heey fellow forum readers,

i hace got a oil stain under my screen :confused:
can somone tell me what it can be?

thnxs fore the info;)

Reactions: henslo

charly_mx

Jan 18, 2007
Hello my friend.

Well actually that is very bad news. If you are inside the guarantee go to your dealer because this is a hardware and manufacture problem. Its a common problem on the latest hi res touch screens for htc.

I have the HTC touch diamond and i have the "Oily square of death" which is a like a rectangle just in the middle of the screen which looks like oil. My be your screen has become less responsive, some are reporting that with the time the screen goes completly useless and does not work at all.

There is no way you can fix it by yourself. I know its hard to know, still is a common problem :( So sad my friend.

Regards-

opensea

Dec 23, 2008
Ankara
Bad situation. Sorry to hear that.

I dropped my TD2 to the ground today and i was very scared. I hope its okay.

cko2

Oct 22, 2008
this is caused by too much pressure on the screen by for example carrying the phone in your pocket and sitting down. i had the same problem and abviously the screen lowered itself into the phonecase. have a look on the phone sidewards and i think you will notice the same. i had luck and had an guarantee exchange. but normaly htc does not cover screen problems! take care with that phone.. even the manual says.. dont carry it in the pocket and sit down.. which is quite ridicolous for a mobile phone isnt it?

Bothkill

Aug 16, 2009
Bucharest
I had a dust particle under the touch screen (between the touch screen and display).

I've took the phone to my designated service (which was not an original HTC service) and they've cleaned it up. Now it's ok.

Maybe you should do the same.

n3m3s1s

Aug 22, 2008
utrecht
thnxs

thnxs fore the reactions :)
i have contacted my phoneshop
the said it is a commen problem and it wil be cofferd :D

thnxs fore al the tips and help

momojopoe

Feb 7, 2009
POSSIBLE SOLUTION!!!!

I fixed the very problem you guys are having with duct tape. Yes duct tape. The problem is not that the layers are separated, but that they are stuck together. So basically, your phone is acting as if it's continually being pressed, I put duct tape on the screen and gently removed it. I had to do this about twenty times, but eventually it separated the layers and the phone works like new. I know it sounds crazy, but it worked. I am aware of one other person who has had success with this method. I saw him post it on another forum. I believe this method will work for many of you so please try it and please be patient. As I said, it took several adhesions and removals before it worked.

abzza

Jun 29, 2009
POSSIBLE SOLUTION!!!!

I fixed the very problem you guys are having with duct tape. Yes duct tape. The problem is not that the layers are separated, but that they are stuck together. So basically, your phone is acting as if it's continually being pressed, I put duct tape on the screen and gently removed it. I had to do this about twenty times, but eventually it separated the layers and the phone works like new. I know it sounds crazy, but it worked. I am aware of one other person who has had success with this method. I saw him post it on another forum. I believe this method will work for many of you so please try it and please be patient. As I said, it took several adhesions and removals before it worked.

hehe nice...
if you cannot fix it with ducktape it is because You are not using much of it! :D

br3nt

Jul 23, 2008
ducktape - a mans best friend!

reminds me of a time when we hooked up a projector with ductape during a conference
tape everywhere! ;)

uzi2k2

Dec 16, 2006
Tape works!!!

LOL
Last week I bought an Diamond 2 because the digitizer of my Cruise stoped responding. I tried the tape thing and... my cruise is working as a charme again.

abzza

Jun 29, 2009
It hapend for me to this morning but the screen was still responsive. :mad:
Then I did the quick tape reperation and now whola rings are gone :)

tracksuit

Sep 5, 2008
had a go at the duct tape as a bit of a last ditch attempt.

still no luck, the oil stain disappeared however the screen remained mostly unresponsive.

a bit of screen mashing will press certain things in certain places, but not where the initial pressure was applied.

might keep trying it later.

word of warning though, careful if the sticky tape is strong, my digitiser started separating a little. i've resigned myself to a new one anyway so it wasnt much of a loss for me if ive made it worse.

just an fyi

Lomius

Mar 31, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Tilt 2 Screen doing this.

OMG My Tilt 2 has the huge oil stain square thing now. Never had this before. First time I had it in my pants pocket ever without its case... 1 time. ATT says that I damaged the screen. By having it in my POCKET? WTF. This sucks. Ill try the Duct Tape thing. I hope that works.

Niczo

Nov 3, 2009
Stockholm
IMO you can't expect a digitizer to withstand constant, direct pressure such as that inside of a tight jeans pocket. After all, it's just a few sheets of plastic with tiny gaps in between.

The digitizers employed on the TD2 and some other, newer models seem to be particularly sensitive, but nonetheless this is a common hazard with ANY resistive touchscreen. The plastic in a resistive touchscreen has to be soft and bendable, and because of that it is also susceptible to warping.

Capacitive touchscreens can be fitted with tough screen surfaces thanks to the relevant touchscreen components sitting behind the display panel and not in front of it.

I've used a hardcase with screen cover for the past six months since I bought my TD2. It makes the screen somewhat inaccessible on-the-go, so it's not the most practical solution. Still, it's the only way to truly protect the screen from pressure.

http://www.pdair.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=10100000_900000_11000630&products_id=17582

pimpin190

Oct 29, 2009
sorry to dig out this post...

I have the same problem, I am planning to send it back to HTC. Do you think there is a risk they don't take it within the guarantee (sorry for my bad english) as I installed hard SPL and a cooked rom ? Maybe should I reinstall official HTC rom...

thank you for your advise

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    heey fellow forum readers,

i hace got a oil stain under my screen :confused:
    can somone tell me what it can be?

thnxs fore the info;)
    Yesterday I had a very unpleasant surprise: something wrong happened to my Topaz screen.

I found this thread and I think my device screen is having the same problem than yours. I tried the "duct tape solution" but it didn't work (I didn't use duct tape, but the tape I used is very similar).

So, I think is a very good idea to show you guys the problem, because there's a chance the problem with my Topaz screen is different. Please see the included pictures and share your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Your problem is the same, just displaying different symptoms. I have seen anything from the oil stains to broken pixels as yours show. There was a thread with video on replacing the digitizer but I can't find it right now. Just search "Topaz Digitizer Replacement" and you should find it.
    **Edit**- I did find this site and this thread, hope this helps.

Good luck!