstly could you please not quote the while OP because its massive and when you quote it, it ruins the thread. If you could edit that out it would be great, thanks.
Secondly, thanks a lot for the reply. I will try this method soon.
You see I tried to flash TWRP but it didn't work. But now my Current Binary & System Status is "Custom". So I'm shocked to see that, lol. But I'll try your method when I get time :).
Also it says "Qualcomm Secureboot: Enable". And I've heard that I cannot flash anything if the bootloader is locked.
mine also the same Qualcomm Secureboot: Enable , but still can flash recovery. no problem flashing other rom and rooting.

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
If you want root flash cf-autoroot from original developement thread. Takes around 10 secs...
Also when flashing a recovery, untick reboot.
Its better to flash, wait for success then boot into recovery as KK has a little script that reverts back to Samsung recovery on 1st boot...
f you boot to recovery after a successful flash, when you then select reboot in the custom recovery it will ask if you wish to disable this little bugger... No more problems with stock recovery re-asserting itself over what you want then...

Reactions: jaydeeph

jaydeeph

Apr 18, 2014
London
I hope this helps!

EDIT:

mine also the same Qualcomm Secureboot: Enable , but still can flash recovery. no problem flashing other rom and rooting.

If you want root flash cf-autoroot from original developement thread. Takes around 10 secs...
Its better to flash, wait for success then boot into recovery as KK has a little script that reverts back to Samsung recovery on 1st boot...
f you boot to recovery after a successful flash, when you then select reboot in the custom recovery it will ask if you wish to disable this little bugger... No more problems with stock recovery re-asserting itself over what you want then...

@celderic &@fadhil3536 thanks for those tips guys but it didn't work, however you're not wrong. Its the script in KitKat as ultramag mentioned. Really appreciate the help guys :good:.

Just as I suspected, what @ultramag said, seems to be the problem here. I did read that somewhere but no one mentioned a way around it.
Thanks a lot, I will try this and let you know of the outcome. In the meanwhile could you help me out here since you're a senior member.

Q1) Does unlocked or locked bootloader matter when ROOTING/Flashing Custom Recovery/Flashing ROM?

I forgot the other questions and some are already answered by me reading the forum threads. If I do remember any, is it okay if I PM you?

Thanks a lot, once again.

Last edited:

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
@celderic &@fadhil3536 thanks for those tips guys but it didn't work, however you're not wrong. Its the script in KitKat as ultramag mentioned. Really appreciate the help guys :good:.

Just as I suspected, what @ultramag said, seems to be the problem here. I did read that somewhere but no one mentioned a way around it.
Thanks a lot, I will try this and let you know of the outcome. In the meanwhile could you help me out here since you're a senior member.

Q1) Does unlocked or locked bootloader matter when ROOTING/Flashing Custom Recovery/Flashing ROM?

I forgot the other questions and some are already answered by me reading the forum threads. If I do remember any, is it okay if I PM you?

You untick reboot in Odin. This will leave your phone in download mode after the flash. When it says "success" you then turn off phone and boot to recovery.

Depends what you mean wigh locked or unlocked bootloaders.
If youre talking about the n9005 bootloader that wont let you downgrade, I have that. Wont matter. If you mean like the US carriers that lock & do bad stuff you might need to check out that particular forum.

Im a shift worker so getting back can be spotty but I have no problem with you pming me.:D

jaydeeph

Apr 18, 2014
London
You untick reboot in Odin. This will leave your phone in download mode after the flash. When it says "success" you then turn off phone and boot to recovery.

If youre talking about the n9005 bootloader that wont let you downgrade, I have that. Wont matter. If you mean like the US carriers that lock & do bad stuff you might need to check out that particular forum.

Im a shift worker so getting back can be spotty but I have no problem with you pming me.:D

Woop, I did it last night bro & then went to sleep straight away. But yeah I did exactly what you told me in the first post you made and it worked like a charm! Once flashed I shut it down and boot it up into recovery mode and TWRP was there :D. It didn't ask me to disable the KitKat script thingy but I think it automatically did that because I booted into recovery 3 more times just to triple check it, I'm very cautious.

And yes I have the SM-N9005 International Version, since I'm in the right forum ;). Ohh okay I guess I'll just have to wait for someone to figure out how to downgrade :p. But will it be okay if I flash a Custom ROM without ROOT? Or would I need to ROOT then flash Custom ROM? Or is it the opposite way around? Unless the Custom ROM comes with ROOT then I know I can just flash the ROM.

Thanks bro, I'll PM you if anything is urgent; and take all the time in the world dude, I know people always get busy :).

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
Woop, I did it last night bro & then went to sleep straight away. But yeah I did exactly what you told me in the first post you made and it worked like a charm! Once flashed I shut it down and boot it up into recovery mode and TWRP was there :D. It didn't ask me to disable the KitKat script thingy but I think it automatically did that because I booted into recovery 3 more times just to triple check it, I'm very cautious.

And yes I have the SM-N9005 International Version, since I'm in the right forum ;). Ohh okay I guess I'll just have to wait for someone to figure out how to downgrade :p. But will it be okay if I flash a Custom ROM without ROOT? Or would I need to ROOT then flash Custom ROM? Or is it the opposite way around? Unless the Custom ROM comes with ROOT then I know I can just flash the ROM.

Thanks bro, I'll PM you if anything is urgent; and take all the time in the world dude, I know people always get busy :).

I tend to root with new recovery, cuts down on problems later.... Is the fact you have no root connected to the fact it wasn't rooted or because the rom wasn't rooted right?
I use cf-autoroot, about 10 secs to flash and that includes opening odin, selecting file, putting phone in download mode and hitting start.... Heck, in the time it took me to type this I could've rooted 2 phones....:p:silly::D

jaydeeph

Apr 18, 2014
London
I tend to root with new recovery, cuts down on problems later.... Is the fact you have no root connected to the fact it wasn't rooted or because the rom wasn't rooted right?
I use cf-autoroot, about 10 secs to flash and that includes opening odin, selecting file, putting phone in download mode and hitting start.... Heck, in the time it took me to type this I could've rooted 2 phones....:p:silly::D

I did not get anything you said here: "Is the fact you have no root connected to the fact it wasn't rooted or because the rom wasn't rooted right?"
Haha, But I think I understand after reading 10 times xD. I don't have ROOT nor any Custom ROM. But wanted to know do I need to have ROOT in order to flash Custom ROM?
Also in the recovery mode, TWRP asks me to install SuperSU or something like that. Should I allow it? Would it be safe?

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
I did not get anything you said here: "Is the fact you have no root connected to the fact it wasn't rooted or because the rom wasn't rooted right?"
Haha, But I think I understand after reading 10 times xD. I don't have ROOT nor any Custom ROM. But wanted to know do I need to have ROOT in order to flash Custom ROM?
Also in the recovery mode, TWRP asks me to install SuperSU or something like that. Should I allow it? Would it be safe?

Sorry long day with little sleep. If TWRP is asking to install Super SU then it will root for you, let it...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hope this helps!

EDIT:

Okay thanks for letting me know. Now I'll try the methods :), wish me luck. Hehe.