Zeki Streaming Media Box

Search This thread

beanboy89

Jun 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Anyone ever seen or heard of the Zeki Streaming Media Box? We got two of these in at work today and it looked really interesting. A quick Google search turned up no results.

The listed specs are:
  • Android (doesn't list the version, but looks to be at lest ICS)
  • 1 GB RAM
  • HDMI out
  • Ethernet
  • 2 USB posts
  • SD card slot
  • WiFi 802.11b/g/n
  • 4 GB flash memory

And it looks like it includes:
  • Remote (Appears to have a full QWERTY keyboard)
  • HDMI cable
  • Power adapter

And here's a picture of the front and back of the box: http://i.imgur.com/BMk8bDT.jpg

Sorry about the non-clear pictures. I think it says "TAB803B" as a model number, but I'll have to check. If that's indeed the case, it may be related to the MK803-based series of HDMI sticks.

bhaffar

Jul 5, 2007
Anyone ever seen or heard of the Zeki Streaming Media Box? We got two of these in at work today and it looked really interesting. A quick Google search turned up no results.

The listed specs are:
  • 1 GB RAM
  • HDMI out
  • Ethernet
  • 2 USB posts
  • SD card slot
  • WiFi 802.11b/g/n
  • 4 GB flash memory

• HDMI cable
  • Power adapter

And here's a picture of the front and back of the box: http://i.imgur.com/BMk8bDT.jpg

Sorry about the non-clear pictures. I think it says "TAB803B" as a model number, but I'll have to check. If that's indeed the case, it may be related to the MK803-based series of HDMI sticks.

Yeah, I picked one up at Wal-Mart yesterday for $98 total. Tried to set it up and couldn't get it to power on! The instructions say that it's normal for it to take several minutes to boot up but never got it to show any kind of menu or anything - just an annoying red flashing light that never turned blue and a black TV screen - yes I checked the HDMI connections - so maybe it was DOA out of the box? At any rate, the box is bigger than my Roku 3. The combo QWRTY keyboard and remote is a good idea but in my opinion, the whole thing is poorly constructed. It's going back tomorrow. I am not a paid spokesperson for Roku but I really love the Roku experience but would love to use an Android type device so I can stream my SlingBox which unfortunately isn't supported on Roku. I also saw that my Wal-Mart had an Equiso but after reading all the negative reviews I passed on that. As with anything, take this "review" with a grain of salt and your mileage may vary.

Reactions: beanboy89

kevace1

Mar 22, 2009
New York City
I actually saw this box in my local Walmart and wondered what its all about.....im looking to kill my cable bill and see if a streaming box is all i need....or maybe not....as i see Roku has no advantage then my PS3....so not sure where to go

beeallsdeep

Apr 17, 2013
I recently picked up this box. What is inside is essentially the Hackberry by miniand except it isn't rooted. The Zeki is the 1GB Ram version. Haven't tested it out much. It doesn't have bluetooth. It comes with a remote that you have to plug a dongle into one usb port in order for it to work thus eliminating one usable usb port. Full size sd card slot. The remote feels cheep, but is fairly nice. Also a nice feature of it is the dongle can be plugged in to your pc and you can use the remote on your pc. Button map for use on pc. The keyboard works just fine. the volume buttons work as normal. The video controls work except fast forward and rewind they only seem to work in windows media player not vlc or media player classic. For right click use the back button and middle mouse button(to scroll) use the menu button.

There are much better options out there for the same price, but it comes with a cool remote. Also it supports output to rca which is useful if you happen to only have that option avaliable. Comes with the hdmi cable.

philly0128

Aug 2, 2007
I just picked up the ZEKI SMB at walmart also. I have 3 Roku and the vizio co-star and I can say this is not as popular but it can be. It gives you more option than the roku because you have access to the google play store. The vizio costar has access to the google play as well but I can't get 95% of my apps to install not even by sideloading.

This box gives you a 100% Android feel with the ability to customize the home screen and access the google settings just like your phone or tablet.

So far I can't get the hulu plus but I haven't tried the other modified hulu apps I have yet. I have FB, gmail, my regular email, netflix, plex app which are my main apps up and running.

installing apps could be faster but i'm not sure if it's due to my doing it via wifi or if it's cpu.

The remote does feel cheap but it's not as big and bulky as the co-star remote.

I can see this becoming very big if it can get rooted and then a nice kernal for some OC/UC love.

eclipsekid07

Nov 12, 2010
This box works great for me. works with Netflix, Hulu Plus, Google Play, HD Home run app, and many more. WiFi works decent would probally work better with external antenna. I just need to figure out how to root it which doesn't look easy. If anyone finds anything on how to root this please pm me thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

eclipsekid07

Nov 12, 2010
Used modded hulu plus from another xda topic used one that said Hulu landscape mod also had to check allow unknown sources in settings.

puppysong

Apr 18, 2013
This box works great for me. works with Netflix, Hulu Plus, Google Play, HD Home run app, and many more. WiFi works decent would probally work better with external antenna. I just need to figure out how to root it which doesn't look easy. If anyone finds anything on how to root this please pm me thanks.

tTorrent also works well...

s1newave

Sep 6, 2012
It has great potential

I picked one up from the walmart. Loaded XBMC frodo just fine. Now if I could just find a way to root

eclipsekid07

Nov 12, 2010
Pictures

Pictures of Board and processor.

IMG_20130501_074445.jpg

IMG_20130501_074450.jpg

IMG_20130501_074514.jpg

gadsden

Sep 18, 2009
Used modded hulu plus from another xda topic used one that said Hulu landscape mod also had to check allow unknown sources in settings.

Not sure why you needed to use a modded hulu plus app, I was able to install the regular hulu plus app from google play just fine. Unless you don't actually have a hulu plus account, I don't see why you wouldn't have used the available app, it works fine.

Anyway, I have been using the box for a few days and I think I am going to return it. I've had non-stop issues with the internet connection. I have a 60mbps connection, but I am getting less that 1mbps speeds on the box. I called the tech support number and they advised me to change the channel on the router. It bumped up to about 7mbps. I asked the support agent why I still only got 7mbps when I have a 60mbps connection and he advised that the box has a maximum speed of 9mbps. So, he told me that if I got 7mbps after changing the channel, that the box would perform as designed since I was reaching the maximum speed the box could allow and that the lower speed was likely due to the specifications of the box itself. Well, after a couple hours, the speed dropped back down under 1mbps and changing the channel again bumped the speed back up for a short time. Since then, I have noticed that the only way to get the speed up is to change the router channel or reset the box. I assume resetting the router would work to, but that is pointless. With the slow speeds, streaming media constantly buffers or doesn't load at all. Am I the only one with this problem? Maybe I should just exchange the box?

Edit to add: the box also lags badly for me, not just with online service in the browser and streaming media, but also just navigating the UI. I assume it's the processor and low RAM, looking for another box to replace it with unless it;s just a bad unit.

Last edited:

eclipsekid07

Nov 12, 2010
Not sure why you needed to use a modded hulu plus app, I was able to install the regular hulu plus app from google play just fine. Unless you don't actually have a hulu plus account, I don't see why you wouldn't have used the available app, it works fine.

Anyway, I have been using the box for a few days and I think I am going to return it. I've had non-stop issues with the internet connection. I have a 60mbps connection, but I am getting less that 1mbps speeds on the box. I called the tech support number and they advised me to change the channel on the router. It bumped up to about 7mbps. I asked the support agent why I still only got 7mbps when I have a 60mbps connection and he advised that the box has a maximum speed of 9mbps. So, he told me that if I got 7mbps after changing the channel, that the box would perform as designed since I was reaching the maximum speed the box could allow and that the lower speed was likely due to the specifications of the box itself. Well, after a couple hours, the speed dropped back down under 1mbps and changing the channel again bumped the speed back up for a short time. Since then, I have noticed that the only way to get the speed up is to change the router channel or reset the box. I assume resetting the router would work to, but that is pointless. With the slow speeds, streaming media constantly buffers or doesn't load at all. Am I the only one with this problem? Maybe I should just exchange the box?

Edit to add: the box also lags badly for me, not just with online service in the browser and streaming media, but also just navigating the UI. I assume it's the processor and low RAM, looking for another box to replace it with unless it;s just a bad unit.

I returned mine BC poor WiFi range and no otg port w/o special cable.

eclipsekid07

Nov 12, 2010
Got rid of this junk

The ROM on this box was horrible plus you need to have a male to male USB cable to use adb .This went back to Walmart where it belongs.

gadsden

Sep 18, 2009
Yeah, I'm taking it back too. I was going to order that Mele box, but I opted for the older Tronsmart mk808b. I know it's old technology, but I got it on Amazon with a iPazzPort KP-810-10-A remote for $70 and it will be here in two days with free Prime shipping. This seemed like the best option Amazon had and I wanted to stick with amazon for free shipping and simple return procedure. If it's not good enough for what I want, I can always get the newer T428 with quad core and 2GB RAM. Whatever I stick with, it's not going to be the Zeki.

adamzfun

Jun 23, 2007
Flashing

Does anyone have info on rooting this box and then flashing into recovery mode? Can the static XBMC for linux be installed on this?

I have found the xbmc performance otherwise to be very flawed.

thanks

sirzune

Sep 21, 2012
Hoping it isn't a dud.

I just bought one via a shopping channel for $49 with easy-pay. Some of the reviews are bad; some a very good. I've mixed feelings as I have owned one of their android tablets and thought it okay, not great. But for the money, not a terrible strain. Can send it back if it is a dud.

Edit: It's a freakin' dud, alright! But it can get Youtube quite well, but surfing is a pain and the browsers (any browser) is VERY slow. Piece of crap!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The listed specs are:
    • 1 GB RAM
    • HDMI out
    • Ethernet
    • 2 USB posts
    • SD card slot
    • WiFi 802.11b/g/n
    • 4 GB flash memory

• HDMI cable
    • Power adapter

Yeah, I picked one up at Wal-Mart yesterday for $98 total. Tried to set it up and couldn't get it to power on! The instructions say that it's normal for it to take several minutes to boot up but never got it to show any kind of menu or anything - just an annoying red flashing light that never turned blue and a black TV screen - yes I checked the HDMI connections - so maybe it was DOA out of the box? At any rate, the box is bigger than my Roku 3. The combo QWRTY keyboard and remote is a good idea but in my opinion, the whole thing is poorly constructed. It's going back tomorrow. I am not a paid spokesperson for Roku but I really love the Roku experience but would love to use an Android type device so I can stream my SlingBox which unfortunately isn't supported on Roku. I also saw that my Wal-Mart had an Equiso but after reading all the negative reviews I passed on that. As with anything, take this "review" with a grain of salt and your mileage may vary.
    I installed pub_a10_i8_1280x720_ddr408_odt_1.6.0_1127(xinwu).img firmware on this box and works better then ever. quick and responsive . way better the that junk stock firmware
    would you please make a tutorial and upload the files so i can try this out, i have this box but it was so slow when i first bought it, so i never messed with it since :D
    I sent it to you as a private massage as I cant post links yet
    here is a couple links that have the firmware, the videoplayer, and the xml files needed for external media player in kodi for the Zeki media box
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/gcq5j6

http://frd.li/b01cc6d55c4ea61d
    hey can i get the link??

I would appreciate it if you would send me the link as well. this zeki really blows...
    I installed pub_a10_i8_1280x720_ddr408_odt_1.6.0_1127(xinwu).img firmware on this box and works better then ever. quick and responsive . way better the that junk stock firmware