Nexus 4 USB Issue

Search This thread

cyanisblue

May 9, 2012
Auckland
I'm having a problem with my Nexus 4 that when I connect it to my laptop, I get a message saying "one of the devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned" and shows as "Unknown Device" in device manager. It doesn't show up in my computer. I've made sure MTP is enabled on the phone. I've tried different cables, tried uninstalling drivers and installing the latest official usb drivers. I've tried another computer and same problem. I found this thread saying that it could be a hardware problem. Phone is still under warranty but I have bootloader unlocked and a custom recovery with a stock rom but with no way of returning to complete stock.

Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

uchihakurtz

Jan 5, 2013
Depok
Samsung Galaxy S21
No my laptop is running Windows 7 and also tried it on a Windows 8 Laptop.

Yeah, most probably hardware failure on the phone. You can return to complete stock by following this guide, unroot, then locking the bootloader I think. There should be guides everywhere in the forum. After that you can claim warranty, some places doesn't even check the state of the phone but just to be safe. Good luck dude.

Reactions: cyanisblue

cyanisblue

May 9, 2012
Auckland
Yeah, most probably hardware failure on the phone. You can return to complete stock by following this guide, unroot, then locking the bootloader I think. There should be guides everywhere in the forum. After that you can claim warranty, some places doesn't even check the state of the phone but just to be safe. Good luck dude.

How can flash factory image and lock bootloader if I can't get adb/fastboot to work? It won't recognize the device at all.

cyanisblue

May 9, 2012
Auckland
Oh right, dang. I think the work around is to find a flashable zip of stock ROM and maybe an app that can relock bootloader directly. I'll try finding some when I'm surfing.

Sent from my blazing fast Nexus 4

I found this app which can lock the bootloader and I've found a flashable stock 4.4 recovery.

Which order would I do all this in.

Would I flash stock 4.4 recovery zip then run lock bootloader app then full unroot in supersu?

Edit: Bootloader is locked and stock recovery installed now, all that's remaining is supersu which I can just use the unroot function.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No my laptop is running Windows 7 and also tried it on a Windows 8 Laptop.

How can flash factory image and lock bootloader if I can't get adb/fastboot to work? It won't recognize the device at all.

Oh right, dang. I think the work around is to find a flashable zip of stock ROM and maybe an app that can relock bootloader directly. I'll try finding some when I'm surfing.

Sent from my blazing fast Nexus 4
    I think it's safe to lock the bootloader then unroot, since unlocking bootloader is only used to install custom recoveries not rooting.

I ended up reflashing stock leaving the bootloader locked and then flashing stock recovery after. I'm going to take it back later this week.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    I ended up reflashing stock leaving the bootloader locked and then flashing stock recovery after. I'm going to take it back later this week.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

You're welcome bro, good luck and I hope your mako gets well soon ;)