Advice needed : I want to study web design/ ui design

Search This thread

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
What can i study in order for me to work as a web designer/ ui designer? keep in mind that i don't wanna study engineering , i dont like all of those math courses, algebra, physics ... do they teach it in universities or do i have to sign up in an institute?

I dont think there's a career such as "ui design" but there must a "web design" right? there must a "branch" in graphic design, i dont think im right for grphic design since im terrible at drawing what do you guys think ?

Last edited:
I

I_am_Error

It would be IT where I'm going to college. That would include html, mySQL, php, and some other happy fun stuff :) Possibly Javascript.

-How cruel is the golden rule, when the lives we live are all golden plated-

Archer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
Google Pixel 8 Pro
UI design is generally an overlap of developers and graphic designers. A graphic designer is needed to make it look good, but a developer is needed to make it practical. Between them both, you get a good UI. Well, that's the theory anyway.

If you want to do UI design then you need to decide whether you want to do it from the design point of view, or the development point of view. If you want to actually build websites, then go the development route. If you don't, graphic design is probably the best bet.

There's also games development and design, which does have a particular branch that involves GUI design, but that's usually part of a quite heavy games programming course.

I've personally never heard of a UI design course. I'm not saying that there isn't one, but after 15 years in the industry I've never heard of anyone doing it as a job, either, other than in games development.

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
UI design is generally an overlap of developers and graphic designers. A graphic designer is needed to make it look good, but a developer is needed to make it practical. Between them both, you get a good UI. Well, that's the theory anyway.

If you want to do UI design then you need to decide whether you want to do it from the design point of view, or the development point of view. If you want to actually build websites, then go the development route. If you don't, graphic design is probably the best bet.

There's also games development and design, which does have a particular branch that involves GUI design, but that's usually part of a quite heavy games programming course.

I've personally never heard of a UI design course. I'm not saying that there isn't one, but after 15 years in the industry I've never heard of anyone doing it as a job, either, other than in games development.

Thank you, your reply was really helpful , i want to do it from the design point of view, something i've learned here in xda is that a programmer does not make a good designer and viceversa, sometimes people make great programs but they're hideous, with lack of good taste and too many things/colors going on for example

What about " web design" is there a actually a course for that? :confused:

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Yup, i studied that. Okay, not web design, but that was included. I studied multimedia design. That included web design, 3D, photography, and film.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

Scabes24

Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 24, 2008
Seattle, WA
Thank you, your reply was really helpful , i want to do it from the design point of view, something i've learned here in xda is that a programmer does not make a good designer and viceversa, sometimes people make great programs but they're hideous, with lack of good taste and too many things/colors going on for example

What about " web design" is there a actually a course for that? :confused:
I attended a graphic design program (contuing education) at a college nearby. If you're looking to learn the basics (illustrator, PS, InDesign.. etc.) Then I was would start there. But if you're already familiar with image editing and want to learn how to apply it to mobile UI design you can start by looking here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=916814. But like John mentioned, there are two types of designing regarding UI.. basic modifying of images in the system is quit simple and only requires image editing software and 7zip (might want to learn how to edit mode.9/9patch and m10 images correctly as well). But if you're looking to do some of the more advanced designing you will need to do a bit of reading/searching. Thankfully, you can find all the info here at XDA. :)

Sent from my HTC Flyer.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
I only studied for 1 year, but i did plan on 4 years with 3 of those in Australia, but i got bored and stopped after one. And it was pricey. 20K per year.

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
I attended a graphic design program (contuing education) at a college nearby. If you're looking to learn the basics (illustrator, PS, InDesign.. etc.) Then I was would start there. But if you're already familiar with image editing and want to learn how to apply it to mobile UI design you can start by looking here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=916814. But like John mentioned, there are two types of designing regarding UI.. basic modifying of images in the system is quit simple and only requires image editing software and 7zip (might want to learn how to edit mode.9/9patch and m10 images correctly as well). But if you're looking to do some of the more advanced designing you will need to do a bit of reading/searching. Thankfully, you can find all the info here at XDA. :)

Sent from my HTC Flyer.

Did you have a degree before studing graphic design? I need to know basics , since i know nothing, i just have my highschool degree, i want to do this as my career, not just a hobby

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
I know you're not asking me, but i did not have a degree in "graphics" before i started. It was a private school, so if you show them some "dineros", you're in. But hey, you have to learn it from some place ney? It doesn't hurt knowing some basic stuff in PS or Illustrator though.

Archer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
Google Pixel 8 Pro
In fairness, there's a LOT of online tutorials for learning techniques in all the popular design/illustration apps. It certainly wouldn't do any harm to get a head start.

ralphak

Nov 3, 2011
You do not need to excel at drawing to study graphic art. You just need an eye for design and color; the rest can be learned at school. Having said that, talent is extremely important to find success as a graphic artist/designer.

Web design courses are usually included in graphic arts program, but you may also find exclusive web design programs. There’s one web design and development program at California College San Diego that trains graduates in both front-end design and back-end development of websites. Find more details on the link below:
cc-sd.edu/graphic-arts/bachelors/web-design-and-development

hiu115

Jun 28, 2011
Dallas, TX
You do not need to excel at drawing to study graphic art. You just need an eye for design and color; the rest can be learned at school. Having said that, talent is extremely important to find success as a graphic artist/designer.

Web design courses are usually included in graphic arts program, but you may also find exclusive web design programs. There’s one web design and development program at California College San Diego that trains graduates in both front-end design and back-end development of websites. Find more details on the link below:
cc-sd.edu/graphic-arts/bachelors/web-design-and-development

good one

Now THIS is the example of not trying to pass the 10 post limit by spamming... Get that Noobs? :mad::):D;)