[now without battery :-)] Replace Backup Battery in Tornado, Hurricane or Typhoon

Search This thread

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Hi all,

...after a long wait I found a suitable rechargable battery to replace the worn out one in my Tornado. It has the size (and mounting) of the Typhoon but still can be fit into the Tornado or Hurricane as well.
Have a look to here: http://picasaweb.google.com/tobbbie...upBattery?authkey=wadwcFTm3no&feat=directlink
I still have 6 batteries left, send me PM if you are interested - first come first serve. Of course you can order yourself at the distributor as well.

[Edit 20100326]
Batteries are all used up now, but see this post for at least something helpful.

enjoy,
tobbbie
:)

Last edited:

markanthonypr

Feb 17, 2007
Puerto Rico
Hi all,

...after a long wait I found a suitable rechargable battery to replace the worn out one in my Tornado. It has the size (and mounting) of the Typhoon but still can be fit into the Tornado or Hurricane as well.
Have a look to here: http://picasaweb.google.com/tobbbie...upBattery?authkey=wadwcFTm3no&feat=directlink
I still have 6 batteries left, send me PM if you are interested - first come first serve. Of course you can order yourself at the distributor as well.

enjoy,
tobbbie
:)
So is the problem about loosing time settings when removing battery gone by replacing this internal one? Mine always shows as the internal battery is fully charged. But it does loose the time settings.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Replacing the backup battery solves the problem that time+date are reset to the ROM default when removing the main battery for purposes like changing SIM card or minSD.
While not really a problem, some programs reset their counters (like GPRS monitor) and leave you without memorizing how much of your plan was eaten up already.

markanthonypr

Feb 17, 2007
Puerto Rico
Never really noticed the loss on other programs. Only missed the time. So how do you wish to get rid of the 6 extra batt's you got left?
Replacing the backup battery solves the problem that time+date are reset to the ROM default when removing the main battery for purposes like changing SIM card or minSD.
While not really a problem, some programs reset their counters (like GPRS monitor) and leave you without memorizing how much of your plan was eaten up already.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
As I wrote - send me a PM (private message in the board) and we talk about the details. I would need to send from Germany, so it may get cheaper for you if you order directly at farnell. I charge 3 Euro for one battery (as I bought 10 + packing was roughly 25 Euro) plus the cost to send it to you (packing + postage). And -no- I am not making a business of this :)

markanthonypr

Feb 17, 2007
Puerto Rico
Yes, too much trouble and shipping would probably be very expensive aswell. Might just find one at RadioShack here. If I chose to mess around with welding on my PB. Thanks mate.
As I wrote - send me a PM (private message in the board) and we talk about the details. I would need to send from Germany, so it may get cheaper for you if you order directly at farnell. I charge 3 Euro for one battery (as I bought 10 + packing was roughly 25 Euro) plus the cost to send it to you (packing + postage). And -no- I am not making a business of this :)

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
I doubt you get anything like this at Radioshack. You may get batteries, but you need a rechargeable one! Also the physical sizes for batteries that you can put on an PBA start from 12mm in diameter - and these are just too big.

The real ones are available from Seiko, on the WEB you may find a catalogue here: http://www.seiko-instruments.de/10-0-micro-batteries.html
I choose to buy the only ones that farnell could deliver (the largest that Seiko offers) and so far they work well.

An international letter from Germany to any place in the world is just 2 Euro. If you add some paypal overhead the total may not be more than 6-7 Euros - and you get what proves to fit - so make your choice - further details only via PM.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Just another mention - now that my Tornado is back to life with SDHC support!

To get the best out of your backup battery, never leave the device without the main battery. After time (days, weeks, months?) the backup battery will simply die as it is deep-discharged. Sad to see that the normal habit is to have the main battery stored separate from the device.
The self discharge of the main battery is much higher than the drain from keeping the backup battery alive and the real time clock running on the device. It is also good to recharge non used devices twice a year.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Another goodie for the ones that are not using cooked WM6 ROM but still a WM5 on Tornado:

HTC uses a service dll to store the time+date at shutdown and restores it when coming up again in case the Real time clock is showing something older (fall back to ROM time).
I have ripped it off the WM6 cooked ROM that I have and hacked a .cab together that installs the file and the required registry entries. You need to reboot once to have the service activated and only at the next shutdown it will store the time.

So even if you cannot replace the battery, the loss of time at swapping cards is not as big as before.

But anyway - why not jump on WM6 with SDHC included? I am running my Tornado with a 16GB SDHC card - plenty of space to fill still.

The attached .cab only works on WM5+ devices, it installs on WM2k3 as well but will not run - even if the registry path is setup correctly to point to the driver on \storage\windows where it will be installed.

Attachments

• CheckRTC-WM5+.cab
    4.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited: