The Samsung Galaxy note HAS GORILLA GLASS

Search This thread

xAnimal5

Oct 14, 2011
This has been confirmed by dozens of XDA members who have gone above and beyond to confirm that it is indeed Gorilla Glass in the Note.

Ever since the release date, the feud over Gorilla Glass began and it ended a week later. Dozens of members contacted Corning and they said that many devices with gorilla glass are not shown in their list.
®That was for all you going "CORNING SAYZ DA NOTE HAZ NO GORILLA GLAZS"

I have read numerous threads where users have contacted Samsung and have reached the conclusion that it is indeed gorilla glass in our notes. On pretty much all the tech sites, they all list the Note as having Gorilla Glass.

Gorilla glass is Scratch-"resistant" not Scratch "proof" and even if it was Scratch proof, it would not be impervious to everything.
Gorilla Glass isn't magic, it is Glass and like any other Glass, sand can scratch it because Glass is just super heated sand.

Now, to those saying "GORILLA GLAZS IS DESIGNED TO B3 scrATCH PROOF"

Gorilla glass was created in the hopes of reducing shock from falls, to preserve the glass, while also giving adequate scratch resistance.

Hopefully, this will encourage people to spend the $20 on a decent screen protector to protect the $260 screen+ digitizer on their Note.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Reactions: yuvichb

bamboo12

Aug 2, 2010
do you even know what gorilla glass is? even if the glass is made exactly the same way with exactly the same composition as gorilla glass, it's not gorilla glass unless corning says it is! do you have any proof that the galaxy note has gorilla glass? NO! geezz don't waste our time starting a new thread with absolutely no evidence

xAnimal5

Oct 14, 2011
do you even know what gorilla glass is? even if the glass is made exactly the same way with exactly the same composition as gorilla glass, it's not gorilla glass unless corning says it is! do you have any proof that the galaxy note has gorilla glass? NO! geezz don't waste our time starting a new thread with absolutely no evidence

I own 2 other devices with Corning Gorilla Glass; an Acer W500, my Galaxy S2.
I honestly don't think you know what Gorilla Glass is. Google it.
Use the search bar and find the other threads if you want proof, or contact corning yourself.

PROOF
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note-4135.php

Dug up this quote:

"Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don’t see it listed. Ask your manufacturer or retailer to learn more."

Samsung Rep Conversation
Pearl: I understand that you want to know if the Samsung Note phone has Gorilla glass or Normal Galss. Am I correct?
Bitter: yes
Pearl: Thank you for the confirmation.
Pearl: Would you mind holding 3 minutes while I gather the required information on your request?
Bitter: Take your time
Pearl: Thank you.
Pearl: Thank you for holding.
Bitter: Welcome back
Pearl: The Samsung Note has the Gorilla Glass.

1. Gorilla Glass isn't scratch proof (SGSII has 0 scratches while captivate has a few)
2. Samsung and Corning has a partnership (joint company) and may not be using the gorilla glass name. (http://www.scp.samsung.com/)

Last edited:

bamboo12

Aug 2, 2010
I own 2 other devices with Corning Gorilla Glass; an Acer W500, my Galaxy S2.
I honestly don't think you know what Gorilla Glass is. Google it.

Gorilla Glass isn't magic, it is Glass and like any other Glass, sand can scratch it because Glass is just super heated sand.

Gorilla glass was created in the hopes of reducing shock from falls, to preserve the glass, while also giving adequate scratch resistance.

Right! let me enlighten you a little, gorilla glass was never designed to reduce shock from fall, hence if u drop you phone sideways it will crack

gorilla glass isn't made just from sand like other glass, it has aluminium oxide in it (you know.. the stuff sapphires and rubies are made of)

pfft!

macwilson

Dec 4, 2011
Please stop it with the Gorillas will ya. All this Gorilla talk is making me loopy.

Last edited:

vansmuk

Dec 12, 2009
Stockholm
Jesus, therz some stubbornly persistent ppl.
Corning had a patent for making GORILLA GLASS. It doesn't anymore. Once the patent expires, big companies usually start manufacturing their own version of the ex-patented product. it's cheaper and most of the times better, cuz it fits their exact needs. Moreover, sammy and corning play together for quite a while now.
So, NO, the Note doesn't have GORILLA glass but it does have a glass that is the same or better.
chrz and let's hope for no more threads on that sbj. starts to feel like a teen-problem forum here

Reactions: mfractal

dscline

Sep 19, 2007
Atlanta, GA USA
Maybe the mods can create a new sub-forum dedicated to debating the glass used in the Note. That way we can talk about glass all day long without the clutter of less important topics related to using the phone.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I dont understand why people give so much fuss about this issue, ITS A NON ISSUE PEOPLE! Gorilla glass or not it still gets scratched!

Rasumusu

Dec 15, 2011
I got proof!

I asked Samsung myself and they replyed with the answere: Yes, the galaxy note do have Corning´s gorilla glas. We´re sorry for not making this clear.

So there you have it!

Reactions: myself11

litening

Oct 29, 2008
Rotterdam
Damn! I just dropped my Note on the street while walking.

5 foot drop. Scratches on the corners. Part of the plastic rim around one of the edges of the glass jumped away. Glass fortunately still fully intact. No scratches.
Phone operating as before.

Really bummed, but could've been much much worse.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App

hotweiss

Jun 17, 2009
Warsaw
I dropped it on the concrete floor 5 times now, once from a height of 1,5 m - no damage what so ever. Thank-you Samsung for choosing Gorilla Glass.

maxh

May 20, 2006
Austin
I dropped mine ~4ft onto concrete when getting out of my truck and it's practically undamaged. The plastic edge around the screen is scuffed on two corners (which I'll buff out at some point) but the screen is spotless, despite having landed face down. I've enjoyed over 2 months now of a slim, sexy, clear, case-free and screen protector-free phone.

dscline

Sep 19, 2007
Atlanta, GA USA
I've enjoyed over 2 months now of a slim, sexy, clear, case-free and screen protector-free phone.
After all the stories of scratched screens, I went ahead and got an SGP oleophobic screen protector for mine. While scratch protection may not be completely necessary, I will say that smudges are significantly reduced relative to my Galaxy Tab 10.1 with no SP. I'm actually sold on them after using this one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This has been confirmed by dozens of XDA members who have gone above and beyond to confirm that it is indeed Gorilla Glass in the Note.

Ever since the release date, the feud over Gorilla Glass began and it ended a week later. Dozens of members contacted Corning and they said that many devices with gorilla glass are not shown in their list.
    ®That was for all you going "CORNING SAYZ DA NOTE HAZ NO GORILLA GLAZS"

I have read numerous threads where users have contacted Samsung and have reached the conclusion that it is indeed gorilla glass in our notes. On pretty much all the tech sites, they all list the Note as having Gorilla Glass.

Gorilla glass is Scratch-"resistant" not Scratch "proof" and even if it was Scratch proof, it would not be impervious to everything.

Now, to those saying "GORILLA GLAZS IS DESIGNED TO B3 scrATCH PROOF"

Hopefully, this will encourage people to spend the $20 on a decent screen protector to protect the $260 screen+ digitizer on their Note.

Why didn't you use the other 100 threads

GALAXY NOTE
    Jesus, therz some stubbornly persistent ppl.
    Corning had a patent for making GORILLA GLASS. It doesn't anymore. Once the patent expires, big companies usually start manufacturing their own version of the ex-patented product. it's cheaper and most of the times better, cuz it fits their exact needs. Moreover, sammy and corning play together for quite a while now.
    So, NO, the Note doesn't have GORILLA glass but it does have a glass that is the same or better.
    chrz and let's hope for no more threads on that sbj. starts to feel like a teen-problem forum here
    I got proof!

I asked Samsung myself and they replyed with the answere: Yes, the galaxy note do have Corning´s gorilla glas. We´re sorry for not making this clear.

So there you have it!