Reicast (Dreamcast emulator)

Search This thread

daillest319

Apr 27, 2014
This emulator play great on the Amazon Fire TV :D. Just finished playing a few rounds of power stone 2 and it plays and look great. So happy with this purchase so far. I cannot wait for this to be rooted hopefully that usb port will allow for external hard drive to be plug in.

Apr 16, 2011
I uploaded reicast and it works pretty well. Much better than expected. I haven't played very many games yet, but the ones I've tried have worked well. I am getting a little bit of controller lag (nyko playpad) but I think that might be the controller.

Noob question....how do you get the games for these emulators?

lilcza1

Aug 14, 2007
How to get the best out of your reicast

I came across an issue that im not sure you guys have come across yet, but previously we had to put games on 50hz to let some of them run.

Now that we have This box running a real GPU, we can run games at true full speed by putting it on 60hz getting you 60 fps.

Im using a non powered usb hub with my Dual Shock 4 Controller Wired and a usb mouse with no issues.

Strangely, games that do not provide the option like the american version of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 USA are locked at 50hz unless you get a jap ntsc version. You may want to test this out by turning on the FPS option to see if thats causing your gameplay lag.

The other issue is that Sonic Adventure and Marvel Vs Capcom both give Kernel Panics.

Have you guys experienced this?

bam099

Aug 19, 2004
This emulator play great on the Amazon Fire TV :D. Just finished playing a few rounds of power stone 2 and it plays and look great. So happy with this purchase so far. I cannot wait for this to be rooted hopefully that usb port will allow for external hard drive to be plug in.

This is great news!! Man I actually just pulled my Dreamcast out of storage the other day for some Berserk....very very cool that the Fire TV can play this well. I know this isn't EXACTLY where we should post these things, but can you guys sort of put a compatibility list together with what games you played and how they worked? Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

muriani

Nov 3, 2009
There is a WIP compatiblity list at http://wiki.reicast.com/index.php/Reicast_Compatibility_List
It's a little outdated, most of the results are from r5 at the latest. There *are* some issues with Reicast r6 and Qualcomm chips that people have reported, but I've had no issues with it on my Nexus5.
Most of their testing is on Tegra4 (Shield) because nVidia actually gave them one to support the project.
Some controllers, like the Moga supposedly don't work right with r6 either.

r7 is supposed to be coming soon, though. Not sure what all that'll bring.

Games that for sure don't work: ANYTHING that's WinCE based, because there's no MMU support in the emulator.

bam099

Aug 19, 2004
There is a WIP compatiblity list at http://wiki.reicast.com/index.php/Reicast_Compatibility_List
It's a little outdated, most of the results are from r5 at the latest. There *are* some issues with Reicast r6 and Qualcomm chips that people have reported, but I've had no issues with it on my Nexus5.
Most of their testing is on Tegra4 (Shield) because nVidia actually gave them one to support the project.
Some controllers, like the Moga supposedly don't work right with r6 either.

r7 is supposed to be coming soon, though. Not sure what all that'll bring.

Games that for sure don't work: ANYTHING that's WinCE based, because there's no MMU support in the emulator.

That's awesome thank you. I didn't see the Berserk game listed but I'm guessing it's probably not compatible yet. Very neat that they're doing this though. I remember NBA2k and Virtua Tennis were the jam!

muriani

Nov 3, 2009
The 360 controller seems to work beautifully on the FireTV.
As far as emulators, sideload and see. RetroArch runs I think, which handles a lot of systems.
There's another thread on this topic IIRC.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
I posted about SuperN64 no longer being in the Play Store,and gave out some links to it in a different thread.
It works excellently,even with HQ4X.

The main one to get normally is Mupen64Plus AE Free,but that one is a bit slower than SuperN64.
The only downside with SuperN64 is the ads when exiting the app,which are sometimes video ads,but you
can just cancel them out with the Home button.

Here is information about SuperN64 and the developer name which is also there.

h**t**t**p://xmarcos-santiago.android.informer.com/

Stars and random x to prevent BS.

I hate how EVERY post made requires the stupid image verification. :mad:

deanemj

May 2, 2014
I posted about SuperN64 no longer being in the Play Store,and gave out some links to it in a different thread.
It works excellently,even with HQ4X.

The main one to get normally is Mupen64Plus AE Free,but that one is a bit slower than SuperN64.
The only downside with SuperN64 is the ads when exiting the app,which are sometimes video ads,but you
can just cancel them out with the Home button.

Here is information about SuperN64 and the developer name which is also there.

h**t**t**p://xmarcos-santiago.android.informer.com/

Stars and random x to prevent BS.

I hate how EVERY post made requires the stupid image verification. :mad:

I went to the site you provided but I can't see a download link. It just says, like you wrote, not found on the Play Store.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
The link is just about the information and the developer name.

I already posted the link to an apk download in this thread below including another market that happens to have the free app.

h**t**t**p://gxdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52781805&postcount=63

Stars,random g,no BS.

Too many places require you to wait until a certain post count for posting useful links.
Stupid advertisement link spamming a-holes.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Long time,nobody posting.
Why?

I got another "link" to show here.

h**t**t**p://xmryadro.ru/reicast/

Remove stars and bolded x to get the link.
I fail at using google search to find it directly for easy access on Fire TV.

The page is a list of debug version APKs of Reicast you can download.
One of them is fom the 27th of this month. (two days ago)

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
I grabbed the 5/27 debug build and tested it with SA2 which causes reboots.
Apart from the pure BULLSH** of lacking analog mapping support,I did manage to beat City Escape in Interpreter and Software modes which ran quite fast considering that it is interpreter.
It did not freeze up for several seconds like recompiler does.
The problem is that it STILL rebooted after the results screen ends and the next part starts loading. (F-king HATE Qualcomm)
I used a 700MB+ CDI image of Sonic Adventure 2 for this test.

I wish that the NullDCe Android Alpha 0.1 would successfully boot SA2 gdi so I can see if the performance is half decent.
Even though there is no hard button input at all and that the screen shrinks to match a phone's resolution.

I wish that Chankast or Makaron would get ported to Android so we can see if they will not cause rebooting.
Though I did reply in the Reicast Forums with an idea for Reicast to have an underclocked core setting to make it not reboot on Qualcomm devices.

muriani

Nov 3, 2009
The only reason reicast runs so well is due to a new arm dynarec core and a lot of streamlining overall, which NullDCe lacks.
The issues with SA2 are known, I believe, as well as controller problems that ended up broken in r6.
Chankast isn't open IIRC, and NullDC has far better compatibility anyway. Reicast is the evolution of NullDC, but a lot is having to be rebuilt from scratch, and plans to eventually be even better that NullDC is.
Also, Qualcomm's a *****. Their GPU drivers are among the worst nowadays.

Good info on issues is going to be on the project's github, in the issues tracker.
angelxwind has a buildbot for the project as well, which should have the latest buildable package here: http://reicast.angelxwind.net/?page/downloads

Remember that this is something a few people are doing in their spare time. They're not getting paid, they're not charging for the app. It's a bloody miracle that it works as well as it does.

Dynagem

Apr 21, 2009
Miami

How are games being loaded to the FTV? What adb method and to what destination path?

shanecrow99

May 16, 2010
How are games being loaded to the FTV? What adb method and to what destination path?

I wouldn't load them the way you are thinking of. What you need to do is put all of your Dreamcast ROMS into a folder on your PC and share it out to your network. Now get on your FTV and download ES File Manager and go to the "network" tab. Plug in the IP address of your PC creating the link between the FTV and your PC. Now you should be able to click on the PC icon in ES File Manager and see the folder that you shared out earlier. Now it is just a matter of copying and pasting the ROMS folder wherever you need them to be on your FTV.

So basically you are "pulling" your data from your PC to your FTV instead of "pushing" from your PC to your FTV. You have WAY more control over where your files end up on your FTV this way.

Top Liked Posts