should i wait for nvidia 2?

Search This thread

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
I really like the hat-top Dpad that's on the Shield. I just dislike that it slides around.

It's miles better than some designs that just glue silicon feet to the Dpad and just stick it in there. ( I'm looking at you iControlpad :mad: )
I found a picture of what that looks like. Terrible design.:

But really, if it just had that fancy Dpad from the new xbox 360 controllers, (not sure if the Xbone does it) the one that you can twist up for a Plus pad, or twist down for a Hat top. I would not only enjoy using it because it's an extremely sturdy design, but it also fits the needs of any accustomed gamer, like yourself who prefers the Cross/Plus pad.

Like this:
41T8xwVZ1nL._SX300_.jpg

I always wondered why the dpad could slide around but still work on the Shield. That's the main thing I dislike about it and thought a regular cross would prevent. It isn't so much I like the feel of a cross but I like that it seems harder to accidentally hit diagonals on a cross type vs the circle type. The clickiness or feel of it is nice to me. I also have an iControlpad and it does feel nice but I have read many posts about the dpad coming unglued like that which is bad considering the price of that controller.

Last edited:

mudflap2.0

Apr 7, 2014
just buy the shield

you know, you should just get the shield, its like 199 at the moment, and it has the best experience for android gaming at the oment, with tons of optimized games, only reason to wait for tegra k1 is the pc feature and support for open gl 4.0+ and the 64 bit dual core cpu

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
My dream finally came true with the Shield. It's fast enough to play Betrayal at Krondor via Dosbox. But with the Tegra 4 it still isn't fast enough sometimes and the 5" screen is a bit cramped. So the Shield 2 with 5.5" screen or better and the next Tegra chip will make it even better.

But honestly, while it does have a touchscreen, I think I would like it to have a touchpad area like the PS4 controller, that would make it perfect imo, but I think it might be too cramped to implement.

cydetrakd

Apr 11, 2008
Pensacola
I just got my shield two weeks ago and I've been enjoying the crap out of it. It's the perfect device for streaming pc games, emulators are a dream come true and android games I lost interest in since I had my Xoom are pretty nice. For the price of the device this month i couldn't be any happier minus the dpad. A small complaint overall I'd recommend this device to anyone in fact two of my friends are waiting for theirs to come in.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
There isn't plans for a shield 2.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Ouya fan? ;) It is far more likely for a Shield 2 than an Ouya 2. Just kidding about the Ouya fan part. :)

S1 definitely worth the 2X price over the O1. For same flash size, the price is only a third more. Seems a no brainer for Shield over current game centric options. The Mojo is the same price or more than the Shield.

J.Guido85

Mar 23, 2011
Buffalo
Ouya fan? ;) It is far more likely for a Shield 2 than an Ouya 2. Just kidding about the Ouya fan part. :)

S1 definitely worth the 2X price over the O1. For same flash size, the price is only a third more. Seems a no brainer for Shield over current game centric options.

I'm a huge Shield Fan and was an early adopter when it was released. It has only gotten better since. The fact that when play titanfall at work while my pc is at home is AMAZING.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I'm a huge Shield Fan and was an early adopter when it was released. It has only gotten better since. The fact that when play titanfall at work while my pc is at home is AMAZING.

Really liking the Shield for Android games and especially emulators. The display would need to be 7" for me to consider playing PC games, considering that playing MC4 and NOVA 3 are too small for me on the 5" display. Display is IMO too small for 3D shooters. You miss out on a lot of the effects and visuals and harder to pick out NPCs trying to take you out (PC games in particular). Especially if they are in partial cover, or dark backgrounds.

100% get though why others find it appealing, since a 5" display is better than a 0" display :) ;)

Daniellogic

Aug 19, 2012
Would love to buy a Shield 2, the 720p display on the current gen keeps me away from buying it.

But also hope they won't put a 2K display on it, 1080p it's perfect, since my main concern is battery life :S

Zedjones

Dec 15, 2012
GA
www.youtube.com
Really liking the Shield for Android games and especially emulators. The display would need to be 7" for me to consider playing PC games, considering that playing MC4 and NOVA 3 are too small for me on the 5" display. Display is IMO too small for 3D shooters. You miss out on a lot of the effects and visuals and harder to pick out NPCs trying to take you out (PC games in particular). Especially if they are in partial cover, or dark backgrounds.

100% get though why others find it appealing, since a 5" display is better than a 0" display :) ;)

I agree with you on a lot of this. I recently picked up a Shield and decided to play the original Bioshock. But the screen is so small that unless I lowered my POV, I can barely play it. However, the streaming capability is amazing if you want to use it to stream out of town with a Micro-HDMI cable and use a wireless controller. I believe it's full 1080P.

hello

i am thinking in buy nvidia shield, but im afraid do you think they will sell nvidia 2 on this year? i dont want to buy nvidia 1 if nvidia 2 come out in next months

I waited until the price drop to pick one up, and it can still run any Android game with no sweat. And if the Shield 2 really is all that, you can always resell.

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
Depends what you want to use it for I guess. I use the Shield to play emulators only and every emulator I use works great so I am not sure I'd want to pay for a Shield 2 if it was $350 or whatever.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hello

i am thinking in buy nvidia shield, but im afraid do you think they will sell nvidia 2 on this year? i dont want to buy nvidia 1 if nvidia 2 come out in next months
    I just want a better dpad. Something that uses a real cross pattern instead of a circle.

I really like the hat-top Dpad that's on the Shield. I just dislike that it slides around.

It's miles better than some designs that just glue silicon feet to the Dpad and just stick it in there. ( I'm looking at you iControlpad :mad: )
    I found a picture of what that looks like. Terrible design.:

But really, if it just had that fancy Dpad from the new xbox 360 controllers, (not sure if the Xbone does it) the one that you can twist up for a Plus pad, or twist down for a Hat top. I would not only enjoy using it because it's an extremely sturdy design, but it also fits the needs of any accustomed gamer, like yourself who prefers the Cross/Plus pad.

Like this:
    41T8xwVZ1nL._SX300_.jpg
    16 gigs of internal memory seems really slim. I don't know why 32 or even 64 couldn't have been chosen instead. I can't imagine the price being raised that much in return. Vibration would have been great too.

I mainly use the shield for emulation though. So I just wish there was a better N64 Android emulator than mupen. I don't think its a lack of shield capability though. Just not enough advancement in the android development community.

n64oid