[Q] Double tap to wake screen

Search This thread

khumash

May 3, 2014
Is "double tap to wake screen" available for Z2? This post [*1] says it's included in 4.4. My Z2 is with 4.4.2, but I can't find the setting to turn it on.

*1: fonearena.com/blog/97620/hands-on-with-sonys-android-4-4-ui-on-a-xperia-z2-double-tap-to-wake-gestures-and-more.html

Jackos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 26, 2008
Warsaw
leidel.pl
OnePlus Open
Is "double tap to wake screen" available for Z2? This post [*1] says it's included in 4.4. My Z2 is with 4.4.2, but I can't find the setting to turn it on.

*1: fonearena.com/blog/97620/hands-on-with-sonys-android-4-4-ui-on-a-xperia-z2-double-tap-to-wake-gestures-and-more.html

Settings -> Display -> Tap to wake up

strommy1966

Mar 5, 2012

i find the double tap so frustrating ! :eek: i would say 9 times out of ten i cant get the screen to wake using this ! and it don't seem to matter where on the screen i tap or how hard , it just isn't very responsive. i use the button on the side now ! :(

khumash

May 3, 2014
i find the double tap so frustrating ! :eek: i would say 9 times out of ten i cant get the screen to wake using this ! and it don't seem to matter where on the screen i tap or how hard , it just isn't very responsive. i use the button on the side now ! :(

Same here. Hopefully there will be a customized rom that can configure that double tap sensitivity level. The current range is too narrow, you can't tap too fast or too slow. So I usually just keep tapping 3-5 times until the screen unlocks. I use the button more often too.

khumash

May 3, 2014
Probably not fast enough. If I hold the phone with just one hand, usually my thumb is not fast enough.:(

Quasar83

Dec 9, 2010
It does not matter how fast or hard you tap the screen. It almost never works here. Can anyone confirm if this can be fixed with a hard reset?

TheOnlyIntruder

Jan 13, 2009
Sony Xperia XZ1
Sony Xperia 1 II
I've just toyed around with this tap to wake and I've noticed some things about how it works.

You have to tap in the same place (you can't tap in corner and then then the other corner) and the distance seems to have only half an finger width margin of erorr, you have to use a small area to tap, so you cant tap with your whole thumb for example, it works best with just a finger tip. It doesn't matter how hard you tap but timing is important and it's roughly the same speed as a typical double click on a mouse (the faster the double tap the better).

Using this method to wake the phone is pretty redundant I think, I prefer to use the power button.

Anyway hope this helps.

Reactions: khumash

Firov

May 18, 2013
Personally I've had no problems with double tap to wake. You just have to remember to tap in exactly the same place, and at a moderate rate. If you tap too fast, it doesn't pick it up.

I do love the feature though. I use it to wake my phone up probably 80% of the time, especially when it's sitting flat on a desk. So much more convenient than hitting the power button.

Reactions: paras and khumash

strommy1966

Mar 5, 2012
i tap with my index finger in fairly rapid succession normally in the middle of the screen .. but as i have said before i find it works far less than it should ! if the phone is laying down on a hard surface it will work more often , but if i hold in one hand and tap with the other, it seems to fail . :confused:

rexboy

Apr 28, 2008
double tapping

Read most of these replies and i had the same issue regardless if i tap in the same spot, speed etc.

Anyways even though i dont wear gloves, i had this option ticked which affected the sensitivity of the screen. Once i unticked this option, the double tapping works 100% regardless of where on the screen i tap etc. you just need to tap consecutively close not seconds apart and mine never fails.

Hope this helps....

raducanmihai

Aug 24, 2011
Brașov
I noticed that also, but the circle that appears when you are close to the screen drives me nuts, so I turned it off. Instead I tap 3 times. That seems to do the trick.

evergood

Jan 6, 2013
Moscow
Hi guys! I ran into the same problem , and I hope my post will help someone. You 've probably noticed that a double tap works in virtually 100 % of cases, if the phone is lying on a flat surface and does not move. So the trick is to keep your phone in a stationary while you're tapping . If you have small hands ( like I have :D) , I recommend to keep the phone so that the lower left corner of the phone rested in the palm of your hand, and so the phone will not move. Pressing force and velocity values are not actually important. Sorry for my English and I hope somebody will find this information useful :)

Daniel_I

Jan 19, 2015
double tap

It does not matter how fast or hard you tap the screen. It almost never works here. Can anyone confirm if this can be fixed with a hard reset?
After a week of using it, i had the same problems as you guys.
Now, it's wotking just fine, everytime.
You should get used to how to tap. Not very fast, slowly is better .:good:
It's wotking fine. Don't blaim de phone, it's you to blame :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Settings -> Display -> Tap to wake up
    Personally I've had no problems with double tap to wake. You just have to remember to tap in exactly the same place, and at a moderate rate. If you tap too fast, it doesn't pick it up.

I do love the feature though. I use it to wake my phone up probably 80% of the time, especially when it's sitting flat on a desk. So much more convenient than hitting the power button.
    I've just toyed around with this tap to wake and I've noticed some things about how it works.

You have to tap in the same place (you can't tap in corner and then then the other corner) and the distance seems to have only half an finger width margin of erorr, you have to use a small area to tap, so you cant tap with your whole thumb for example, it works best with just a finger tip. It doesn't matter how hard you tap but timing is important and it's roughly the same speed as a typical double click on a mouse (the faster the double tap the better).

Using this method to wake the phone is pretty redundant I think, I prefer to use the power button.

Anyway hope this helps.