Need assistance w/ DIY A500 Repair (Power Button) *ACER FIXED IT!*

Search This thread

Jigga0o7

May 31, 2009
SF Bay Area
www.twitter.com
I'll have to take pictures later when I get home so you all can have a better understanding of my problem.

My power button stopped working two days ago (no click or reaction when pressed). I never filled out any of my warranty things & I have no idea what my serial number is. So any who, I opened up my tablet and carefully disconnected the battery and all necessary connectors so that I could see what was causing the button issue. Turns out, the power button switch had disconnected from the circuit board.

I went and bought a soldering iron but after a few attempts I realized that I was going to have to go a different route. The chip itself has five connections to the board and these connections are under the chip itself. What is the best way for me to reconnect this chip to the board? I'm thinking of purchasing some thermal adhesive and seeing if that does the trick since without this part I'm looking at a large paperweight. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20111108_185354.jpg
    IMG_20111108_185354.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 3,071
  • IMG_20111108_185325.jpg
    IMG_20111108_185325.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 2,768
Last edited:

WereCatf

Jun 16, 2011
I'd like to help, but without seeing how it actually is I'm having trouble with that. And I don't feel comfortable opening my tablet without a good reason.

Could you perhaps supply a few pictures?

Jigga0o7

May 31, 2009
SF Bay Area
www.twitter.com
I'd like to help, but without seeing how it actually is I'm having trouble with that. And I don't feel comfortable opening my tablet without a good reason.

Could you perhaps supply a few pictures?

Added two pictures, sorry if they're not clear enough. The whole thing is pretty much trash unless I'm able to repair this or get it to someone that can. People should be aware when they push their power button super hard - doesn't have anything keeping the chip firming in place.

WereCatf

Jun 16, 2011
I'm thinking of purchasing some thermal adhesive and seeing if that does the trick since without this part I'm looking at a large paperweight. Any suggestions?

Thermal adhesive might not be the best idea. It's primarily meant for conducting heat, and thus it seems most thermal adhesives are somewhat electrically conductive. In other words you could possibly create a short and fry something.

In theory I agree that using something glue-like substance would be the easiest way to go, but you need to find something that is not electrically conductive in the least and when it dries/cools down that it hard. If it becomes a soft blob you'll find you're still having issues with the switch staying down and connected.

I'd personally still go with soldering it down and then applying something to ensure it stays there, but you'd need a very tiny soldering iron -- like e.g. one used by clocksmiths -- and steady hands. And preferably some experience with soldering something so small.

tumpy

Dec 17, 2010
DFW
Your eleven digit serial # is inside the cover of the sd card door, a one year warranty is on all acer tablet, if they cannot fix it they would have given you a new one from the place of purches mine would be staples, i call acer usa all the time, i call today and ask if the 500 will get ICS the answer was when google release the code they will..

karlkarloff

Jan 2, 2011
Boone, North Carolina
I would suggest soldering it, its the only thing that will hold the switch in place long term. They do make a conductive adhesive for electronic circuit board repair, but it is more for repairing boards, not really for attaching components. It wouldn't be too hard to solder it back on, just get some solder wick and remove all the old solder first, then re-attach the switch with new solder. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, take it to your local TV/Electronic repair shop. Since its already out and all they would have to do is re-solder the switch, it probably wouldn't cost too much to do. Although what the other poster said about returning it to Acer to have them repair it is probably the smartest answer. If it does have a year warranty, then that's what I'd do.

Jigga0o7

May 31, 2009
SF Bay Area
www.twitter.com
Any insight as far as how they would know? I called acer last night and was given all the info as far as how to send it back. Hopefully if they notice I did some tinkering, they'll just fix it anyway and bill me or something. I definitely regret panicking about this situation & opening it up when that was totally unnecessary.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

heretic

May 17, 2005
Voronezh
There should be a tamper-evident seal underneath the MicroSD/SIM compartment door. It rips when you disassemble the tablet. It is a little black square sticker that says something like "Warranty void if broken" (I dunno exactly, I already removed mine completely). It's hard to miss.

Jigga0o7

May 31, 2009
SF Bay Area
www.twitter.com
There should be a tamper-evident seal underneath the MicroSD/SIM compartment door. It rips when you disassemble the tablet. It is a little black square sticker that says something like "Warranty void if broken" (I dunno exactly, I already removed mine completely). It's hard to miss.

I couldn't find it, looked for a while. I'm going to be sending mine off today. Hopefully they'll just fix or replace it. If they send it back to me unrepaired it's not the end of the world. I'll just count it as a loss and buy a new tab early next year. Definitely wouldn't be another Acer though; that power button connection isn't nearly as sturdy as it should be.

Jigga0o7

May 31, 2009
SF Bay Area
www.twitter.com
UPDATE:

I sent my device to the Acer location in Temple, TX and received an email from them this morning that it has been repaired and that I will soon be emailed with a tracking number. Hopefully that's true and not just a template response though.

slow_DC4

Dec 19, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Did you root,flash any roms on your tablet? I was just wondering because mine has the same problem, power button not working, and may have to send it back to acer for repair. I am a little worried that they would find out that I flashed a rom and would not repair it. Thanks

Jigga0o7

May 31, 2009
SF Bay Area
www.twitter.com
Did you root,flash any roms on your tablet? I was just wondering because mine has the same problem, power button not working, and may have to send it back to acer for repair. I am a little worried that they would find out that I flashed a rom and would not repair it. Thanks

Yep it was modded in every way. Rooted, Thor rom on it etc. Thing is, they probably didn't know any of that until they'd already fixed the power button. I'll report back on Wednesday as to whether or not they actually fixed it or if they replaced it with another.

slow_DC4

Dec 19, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Yep it was modded in every way. Rooted, Thor rom on it etc. Thing is, they probably didn't know any of that until they'd already fixed the power button. I'll report back on Wednesday as to whether or not they actually fixed it or if they replaced it with another.

Ok, thanks for letting me know, sounds exactly like mine. Have to give the Costco concierge service a call tomorrow to see what they say, whether to send it to acer or get another one through Costco.

Jigga0o7

May 31, 2009
SF Bay Area
www.twitter.com
Ok, thanks for letting me know, sounds exactly like mine. Have to give the Costco concierge service a call tomorrow to see what they say, whether to send it to acer or get another one through Costco.

If I were you, I'd try Costco first. Especially if you're like me in the way that I HAAAAATE having to wait for things to come. They've had it since last Wednesday and I'll be refreshing the fedex tracking website like 100 times per minute looking for updates. :eek:

Reactions: lowsum

Jigga0o7

May 31, 2009
SF Bay Area
www.twitter.com
Gonna go pick it up from fedex once I get off work. Will report back as far as the repair status/replacement. If they did repair or replace, that's a very good showing on Acer's end as far as their product support since I opened the unit and had it rooted.

slow_DC4

Dec 19, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Ok, looking forward to your reply. I called costco and apparently I was past the return period so I have to send it to acer for repair. Just out of curiosity, did they charge you for anything?

Sent from 234 Elm Street

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If I were you, I'd try Costco first. Especially if you're like me in the way that I HAAAAATE having to wait for things to come. They've had it since last Wednesday and I'll be refreshing the fedex tracking website like 100 times per minute looking for updates. :eek:
    I had the same issue with the power button came right off the motherboard. A needle tip soldering iron and some 18ga wire and wallah i not concerned about looks as long as it works I touch the wires together til i hear the buzz then release them, and when i shutdown I use an app called Quickboot from the play store, that;s it problem solved