Finally, hardware accelerated web browser!

Search This thread

jay_993

Nov 27, 2010
Go watch the video. Look how very smooth scrolling is

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using XDA App

No its quite different. Scrolling on sgs is smooth. But it feels so different to the heavier feeling scrolling on sgs2. Until one tries you never know whether its "butter smooth" or not lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

KrewCial

Mar 31, 2008
None have surpassed the iphone's overall smoothness and accuracy since its introduction (imo), so Im VERY curious how smooth the galaxy nexus/ICS will be in practice.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

Galaid

Sep 1, 2010
None have surpassed the iphone's overall smoothness and accuracy since its introduction (imo), so Im VERY curious how smooth the galaxy nexus/ICS will be in practice.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

Samsung implemented iphone way of scrolling in SGS2 and backported the feature to SGS1 browser in firmwares starting from JVQ (2.3.4 if I remember well). People are not aware about this.

And this video doesn't prove that we are going to see this feature on ICS.

Please, don't mention Opera.

jay_993

Nov 27, 2010
Samsung implemented iphone way of scrolling in SGS2 and backported the feature to SGS1 browser in firmwares starting from JVQ (2.3.4 if I remember well). People are not aware about this.

And this video doesn't prove that we are going to see this feature on ICS.

Please, don't mention Opera.

The funny thing is the scrolling feels the same with miui on sgs2? Or am I on crack? Lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

ericc191

Jan 28, 2007
West Fork
The browsing looking really impressive, however going from portrait to landscape and vice versa looks to be a little slow. That's a nitpick I've had since my WM days.

None of it matters once this phone is released, however. It's going to have massive developer support and most of the issues people are whining about will disappear with custom kernels, ect.

Rythmyc

Jul 19, 2011
Yep, looks like fail button pressing to me as well. Notice how he had to move the screen to get the buttons to show up again before he hit home again?

ptscon

Nov 5, 2009
The browsing looking really impressive, however going from portrait to landscape and vice versa looks to be a little slow.

I think it's made to take that long so you don't accidentally start flipping things around when you don't really want to. I'm sure they could make it flip much faster but decided to give it a delay.

Gallery app takes just as long.

Last edited:

TheSonicEmerald

May 12, 2010
Buena Park
Just a note, I thought the browser fluidity was more based on the implemention of a caching store, not exactly GPU acceleration, according to Anandtech.

Sent from my Fascinate with MIUI Gingerbread

TonyHoyle

Mar 2, 2009
Manchester
So just now with ics, android is finally at the same level as ios. It took years for the google engineers to develop gpu acceleration?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Nope.. it's been done in android before - Samsung had some phones that did it..

It's just taken this long to mandate its use. Which is quite understandable when you have to be able to support £50 phones which don't have much of a GPU to speak of as well as £500 uber phones.

hikarugo

Jul 12, 2010
Singapore
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Well, my GS2's browser is smoother.

Just a note, I thought the browser fluidity was more based on the implemention of a caching store, not exactly GPU acceleration, according to Anandtech.

Agree. That's how the iPhone's browser is smooth. It stores caches and use that cache while zooming so that the smoothness will be like zooming an image in thw gallery app. Not like android which still render while zooming

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Last edited:

hgrimberg

Nov 10, 2008
BA
www.grimbergarchitecture.com
Nope.. it's been done in android before - Samsung had some phones that did it..

It's just taken this long to mandate its use. Which is quite understandable when you have to be able to support £50 phones which don't have much of a GPU to speak of as well as £500 uber phones.

So I will have to view webpages on a Droid 3 as if I have a cheap $50 phone just because google thought that one size fits all was a better policy? That's mediocre thinking.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Galaid

Sep 1, 2010
Well, my GS2's browser is smoother.

Agree. That's how the iPhone's browser is smooth. It stores caches and use that cache while zooming so that the smoothness will be like zooming an image in thw gallery app. Not like android which still render while zooming

Iphone creates a picture of the webpage and you were right, it scrolls em smooth as in the gallery app. When you reach the boundary of the rendered picture, it quickly rerenders the rest of the page from the cache. From the movies, it's still not in Aosp, only in samsung stock roms.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nice, very nice :) Finally, full hardware accelerated web browser!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTpf0J5vfMs

Head to 50 seconds ...

Happy .. Happy .. Happy ..

I can now ditched Opera Mobile .
    Honestly, everyone will say that their phone is faster "my 600mhz android 1.6 phone takes 20 seconds is faster that your 1.5 ghz quad core HTC one x loading the same app in 2 seconds". Tbh here everyone is a fanboy and fanboy like you defend their phone like a mother protecting a child.
    And no, you should stop being a fanboy unless you have replaced your pair of eyes with 15fps shooters.

or if you were being sarcastic, its an exception

You call people fanboys, and yet act like a a GS2 fanboy.

pot, meet kettle.
    i am honest about this and you're not. You're just making **** loads of excuses from saying the sgs2 is laggy (video shows its not to now losing out and calling me a fanboy) That is what makes you a idiotic fanboy.

I am waiting for improvements and would rely on a official galaxy nexus Rom rather than cm9 on sgs2.

Edit: nope SGS2 browsers does not have motion blur effect on it (bull**** about actually using a demo the sgs2 AGAIN).
    Its just skiing on snow as a pose to a skate park
    Once again, i would be judging with by friends nexus.

You started with the fanboy comments. You are just solidifying your position as a GS2 fanboy every insult you make.

So, let me get this straight....you haven't even tested a gnex yet and bashing it? Wow.

You have a little GS2 running down your chin. Want a tissue?
    Well sorry to disappoint. No special effects or firecrackers here. My phone is smooth. Doesn't SEEM smooth, it IS smooth. I would tell any curious gs2 or iPhone owner to see how far android has come with a 4.0.4 update. Everything got smoother from running .2 and 384mhz gpu to .4 and 307. No over clocks whatsoever and -200mv or more under volts. Still smooth. And I've played with gs2's that were choppy as hell in browser and maps. Off a fresh boot. But for the most part they usually aren't like that. Anyways, I am going to go start the galaxy nexus challenge. Winners get jelly beans.

bow chicka wow wow.

"And I've played with gs2's that were choppy as hell in browser and maps", clearly you haven't even touched a Galaxy S2 in person and made bull**** up to back up AOSP which is why Android is still rather unoptimised.
    We need people to be honest and google to fix lag issues for future builds.

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

I've had both but I'm really not seeing much of a difference. I'm not getting lag when pinch and zooming. Once in a while, yes. But for example this forum web page, nexus general, is smooth as can be scrolling and zooming. But I agree the sgs2 gpu was a better chip and prob smoother overall. But I can't see much of a difference in performance smoothness honestly.

Its not with the GPU, SGS also has the same GPU as the Galaxy Nexus but at a lower clock speed. The once in a while lag is very annoying and what many of us hate is how android zooms in "level by level"

Here is what I mean by "micro lag", when flickering down a page on Galaxy Nexus there is visible "jitterlyness" and google needs to fix this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVn-u7MbB3E
    "And I've played with gs2's that were choppy as hell in browser and maps", clearly you haven't even touched a Galaxy S2 in person and made bull**** up to back up AOSP which is why Android is still rather unoptimised.
    We need people to be honest and google to fix lag issues for future builds.

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

Its not with the GPU, SGS also has the same GPU as the Galaxy Nexus but at a lower clock speed. The once in a while lag is very annoying and what many of us hate is how android zooms in "level by level"

Here is what I mean by "micro lag", when flickering down a page on Galaxy Nexus there is visible "jitterlyness" and google needs to fix this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVn-u7MbB3E

my brother has a gs2.tweaked with custom rom,oc etc.the browser experience isn't good as my nexus,with 4.04 update,aosp based rom and a oc kernel i eat my bro in browser surfing at all (speed\pinch to zoom\scrolling\page rendering)notice that he has also ics with quick ics browser app from market same as mine (not tried with chrome or others)
    tried that with quick ics browser and stock.