[Q] Does a Nandroid backup back up recovery as well?

Search This thread

longphant

Jul 17, 2010
I have the Verizon Galaxy S3.

I had no modifications on my phone at all; it was stock everything. I wanted to install Hyperdrive on the phone so I went through the usual steps.

1) Root
2) Flash CWM
3) Create nandroid back up within CWM
4) Flash Hyperdrive ROM

I used Hyperdrive for a few weeks, but then I wanted to go back to stock, so I restored my backup. I was on stock for another few months and then OTA updates started coming in. I know that I cannot install OTA updates with a custom recovery. (I assumed I still had CWM)

So here is the thing...I thought that the backup I made was in the state of being rooted with CWM and stock ROM. So I assumed that after restoring the backup, I was rooted with CWM and stock ROM. So I double checked and found that I was not rooted and I had stock recovery installed. Does anyone know how this happened?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011

I had no modifications on my phone at all; it was stock everything. I wanted to install Hyperdrive on the phone so I went through the usual steps.

1) Root
2) Flash CWM
4) Flash Hyperdrive ROM

I used Hyperdrive for a few weeks, but then I wanted to go back to stock, so I restored my backup. I was on stock for another few months and then OTA updates started coming in. I know that I cannot install OTA updates with a custom recovery. (I assumed I still had CWM)

So here is the thing...I thought that the backup I made was in the state of being rooted with CWM and stock ROM. So I assumed that after restoring the backup, I was rooted with CWM and stock ROM. So I double checked and found that I was not rooted and I had stock recovery installed. Does anyone know how this happened?

After you rooted and installed CWM did you let your phone bootup first, then boot back down into CWM then do the backup? Seems like you didn't do that. Your Root, CWM did not loaded when you run the CWM backup.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013

1) Root
2) Flash CWM
4) Flash Hyperdrive ROM

It does not backup your recovery, but you can backup your recovery partition separately. If you restore to stock it will still nag you to update. To stop it you need to freeze sdm1.0 and rename fwupdater.apk.

The update should fail, but if you're unlucky it'll go through enough to lock you down and stick you on 4.3. So either change the rom as soon as possible or freeze and rename the apks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

longphant

Jul 17, 2010
I believe I used a 1 step script to root and install my recovery. Something very similar to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2332825

I had my phone booted up, plugged into my PC and I allowed the 1-click script root it install CWM. Then I rebooted into CWM, and did a backup. So by not rebooting my phone after doing all this, then the root and CWM were not in the backup? Why is that the case? if I am able to boot into CWM, doesn't that mean the CWM already sits in my recovery partition? Thus, if I do a backup of it, shouldn't I get CWM in the recovery?

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I believe I used a 1 step script to root and install my recovery. Something very similar to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2332825

I had my phone booted up, plugged into my PC and I allowed the 1-click script root it install CWM. Then I rebooted into CWM, and did a backup. So by not rebooting my phone after doing all this, then the root and CWM were not in the backup? Why is that the case? if I am able to boot into CWM, doesn't that mean the CWM already sits in my recovery partition? Thus, if I do a backup of it, shouldn't I get CWM in the recovery?

A nandroid doesn't backup your recovery, only your data, sd card, and caches. It's the same cwm installed by casual.

longphant

Jul 17, 2010
If that's the case, then how could I possibly be on stock recovery? I definitely needed CWM to install Hyperdrive and to create the Nandroid backup that I used to restore.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Currently I'm not running latest cwm, but I'm runing TWRP and it does backup recovery and efs by default. I'm sure that cwm can do the same but is it set by default? I don't know. here the info I found on cwm:

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/3563/image6resize.png

Some roms are capable of reinstalling a stock recovery. Sometimes if it's not taken out of a rom, it will sense you have a custom recovery and reinstall the stock recovery over it.

Most of the time it's taken out of the touchwiz roms, but I guess in this case it wasn't.

That's the only way it could happen.

Additionally, that isn't even cwm, that's philz touch recovery, those features are unique to that recovery only.

Last edited: