Ubuntu Installer on Play Store

Search This thread

justPorter

Sep 20, 2011
Yes, Xfce I find works well. Just did not know how much effort you might be willing to put into it :)

Bit of advice - don't use "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" to change to Xfce. That wants to install a ton of stuff that is not needed. Just try installing the the meta package "xfce4" and then add the other bits you want. I then removed the Unity desktop and it booted straight in to Xfce.

Edit: Actually, in this 12.04 image doing "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" does not appear to be as bad. A previous image wanted to download 750Mb of stuff!

Edit2: Oh, and to get xfce loading instead of Unity, you need to edit /root/.vnx/xstartup and change the last line:

/etc/X11/Xsession

to be

startxfce4

..then restart the linux chroot by typing exit

well, i got xfce4 working, but firefox is dead and i installed chrome but it wont run as root, i made another user and told chrome to use that data dir and it dies when i try to render a page. arrghh.. how are you guys browsing? i wanted to setup a browser with java plugin as android does not have java, go figure.

also note for other users out there, you need to edit the file /root/.vnc/xstartup, i also did a apt-get install nano for easier editing and i cannot stand vi. :)

Last edited:

justPorter

Sep 20, 2011
i got lucky and found that the following commands get the ubuntu software center working again in 10.

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"
sudo apt-get update

got my java plugin working, and installed a bunch of apps. chrome runs but renders a blank screen. :( firefox does work though, playing with different vnc clients to see which ones work best.

yipee.

RubenRybnik

Jan 6, 2012
Cary, NC
i got lucky and found that the following commands get the ubuntu software center working again in 10.

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"
sudo apt-get update

got my java plugin working, and installed a bunch of apps. chrome runs but renders a blank screen. :( firefox does work though, playing with different vnc clients to see which ones work best.

yipee.

Definetly check out the other thread mentioned in this one lots of good info there, let me know how your vnc client search goes, i've only used jump desktop so far which seems pretty good, but I'm open to others if it works. I heard splashtop hd is good which comes with the prime, but I don't know how to download it from asus since I flashed aokp before I went into the cloud app ... Does anyone know how to get it? Do I have to restore my stock rom and then get it, backup with Titanium and then restore aokp?

also stick with ubuntu 10 for now, 12 is a mess currently, dev says hes working on some fixes for a new image. Also saw that someone was able to run the x desktop in native mode without having to use vnc, it's still buggy but he said it works, haven't tried it yet, but that's very hopeful.

barryflanagan

Aug 17, 2009
Dublin
barry.flanagan.ie
Definetly check out the other thread mentioned in this one lots of good info there, let me know how your vnc client search goes, i've only used jump desktop so far which seems pretty good, but I'm open to others if it works. I heard splashtop hd is good which comes with the prime, but I don't know how to download it from asus since I flashed aokp before I went into the cloud app ... Does anyone know how to get it? Do I have to restore my stock rom and then get it, backup with Titanium and then restore aokp?

Splash desktop if not a vnc client. It requires it's own server app running on windows only, so is no good for this.

barryflanagan

Aug 17, 2009
Dublin
barry.flanagan.ie

hajalie24

Apr 9, 2011
Yes, Xfce I find works well. Just did not know how much effort you might be willing to put into it :)

Bit of advice - don't use "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" to change to Xfce. That wants to install a ton of stuff that is not needed. Just try installing the the meta package "xfce4" and then add the other bits you want. I then removed the Unity desktop and it booted straight in to Xfce.

Edit: Actually, in this 12.04 image doing "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" does not appear to be as bad. A previous image wanted to download 750Mb of stuff!

Edit2: Oh, and to get xfce loading instead of Unity, you need to edit /root/.vnx/xstartup and change the last line:

/etc/X11/Xsession

to be

startxfce4

Thanks! since I'm new to Linux this guide was a bittricky but I figured it out. works much better now!

nonpaq

Jun 8, 2007
NY
Paid app has been updated in the PLAY store. Now has link to new script (v7) and link to 12.04 stable (v2 image). New script adds non-SU user login, and setting a default resolution. Image downloads now have options for Torrent or Sourceforge link. (No longer dedicated FTP downloads) Torrent will need an app to work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    will installing ubuntu thru this app break future ota updates? I do have root, but i only use it for a working ipsec vpn right now

No it shouldn't have any affect. It does not touch anything outside of /data/local (or wherever you install the ubuntu.img file - could be your sdcard) - no system files are changed.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Anyone having problems unzipping the beta Ubuntu 12.04 Full V1 download to get the image file? I've tried various unzip tools, and multiple download attempts, and it always comes up corrupt. The 12.04 small works fairly well.

I think there was an issue with the Full V1 file. The dev re-uploaded today so you might try it again. However, the default Unity interface on Full does not seem to work on the Prime for whatever reason (Tegra 3 differences it has been said) so it might not be worth the effort until that is fixed. Firefox also does not work (I have never got Firefox of Chrome to work on any of these builds)

The older Ubuntu version (10.10 was it?) works fine, except Firefox just crashes, and Midori is the only currently working browser

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Do you have to unlock prime to use this? I have root, but it says something about needing kernel or something on the app.

Your kernel needs to support the loop device which is the way that the ubuntu.img file gets "mounted" on the system. I dont recall if the stock kernel supports this but I would be surprised if it doesn't
    Do you have to unlock prime to use this? I have root, but it says something about needing kernel or something on the app.
    Stock kernel apparently has the loop device, as I have been able to run Ubuntu on stock (rooted of course).

Thanks for info on new upload of 12.04 full. Didnt you say you installed Xfce and 12.04 worked well?

/etc/X11/Xsession

to be

startxfce4

Ah, I see. But what use has ubuntu without the GUI? I'm obviously new to this, but I assumed that you could use the ubuntu OS offline. Like open and use programs like open office. How would you be using ubuntu if you were at a place without internet?

I think you're a little confused here. When you run the Ubuntu installer( The one click boot with the app ) it basically mounts whatever storage and img it needs then starts a remoted desktop ( VNC in linux ) session. Then you get a VNC Client off the app store, and you connect to that session to the machine itself. So basically you connect to 127.0.0.1 which is 'localhost' meaning you don't need networking in the terms of "internet access". That being said, if you do have internet access then you can use browsers and such within Ubuntu from withing the remote session( Inside the VNC client )

I'd suggest maybe doing some googling on Ubuntu and VNC and remote sessions to get an idea. It's not too technical, but it'll help you understand what's going on a little better.