Multiboot Linux on Infinity tf700 v0.8.3 (project closed)

Search This thread

gennro

Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, I'm already dive into it. Ubuntu Touch using android to boot & show its qml view. This is interesting, but really hard to pack in separated rootfs.

Once the porting guide is up tomorrow and I have some time I am going to work on getting the Nexus 7 image working on the TF700. I tried getting it working on my Nexus 7 but all I got was a soft brick. I am running PA 3.0 on it so that may of caused it because I think the installer is expecting a stock rom to be installed.

Solarusj

Feb 18, 2010
The .80 Build Problems

Guys

I like one or 2 others here at the moment have had a problem trying to get the new build working. I can get the installer working no problem and Ubuntu boots no problem but I have no wireless conectivity. By default I get very little to no Wireless options at all and then if I increase the permissions on NetworkManager file to 777 I get Wireless options come up but it states WLAN0 not available.

When the installation happens does it do a full wipe of the SD card/partition first to clear any possible corruptions in existing data/files (I am using the SD card in the keyboard)?

aros1975

Aug 5, 2009
Is there any way to connect to AP with hidden SSID?
Of course, I can change it to not hidden and connect, but I need to stay with hidden SSID of my AP.

Last edited:

rabits

Nov 25, 2012
St.Petersburg
Ubuntu Touch

So, I have some news:
  • I will prepare Ubuntu Touch tar-archive for my updated 0.8.1 installer & bootloader at this weekend)) This is really interesting and good experience! Ubuntu based on low-level android binaries - this is a very interesting solution, which is a clear way in the future.
  • Also I change my basic Android from CROMI to CM.

saugstauber

Jun 15, 2011
www.youtube.com
So, I have some news:
  • I will prepare Ubuntu Touch tar-archive for my updated 0.8.1 installer & bootloader at this weekend)) This is really interesting and good experience! Ubuntu based on low-level android binaries - this is a very interesting solution, which is a clear way in the future.

Thanks for your great developmental rabits!
Will CROMI be still supported/dual-boot able, even when you are on CM?
Keep up this awesome work.:good:

GCq1w2e3

Aug 10, 2012
Rabits, thank you for everything, this stuff is great.

Just a general question for anyone who might have an answer for a curious me.

Adobe flash isnt supported on arm devices right? youtube doesn't work, however I recently went over on reddit and played a youtube video within their site (with the play+ button that shows up under post titles). What sort of magic is happening here?

Also, firefox is running deathly slow, chromium and stock browser working very smoothly. Got xfce desktop environment and compiz, it's a fantastic combo and I highly recommend it for anyone playing around with this.

BloomTwig

Oct 12, 2011
Stockholm
Sv: Native Ubuntu Linux on Infinity tf700

Thanks! So if I back up all the program-specific dot-folders, will I be able to restore program data if I reinstall the program and copy my old files back?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

rtfpessoa

Dec 30, 2010
Lisbon
Once the porting guide is up tomorrow and I have some time I am going to work on getting the Nexus 7 image working on the TF700. I tried getting it working on my Nexus 7 but all I got was a soft brick. I am running PA 3.0 on it so that may of caused it because I think the installer is expecting a stock rom to be installed.

I installed it on my GN when on CM10.1 so custom rom should be no problem since it cleans system and data stuff.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

So, I have some news:

Can you give me one fast explanation about this ubuntu touch?
Is it really ubuntu? or is it just some kind of android with a fancy launcher?
Do we have all the ubuntu power like the terminal and can we install apps like in the actual version?
Are you planning to abandon the current ubuntu format?

singoutout

Sep 8, 2011
Re: Native Ubuntu Linux on Infinity tf700 v0.8.0

Thanks for your great developmental rabits!
Will CROMI be still supported/dual-boot able, even when you are on CM?
Keep up this awesome work.:good:

+1

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

I installed it on my GN when on CM10.1 so custom rom should be no problem since it cleans system and data stuff.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Can you give me one fast explanation about this ubuntu touch?
Is it really ubuntu? or is it just some kind of android with a fancy launcher?
Do we have all the ubuntu power like the terminal and can we install apps like in the actual version?
Are you planning to abandon the current ubuntu format?

This new Ubuntu tablet is optimized for tablet. It has a kind of Unity ui and is I think very attractive because you can take advantage of the whole screen all the time. It is also supposed to have a normal desktop version that is accessible at any time (or only when a keyboard and a mouse or connected, I don't remember).

I am not sure if using compiz and stuff will be possible on the desktop part of this new version. I do not think either the installation of other desktop environments will be possible. Let's wait and see ;(

spidasense

Feb 19, 2013
ok so I am on clean rom inheretence 3.3 and was just waiting to flash this to see if it works. and it works like a freakin charm. thank you developers! I know its just going to get better as well! does anyone know if wine would work on this? I want to try to get league of legends running this baby and see if it works. this is awesome thank you guys again

spidasense

Feb 19, 2013

sorry dude wish I could help. all I can say is when I flashed it a couple of times it stopped at a certain place on the command list and would reboot. at one point it kept doing the smae thingfor a while. then I rebooted it with hardware buttons and it just worked.

question to op or anyone who knows, am I able to install wine with this? it is 12.10 ubuntu right?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

spidasense

Feb 19, 2013

How to get flash player on Ubuntu :eek: ?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using xda app-developers app

Uvedale

Sep 11, 2009

Tried to use the installer, but it just stops at 90% (extracting rootfs).
I've tried installing it to both an SD card and internal memory. I left it for over half an hour at 90% before I restarted.

Any suggestions? Where does the installer put the log file?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

rtfpessoa

Dec 30, 2010
Lisbon
Tried to use the installer, but it just stops at 90% (extracting rootfs).
I've tried installing it to both an SD card and internal memory. I left it for over half an hour at 90% before I restarted.

Any suggestions? Where does the installer put the log file?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

It takes a lot at 90% but never like 30 minutes.
Try to delete all stuff and try it clean with the installer and the rootfs in the device memory not in the sdcard.

remove:
/data/ubuntu
/data/media/linux

Then just start the process and leave the tablet alone for 20 minutes, really alone.

neunon

Apr 11, 2011
Seattle
Got it installed, but am now having some interesting problems.

Code:
# getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN
# head /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/online
==> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/online <==

==> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online <==

==> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/online <==

==> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/online <==

For whatever reason, CPUs 1-3 are offline and refuse to come online:

Code:
# cd /sys/devices/system/cpu
# echo 1 > cpu1/online
# cat cpu1/online

dmesg says its booting the CPU then shuts it right back down. Unfortunately it doesn't provide any insight into this decision:

Code:
[ 2051.521460] CPU1: Booted secondary processor
[ 2051.521727]  tegra_cpu_init : emc_clk->min_rate to 204M
[ 2051.525034] Switched to NOHz mode on CPU #1
[ 2051.615318] cpu_down(1)+
[ 2051.907510] CPU1: shutdown
[ 2051.914031] cpu_down(1)-
[ 2052.398490] cpu ext_temperature=36

Anyone seen this before and/or have solutions?

Also, is there a git tree for this kernel? Where's the boot configuration stored (e.g kernel image, boot command line, etc)?

seven2099

Sep 14, 2010
Montreal
Hello

Great work!! Cheers from canada

Do you guys know any way we can easily resize the Ambiance theme to be a bit more touch friendly?

Looking forwards to further updates, esp with that touch interface dev preview.

Great stuff so far!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, Guys

Currently I'm working on preparing Linux boot and rootfs image for tf700 device.
    Project is based on Nexus 7 Ubuntu installer, Linaro distribution and Hundsbuah kernel.

Release version 0.8.3

Developers thread is here

Warning!
    • You can brick your device or loose all your data. I'm not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. Please, be careful.
    • This manual has been prepared for the advanced users. You are an advanced user?
      • You have linux experience
      • If there is a problem - you contact support and provide all the necessary information (devices info, steps to reproduce, logs)
    • Please, change password for ubuntu user at first login. Default password is "ubuntu".

Components:
    This system consists of several components:

Installer (v0.8.3)
    - is standart Android ZIP update file with Aroma interface.
    Features:
    • Pretty simple touch interface
    • Installing and usage Linux without a keyboard or dock
    • Detailed localization of install process (rus, eng)
    • Any device to install rootfs (usb media, sdcards or internal virtual disk file)
    • You can skip rootfs preparation and install only bootimage (if dualboot has been replaced by another installation)
    • Data2sd option supported
    • Use android /data partition as /home directory for users
    • Autobackup of old virtual rootfs image file and ubuntu user
    • Select boot priority - you can select default system to boot (Basic or Linux)
    Next release features:
    • Review of initrd options scheme
    • Install additional system to directory
    • Rootfs archive finder search maxdepth 3
    • Save log into internal memory
    attachment.php

Bootimage (v0.8.3)
    - contains Linux kernel (zImage) and initial ramdisk (initramfs). It is created during installation and stored in a special LNX partition on your device.
    Features:
    • Support of many basic systems - Android (CleanROMv3.x, CleanROMv3.x+Data2SD, CM10.x) and Ubuntu-Touch
    • Any media booting - you can boot SDcard, microSD or usbdisk
    • Virtual Disk multiboot - possible to select need virtual disk (up to 9)
    • Android & Ubuntu-Touch booting - can boot android system init from media or virtual disks
    • File system checker - before mounting filesystem should be checked by fsck.
    • Hundsbuah kernel - v2.1 optimized kernel
    Next release features:
    • Support for 4.2 android (CleanROMv4.x)
    • Run additional system from directory
    attachment.php

RootFS archive
    - compressed tar archive with root file system of OS. It is unpacked during installation to a prepared ext4 filesystem (in file or media device).
    • Ubuntu 12.10 (v0.8.0)
      Archive contain prepared Ubuntu 12.10 environment with last updates, based on Unity (3d) with Cube Desktop. You can install any software (like lxdm or xfce) to improve desktop performance, but (for now) only Unity will be supported.
      Features:
      • Pad-mode - you can use your device as pad without dock
      • Keyboard remapping - Special keys is replaced to default (Esc, F1-12, Ins, Print, Break, Del, Home->Alt, Search->Meta4) by evdev keymap.
      • WiFi - You can connect to internet or lan through wifi
      • Touchpad 2 fingers scrolling - Move 2 fingers up-down to scrolling. 2 finger tap - is mouse 3rd button.
      • Touchscreen - Supports right click by touch one finger and click by second finger.
      • OpenGL ES - 3D, games (eduke32, Jagged Alliance 2) and nice browsing by Chromium
      • Audio and Video up to 1080p - Use nvgstplayer to HW decoding FullHD video
        • nvgstplayer --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Fullscreen mode
        • nvgstplayer --svs="nvxvimagesink" --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Window mode
      Problems:
      • Unity has some problems with performance and ram eating - this is place for optimizations.
      • Going to suspend is freezing device
      • HDMI FullHD is not working (but HD is ok)
      • Bluetooth not working
      • Disable speaker if headphones connected
      • Totem is not support nvidia gstreamer plugins
      • No flash player - only HTML5
      • Skype and any proprietary software (we need ARM binary, not x86)
    • Ubuntu-Touch preview (v0.5.2 2013/03/25)
      Features:
      • Smooth touch interface
      • WiFi support (fixed)
      • Frontal Camera
    • Ubuntu 13.04 - development
      First release features:
      • Packages for specific tf700t and tegra3 components (tf700 ppa)
      • Wayland + Weston + libhybris optional support

Install Manual:
    For now installation is very simple)) No console operations needed!

Requirements:
    • Access to recovery & zip upgrade
    • > 3Gb free space in tf700 /sdcard folder or external storage
    Process:
    1. Get linux-install-0.8.3.zip (12 Mb), (mirror) MD5: 46e458791d232dafa7df49a7b506beca
    2. Get need rootfs:
    3. Copy linux-install-*.zip and rootfs-*.tar.lzma to your SDcard or /sdcard on your tf700
    4. Reboot to recovery mode
    5. Run linux-install-*.zip
    6. Next, next, next ))
    7. Wait, wait...
    8. Done, now you can reboot and see four penguins!
    9. If you have a problem with installation process - please, save install log and attach it to your help request message with good description.

Uninstall:
    Really? I feel so sad :p
    To complete uninstall multiboot & linux you need:
    • Reinstall your Android distributive or kernel part of it (this is replaces bootimage with multiboot)
    • Remove /data/media/linux directory with linux root file systems

Epilogue:
    Currently we have basic linux environment with graphics and internet. For now, Android is more friendly to the user on a Tablet PC, but we can tilt the balance to Ubuntu advantage.

If you have any question about usage - please, post it here.
    Sorry, guys, at the moment I do not have much time for supporting. All general ubuntu questions - please search in google (such as mounting sdcard, etc.).
    I am currently working on the problems with the complete installation by Aroma, migrate to Ubuntu Raring 13.04, problem of the font size, correcting of keyboard keymap, problem with suspend to RAM, totem HW video decoding...

Next release (0.8.0) will be released in near 2 weeks.
    Ubuntu Touch

So, I have some news:
    Really appreciate you effort! Why not post this in the developers forum, where you might get some good inputs from other brainy people like yourself. :eek:
    I would like to prepare this howto (after stabilization and fixing minor bugs) for general users. But thanx for you response - brainy people do not come here?
    How does this vary from the other Ubuntu effort? Why not combine resources?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1988170

That would be great! At the moment I'm trying to run their environment using fastboot and find differences. I already sent message to jaybob413 and we try to combine our resources.